Hurricane Dorian (2019)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Central Florida theme parks change hours for Tuesday.
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/tra...0190902-veijvwdu5rhbjdwsk53xb7aeum-story.html

Threatening weather conditions from Hurricane Dorian have prompted Walt Disney World to rearrange — and sometimes curtail — Tuesday’s operating hours for its theme parks.

Meanwhile, SeaWorld Orlando posted that the theme park, as well as Aquatica water park, will be closed for the entire day Tuesday.

Magic Kingdom will be open from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Tuesday.

Epcot’s hours on Tuesday will be from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Typhoon Lagoon water park will be open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., but Blizzard Beach water park will be closed.

Disney Springs’ hours on Tuesday will be 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Disney’s Fort Wilderness campground will close at 3 p.m. on Tuesday.

I've always been curious about this, never having experienced a hurricane.

I know about hurricane shutters, but what other special things do builders use to hurricane-proof* a home? How do you keep the roof from flying off? What about things like doors, particularly large garage doors that would be easy for the wind to "shove"?

I can't imagine being in the basement would be safe, in case of flooding, so do you pretty much hunker down in an interior room without any windows?

Also, are homes built after a certain year automatically hurricane-proofed*? Or does this vary from home to home?

*I realize there is no such thing as 100% hurricane-proof. I can't think of a better word.
The post Andrew building code in Florida is tied with storm zones, i.e. the same code dose not apply everywhere. For example in east coastal counties there is a requirement for houses to be supposedly 140mph safe (or something like that. Don't remember the exact number but it is in the vicinity. There is a long list of wind mitigation methods that have to be incorporated in any house built after 2004 including strapping mentioned earlier in the thread, wind and shatter proof windows able to withstand winds utp the stated speed. Although not necessary you can get a huge discount in insurance if you have window shutters over and above that to protect from large projectiles. The garage doors remind me of a mini version of the door of a bank vault. It has to be double backed with cross braces and thick metal pieces. It is almost a site to behold.

Then there are further choices between Frame House and Cinder Block and Concrete House. A new things coming up these days is metal roof which is more durable and storm proof than wood roof, and many are replacing their existing roof with metal when they come up for renewal.

So my house is built to post Andrew 2005 code Cinder Block and Concrete House, naturally with a strapped roof and upto spec windows. In addition I have some of the heavier wall bolt mounted shutters which are an absolute pain to put on and take off, more because of their weight than just the act of screwing them in. My roof currently is single strapped. When it is renewed in another 5 or so years I plan to go double strap and metal, saves a lot on AC also.

Bottom line is, constructing a house and then getting it to pass inspection is a completely different ball game here specially in the coastal counties. The theory being that in the interior counties the storm would degrade sufficiently so as not to bother with 144mph or whatever.

One irony is that the Panhandle politicians worked hard to exempt themselves from the more stringent standards arguing that they will never get hit by powerful enough storms. And lo and behold Hurricane Michael came and wiped them out. It was amazing to see how much better those houses that were constructed to the new standard in spite of the exemption did, compared to those houses that were not and the older houses.

With the highest grade bolt on shutters in a cement concrete house, an interior room is said to be marginally safer than a regular room with windows that are properly shuttered. In fact the only room that I have with no windows is a walk in closet that still has a cement concrete exterior wall on one side. But my house is still considered to be a hurricane resistant house when it is properly shuttered, though I would not count on it making it through a direct hit from a very high 4 or a 5 storm completely unharmed. It will do a little bit better after I complete the improvements in a few years.

Luckily, so far such a powerful storm has never made landfall in this area. They have done so West Palm Beach and south.

Two thoughts:
  1. Although there are more than one wind zones in Florida, a some years back they adjusted the wind zone code for manufactured homes and they have to meet the highest wind code in the entire state, unlike site build homes
  2. On the Amtrak site they have a notice that the Silver trains are cancelled through the 3rd (Tue). However, if you try to book on the Star it shows as being cancelled through Thur (5th) but it will allow booking for Friday and beyond

ASCE Standard 7 publishes wind maps and methodologies for structural wind resistance design. International Building Code (IBC) uses the ASCE 7 wind requirements (although sometimes delayed based on revision cycles). Local jurisdictions typically (but not always) use the IBC as the basis for local building code structural requirements.

This is the current ASCE-7 wind map (2016). Values in mph (m/s).

0718-cs-1.jpg

I live in West Palm Beach Florida and have experienced about 6 hurricanes. None with the power of the current storm. I am not in Florida at this time however all indications are this is turning to the north and wont be nearly as bad as feared. We will know by this time tomorrow. Pictures from some small Bahamas Islands show massive destruction of old and new homes. Just slabs left. At sustained wind speeds of 185 mph and gusts up to 220 mph that they experienced not many homes would be left standing even with todays building codes in Florida.

I have a 2 story townhouse with a screen enclosed patio. Screen enclosure is rated to 170mph. My roof is heavily strapped. My attic floor is concrete, the floor between 2nd and 1st floor is concrete, the walls are cinder block and I have heavy duty permanently installed folding metal shutters you simply close. Shutters are designed to just keep flying objects from breaking your windows. I think the building would have survived but not the roof. And garage doors even fortified ones get destroyed quickly. Little to no basements here as the water table can be only 4 feet in lots of places.

Flooding and storm water surge kills most people though. It is reported that many in the Bahamas have simply been washed out to sea and feared dead.

Here in Melbourne so far it feels like a regular summer day with random rainstorms passing by. But that should change tonight.

Currently at 1:15pm eye wall replacement taking place. The blocking high to the North is gone and the high level trough is almost in place to provide the impetus to move north.

Come now, you at least have to be in one of the Tropical Storm Watches to claim close shave or dodging a bullet. Outside of that you are just an interested sideline observer LOL! ;) Sort of like we on the east coast were for Hurricane Michael. Well, you were actually bit more than that. At least you were in the 5 day cone for a while, but you were never in the three day cone as I recall.

Well, my 90+ y/o aunt and my first cousin will fill that role for me. They are in Camden County Ga (right on the FL border line) and they were ordred to EVAC this morning. They are in Albany, tonight.

and it appears I am in the 140mph zone.

Probably. The actual ASCE wind design methodology extrapolates between contours. Downtown Orlando is 136 mph. Local codes may or may not split hairs like that. They may settle on one wind speed for the entire municipality.

Just to nerd-out a little more, the wind map is for structure classification II which includes residences. Structures considered high risk and life-critical are designed to a higher wind speed (classifications III and IV as applicable). Classification I is for unoccupied structures where failure poses minimal risk to life - think barn.

Amtrak has posted an updated notice of the modified and/or cancelled trains through Sept 5

Amtrak to Operate Modified Schedule due to Hurricane
September 02, 2019 11:00 PM
Severe weather continues to impact Southeast

Due to severe weather impacting the Southeast, Amtrak is operating a modified schedule and cancelling select services Tuesday, September 3, to Thursday, September 5. For the safety of our customers and employees, the following trains will operate a modified schedule:

Service operating on a modified scheduled on Tuesday, September 3, includes:

The Palmetto 89 (New York – Savannah, Ga.) will operate from New York To Washington, D.C. Service is cancelled from Washington, D.C., to Richmond, Va.

The Palmetto 90 (Savannah, Ga. – New York) will operate scheduled service from Savannah to New York. Train will make all station stops.

Service operating on a modified schedule on Wednesday, September 4, and Thursday, September 5 includes:

Palmetto 89 (New York – Savannah, Ga.) will operate from New York To Richmond, Va. Service is cancelled from Richmond, Va., to Savannah, Ga.

The Palmetto 90 (Savannah, Ga. – New York) will operate Richmond, Va., to New York Service is cancelled from Savannah, Ga., to Richmond, Va.

Service cancelled from Tuesday, September 3 to Thursday, September 5, includes:

· Silver Star 91 (New York – Miami)

· Silver Meteor 97 (New York – Miami)

· Silver Star 1092 (Miami – New York)

· Silver Meteor 98 (Miami – New York)

· Auto Train 52 & 53 (Lorton, Va., - Sanford, Fla.)

I have experienced the Gulf Hurricanes, the issues that one needs to consider in a large storm if you are going to ride it out. First the wind gusts can be significantly more than the sustained winds and these gusts may just be too much after hours and hours of sustained 100+ mph winds. Our rule was evacuate with Cat 3 and above. Second thing to consider is how long do you want to survive with no running water or electricity. Do you have a generator? If not, what if the power is off for a week or two? A friend of mine in Bay City Texas, 25 miles off the coast, built a brick house with bolts positioned around each window for easy on and off of very thick coverings he bolts on. This includes his sliding glass door. He build his slab for his house higher than most others with drainage trenches to quickly rid the property of runoff water. Though the roof is secured according to code, he also feels any storm above a Cat 3 there are no guarantees. Look at Houston when Harvey dumped several feet of rain after blowing away coastal areas with wind and storm surge near Corpus Christi. My cousin in Florida makes sure his trees are cut back from the house and checks for any with weak roots. He has his windows and doors protected, he checked the elevation of the property before buying the house for flooding and heavy water run off, he also has a big generator capable of running everything, including AC for his wife, so they can live close to normal. Their pantry is always fully stocked before each season to survive for a few weeks. They also have the extra bathroom stocked with 5 gal heavy duty water containers (these are stored away in the attic until a storm presents a danger). They use the tub for water for the toilet. Planning and preparation well in advance of the season is the key to survival. This includes a predetermined evacuation point and where you will go and a prepared list of what you will take. These storms are life and death situations, you can NOT presume anything.

Probably. The actual ASCE wind design methodology extrapolates between contours. Downtown Orlando is 136 mph. Local codes may or may not split hairs like that. They may settle on one wind speed for the entire municipality.

Just to nerd-out a little more, the wind map is for structure classification II which includes residences. Structures considered high risk and life-critical are designed to a higher wind speed (classifications III and IV as applicable). Classification I is for unoccupied structures where failure poses minimal risk to life - think barn.
Jokingly they say that there is a special classification VII which is used by Disney, so that they can stay open through the worst and entertain their customers at least in their hotels :)

Strange that my grandparents lived in Sarasota from the early 1950s until the early 1980s and never experienced a hurricane. Torrential rains, sometimes high winds, they lived right on the bay; their house, built in 1950, was never damaged. I never gave a thought to hurricanes after my mom moved there, until Hurricane Camille. Hard to believe anyone in the panhandle would see the damage done to Biloxi, Gulfport and all that area and think it wasn't possible in that part of Florida

I'm waiting to see if the Star will be running this Sat - I have had my tickets for several months
...and I'm waiting to see if the Meteor will be running this Saturday.

Brightline resumes service Wednesday 9/4

Dear Guest:

Brightline will resume service on Wednesday, Sept. 4 with $10 fares through Sunday, Sept. 8.

The schedule is available at www.gobrightline.com and guests are encouraged to monitor Brightline on Twitter and Facebook for real-time service updates.

Jokingly they say that there is a special classification VII which is used by Disney, so that they can stay open through the worst and entertain their customers at least in their hotels :)

For Hurricane Frances, my grandparents evacuated to a hotel on Disney property. Even though they received winds close to hurricane force, the hotel never lost power. Meanwhile, those of us who stayed were without power for a week, only to lose it again with Jeanne a week later. :(

Random update. Sister now staying into Thursday and flying home out of Orlando. Her flight was canceled, everything else was full in minutes. Polynesia Hotel was like “no problem we got space”, they did charge her, but at a discount rate. Same room, so no need to move.

Last edited:
I "weathered" the storm overnight very well. We did not lose power and I do not see much damage outside. I went out to clean leaves from the drains in our parking lot and experienced some strong winds and light rain, but did not get "blown away." A friend's parents live in Titusville near the coast. They lost power at 6am. Although our local tv stations are still covering Dorian 24/7 and there has been no newspaper delivery this morning, some things are getting back to normal (the YMCA will open at 9am and at least one garbage truck is on the road).

Still no update from Amtrak regarding Silvers on Friday and Saturday. I think a lot will depend on what happens in Charleston (regarding the Meteor).

Back