Looking for timing suggestions for May/June 2020 west coast loop

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velotrain

Service Attendant
I realize this may not be the best forum for this, but then don't see a more appropriate one either.

Given that our "dear leader" and the Amtrak czar both seem intent on destroying the LD system, I'm thinking I should do a trip while I still can. I've just started looking into this last night and so far my basic plan is:

LSL Boston to Chicago
Zephyr to Sacramento - possible overnights and day in Denver and Salt Lake City - But 3 AM ???
- Possible? overnights and day in Sacramento
San Joaquin service to Bakersfield and Connecting bus to Barstow - looks like I can do this in one day
- with an early start and catch the train as it comes through that night
Chief from Barstow - possible overnights and day in Albuquerque
- NM RailRunner (very handsome trainset) to Sante Fe (overnight $$$???) and bus south to Lamy ?
LSL Chicago to Boston

I'm figuring 11-13 days including the overnight city stays and same day in and out of Chicago both ways. The possible overnights are cities that I haven't visited, while I have seen enough of LA and SF, so are avoiding them and the attendant congestion. I need to research these places to decide just how much interest each might have for me - and lodging costs reasonably near the station. I'll be going coach, so getting off the train will allow me to shower at least every two days, and have real meals (I don't buy Amtrak "food").

I've chosen a counter-clockwise route mostly because of the Day/Night map from Trains magazine. I just realized the schedules may have changed since then, but wouldn't expect by much? They based it on the autumnal equinox, so I figure the closer to the solstice I go I'll have that much more daylight viewing.

Also, maybe three decades ago, my employer sent me to a conference in Scottsdale and I decided to make it a combo trip. I took the Chief, got off in Flagstaff and cycled to Scottsdale through some fine scenery. Actually, I'd been in the area the previous summer and spotted a small ledge some ways south of Flagstaff that I decided I wanted to sleep on - hoping I didn't roll off during the night.

When the conference ended I caught the Sunset in Maricopa (or was it Tucson?), but got off to explore San Antonio for a day, riding the downtown River Walk loop on a quiet weekday morning. Back on the Sunset I went to N'awleans to visit a painter friend from Boston who had moved down there. After two days of riding around the city - hoping I wouldn't get shot (N.O. was like that back then), I took the Crescent and NEC regional services back to Boston. So - not that I remember much of the route, but wanted to ride the Chief the other way this time.

I'm considering this trip for next May or June. For those with experience, when would be the best time to view a "western spring" but balanced for maximum daylight? Or, is even May too late for that? I have thought that it might still be mid-late spring in the mountains but early summer in the west. I remember seeing a lot of flowing water - and wanting to canoe it - in April on the earlier trip, but suspect that will be over by this time?

Another consideration is how crowded the trains might be - would it make sense to go around Memorial Day or Father's Day with the idea that many folks might have other plans then, or are these routes always full? I do like window seats, and realize my off-on plans might make that difficult or impossible.

Also, does it make financial sense to book the two western segments as multi-city trips?
From a prior post, I gather the RailRunner ride and bus to Lamy may not allow that as Amtrack expects a contiguous trip, although I could go back to Albuquerque? I've seen a comment that multi-city doesn't allow you to change your plans as you go, but once I make up my mind I invariably do what I planned to do, so have never bought travel insurance. I don't carry a phone, so a change would be difficult anyway.

Lastly, does day of week timing make any difference at any point on this itinerary?
- Places to avoid on weekends?

I've copied all the timetables, including the bus, so will start working on a more detailed draft schedule.

If you will be bringing a bike with you, I suggest skipping the Denver and Salt Lake stops and instead plan to stop at Glenwood Springs, arriving Friday and departing Monday. Until the 3rd week of May, you can rent a car at the Enterprise office near the Amtrak station for a 3-day weekend total all-in price of $52, picking up on Friday afternoon and returning Monday afternoon. Ride the bike along the bike trail through Glenwood Canyon, or along the bike trail from Glenwood Springs to Aspen, or drive over to eastern Utah and ride the slick rock trails near Moab and Dead Horse Point State Park or Arches National Park.

Sacramento could be getting rather hot by then, so a stopover in Truckee might make more sense and ride the trails to the north shore of Lake Tahoe.

Then reboard the CZ the next day to Emeryville, overnight in the Bay Area, and take the Coast Starlight the next morning to San Luis Obispo or Santa Barbara for another night, then train to LA to connect with the SWC to Albuquerque or Lamy. You can book a shuttle to ride from Lamy to Santa Fe if you choose not to take the Road Runner from ABQ to Santa Fe.

I haven't been riding a bike for two years. The tumor had more recently damaged some neck nerves so I can't do a shoulder turn anymore, and I also have balance issues. I was mostly an urban rider by choice and led "Mean Street" rides in Boston for a decade. I miss the bike the most in terms of urban exploration, as I felt I could see more of a city in a day than some folks who lived there all their lives.

I will investigate the Glenwood option, as I might wish to rent a car for a day to explore that area, but suspect too many stops will jack up my ticket price - I guess I'll need to weigh city vs. country, with part of it being that to me a city can offer a lot of options within a contained area. Since I won't have a bike, I'll need to research what interests me and how much of it I can cover in a day with public transportation. I'll also check if Truckee is more appealing than Sacramento to a non-cyclist. I'll need to spend an afternoon and night in Sacramento or split with Bakersfield anyway, and suspected the former has more to offer.

Non-related optional travelogue reading

Your mention of San Luis Obispo reminds me of another combo trip - my most complex ever. I was being sent to a week-long conference in Anaheim, and the next week a three-day one for some software that I supported, at the Coronado in San Diego. There was no way I wasn't going to use some vacation time with that.

I flew into LAX and found a bus driver to drop my conference gear clothes bag at the hotel in Anaheim for a tip, then rode around L.A. a little. I recall walking up a pretty wooded trail with a small stream alongside, I think off Sunset, with a view of Griffith Observatory on the next ridge over from the top, then sleeping out in a golf course. I took the Starlight the next day to S.F., opening the vestibule window in the middle of the night and enjoyed the smell of the mountain air, as the train was climbing quite slowly.

I rode all around Frisco for a couple of days, out to the ruins of Sutro Baths and crossing the Golden Gate and taking a ferry back. Of course I'd heard of this thing called a mountain bike in Marin County, but didn't feel up to trying to find where it was, although thought the trails were somewhere near the bridge. I was planning to ride back all the way to L.A. and spent a night in one of the lighthouse hostels just after starting out, and another night wild camping in some bushes next to the ocean. Earlier that evening I had ridden past Eselen, which I'd heard of, and for a minute considered trying to stay there, but in the end rode on for a little ways.

The total distance wasn't that long, but it was March so I had zero training and there had been a storm at sea so there was a headwind instead of the normal tailwind. I found myself in San Luis Obispo, realizing that I needed to take the train. I was planning to ride down to S.D. over the weekend, and at the Anaheim conference I found a guy speaking at the next one and he was willing to carry my nice clothes for me, and I got back to my room one night and a cyclist staff member had copied and marked the route on some 20 sheets of paper taped together - a nice thought but it would be rather unwieldy to reference while on a bike, and I had brought adequate maps with me - as always.

I saw the No Bike signs for the Coronado Bridge, but the timing was tight for the conference reception that Sunday evening so I took my chances. However, I hadn't gone far before a kind city bus driver stopped and I put the bike on the front rack and he scolded me, saying that it would have been an expensive ticket (or was it worse?). While there I took the tram to Tijuana and the hardest part was struggling with my bike and panniers and conference clothes bag onto the train to get back to Los Angeles and the airport. I did take taxis on both ends in Boston as it was still winter here.

Your trip sounds interesting, My only thoughts are, I like spending some time in Sacramento. I think Bakersfield is a much better option for spending the night than Barstow, unless it affects your schedule.

Thanks - if you're willing, just what do you like about/in Sacramento.

> I think Bakersfield is a much better option for spending the night than Barstow, unless it affects your schedule.

Actually, I can make it in one day from Sacramento, so don't need to stay in either.

I have a Granddaughter I promised a multiple night train trip to, so am planning SMC so we get the 421 sleeper before SAS, then breakfast in LA before departing on the CS to Seattle. She loves ferry’s so will spend a couple days there before taking the EB to CHI where I have arranged for her to link up for a few days with some friends she hasn’t seen since she moved from suburban Chicago with her parents. Finally, complete the loop on the TE. Haven’t bought the trip yet, but am looking at first week in June before travel is heavy, School is out for her on the 27th. She more than loves train travel. She has been on several overnight trips already with me.

If you want to stay in Sacramento, Old Town is good for an afternoon. And there is a light rail line that runs around downtown. The Capitol Building has a nice park around it.

Reno would also be a worthy contender for a night or two. Downtown's lights are nice and the Truckee River is nice to walk down. There is also a surprising number of sushi places if that's your thing.

If you want to make an over night of the Oakland area, it's something. There is a lot of food options and breweries scattered around the Berkeley/Emeryville/Oakland area.

As for cross country trips, someday I want to take the Sunset Limited to New Orleans. Then take the Crescent to Washington then a Regional to see my family in New Jersey. I'm not sure if I'd want to take the train all the way back or just fly.

As for cross country trips, someday I want to take the Sunset Limited to New Orleans. Then take the Crescent to Washington then a Regional to see my family in New Jersey. I'm not sure if I'd want to take the train all the way back or just fly.

I've decided on 24 hours in Denver, a night in Sacramento and possibly two, and nights each in Albuquerque and Sante Fe.

==>> Please cease suggesting alternate itineraries for me - or yourselves, as I now have that settled. thank you

Your trip sounds interesting, My only thoughts are, I like spending some time in Sacramento. I think Bakersfield is a much better option for spending the night than Barstow, unless it affects your schedule.

There is a nice Best Western one block from the Bakersfield Amtrak station. I've stayed there twice and recommend it.

OK, I see what you are trying to do, San Joaquin to Bakersfield, bus to Barstow. That way you miss the big city. My only thoughts are the bus to LA is a much safer connection, Union Station is an attraction worth seeing, plenty of places to eat, Olvera Street for one, Phillipis another. Barstow, the pits!

"My only thoughts are the bus to LA is a much safer connection"

How so? Does the Barstow bus ever get cancelled, break down often?
Amtrak schedules show it getting into Barstow two hours before the Chief, so it would have to be running veeeeeeeeeery late for that to be an issue.

I've spent time in LA - been in the station three times, and SF and am not interested in doing so again on this trip.
Also don't see the point in wasting time going someplace I don't want to - in two directions.

Besides that - I didn't look at the LA bus schedule, but suspect taking the San Joaquin service at 9:50 AM - I don't like rushing in the morning, gets me into Bakersfield too late for a LA bus that will be there for a same-day Chief departure? I like this set-up because it gets me from Sacramento to the eastbound Chief in a single day. There are earlier San Joaquin services that work, but the bus only leaves Bakersfield once a day at 4:05 PM - timed to connect with the train I'm taking down.

I'm only stopping in cities that are new to me and have no fondness for lalaland.

Last edited:
I will - for all of the two hours I'm there, sounds perfect for a quick dinner ;-)

==>> BTW - due to lack of relevant responses, I'll no longer monitor this thread.

Back