Hurricane Dorian (2019)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Service Suspensions:

Amtrak to Temporarily Suspend Service in Florida
August 29, 2019 03:45 PM

Severe weather expected to impact Southeast

Due to severe weather expected to impact Florida and the Southeast, Amtrak is canceling select southeast services beginning on Saturday, Aug. 31. For the safety of our customers and employees, the following trains will not operate.

Service canceled from Saturday, Aug. 31, to Monday, Sept. 2 includes:

• Silver Star 91 (New York – Miami)

• Silver Meteor 97 (Miami – New York)

Service canceled from Saturday, Aug. 31, to Tuesday, Sept. 3 includes:

• Silver Star 91 & 92 (New York – Miami)

• Silver Meteor 97 & 98 (Miami – New York)

Service canceled from Sunday, Sept. 1, to Tuesday, Sept. 3 includes:

• Auto Train 52 & 53 (Lorton, Va., - Sanford, Fla.)

Bus transportation will not be provided for canceled trains. Service will be restored pending improved conditions.

Anyone planning to travel should check their train status on Amtrak.com or our smartphone apps prior to departing, allow extra time to get to the station and be extremely careful in stations and on platforms.

Customers with reservations on trains that are being modified will typically be accommodated on trains with similar departure times or another day. Amtrak will gladly waive additional charges for customers looking to change their reservation during the modified schedule by calling our reservation center at 800-USA-RAIL.

Anyone can subscribe to automated email or text message notifications if Amtrak trains are behind schedule at specific stations. Notifications can be given for up to six trains and stations by either text or email and delivered when you choose - on a single day, every day, or just certain days of the week. Create a subscription at Amtrak.com/DelayAlerts.

To be notified of service disruptions on the Northeast Corridor (including Acela, Northeast Regional and other corridor services), follow @AmtrakNECAlerts on Twitter. For service information outside the Northeast Corridor, please follow @AmtrakAlerts for updates.

Customers with travel plans can review refund information on Amtrak.com. Service Alerts, Passenger Notices, and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/Alerts.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.
https://www.amtrak.com/alert/amtrak-to-temporarily-suspend-service-in-florida.html

Just got a robo-call from Amtrak, my Autotrain booking on 9/2 out of Sanford is officially cancelled!

Amtrak has now posted on their website lists of trains in Florida that will be cancelled, beginning Sunday for the Auto Train and beginning Saturday for the others.
Cancelations extend thru Tuesday, so far.

:(

I honestly don't think I can ever get hubby to agree to a train trip again.

Well, my fault for booking during hurricane season. Thankfully we do have insurance.

Last edited:
The holding time is long and I bet the Amtrak reps are swamped so I will ask here.

Will I receive a full refund? Is there anything I need to do? I know if I cancel there will be penalty but now Amtrak canceled so I am hoping for better options.

Last edited:
All right, flights booked. Let's hope Dorian doesn't mess that up too.

Good luck to everyone else who is affected.

Last edited:
Is that like my "blizzard wine"? :)

Thinking of you guys. <3 I hope everything turns out okay.

Thanks.
Hahaha - very similar to "blizzard wine." I also have hurricane beer and wine. I usually buy hurricane ice cream and "have" to eat it before the storm just in case the power goes out and it would melt. The big joke around here is that all hurricane snacks are pretty much gone by the time the hurricane arrives.

This storm looks very scary and the entire State is pretty much on pins and needles waiting to see where it will hit.

Here is the Amtrak 7:15pm advisory:
August 29, 2019 07:15PM

Severe weather expected to impact Southeast

Due to severe weather expected to impact Florida and the Southeast, Amtrak is canceling select southeast services beginning on Friday, Aug. 30. For the safety of our customers and employees, the following trains will not operate.

Service canceled between Jacksonville and Miami on Friday, Aug 30 includes:

• Silver Star 91

• Silver Meteor 97

Service canceled between Miami and Jacksonville on Saturday, Aug 31 includes:

• Silver Meteor 98

• Silver Star 92

Service cancelled from Saturday, Aug. 31 to Monday, Sept. 2 includes:

• Silver Star 91 (New York – Miami)

• Silver Meteor 97 (New York – Miami)

Service canceled from Sunday, Sept. 1 to Tuesday, Sept. 3 includes:

• Silver Star 92 (Miami – New York)

Service cancelled from Saturday, Aug. 31 to Monday, Sept. 2 includes:

• Auto Train 52 (Sanford, Fla. – Lorton, Va.)

• Auto Train 53 (Lorton, Va., – Sanford, Fla.)

Service canceled from Sunday, Sept. 1 to Tuesday, Sept. 3 includes:

• Silver Meteor 98 (Miami – New York)

Bus transportation will not be provided for canceled trains. Service will be restored pending improved conditions.

Anyone planning to travel should check their train status on Amtrak.com or our smartphone apps prior to departing, allow extra time to get to the station and be extremely careful in stations and on platforms.

Customers with reservations on trains that are being modified will typically be accommodated on trains with similar departure times or another day. Amtrak will gladly waive additional charges for customers looking to change their reservation during the modified schedule by calling our reservation center at 800-USA-RAIL.

Anyone can subscribe to automated email or text message notifications if Amtrak trains are behind schedule at specific stations. Notifications can be given for up to six trains and stations by either text or email and delivered when you choose - on a single day, every day, or just certain days of the week. Create a subscription at Amtrak.com/DelayAlerts.

To be notified of service disruptions on the Northeast Corridor (including Acela, Northeast Regional and other corridor services), follow @AmtrakNECAlerts on Twitter. For service information outside the Northeast Corridor, please follow @AmtrakAlerts for updates.

Customers with travel plans can review refund information on Amtrak.com. Service Alerts, Passenger Notices and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/Alerts.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.
It appears that both 91 and 97 will terminate in JAX tomorrow (Friday).

I am a cruise ship that is to return to Mia on Monday. Plan was to fly to Jax where my car is. Doesn’t look like that will happen. If coast guard closes FL Ports we may end up in Mobile. Life is getting interesting. Just glad I am now on the ship and not one of the 2000 people hoping to board her in MIA on Monday.

I am a cruise ship that is to return to Mia on Monday. Plan was to fly to Jax where my car is. Doesn’t look like that will happen. If coast guard closes FL Ports we may end up in Mobile. Life is getting interesting. Just glad I am now on the ship and not one of the 2000 people hoping to board her in MIA on Monday.

Be safe!

I think Amtrak jumped the gun a bit on the cancellations as it seems the landfall may not even be until Tuesday. This could be quite a long suspension in service and will likely majorly affect ridership numbers for these trains for this year. All three had an improvement over last year but this outage will likely decimate that and we are early in hurricane season.

Last edited:
As much as I love to lob insults at Amtrak’s management. And all of you probably know that. I really can’t throw one now because it could be CSX forcing the early shut down. Standard hurricane preparation entails taking all of the crossing gates down. And in a state the size of Florida that could potentially take some serious time.

Do I think we should use the Amtrak equipment and commuter equipment to evacuate people north out of Florida. Definitely that would be good Pr.

Do I think we should use the Amtrak equipment and commuter equipment to evacuate people north out of Florida. Definitely that would be good Pr.

Oh the impossible task of evacuation of the entire state of Florida.

The storm has slowed down, and the rain will be heavy, but hopefully the storm surge will be lessened. Sister schedule to fly out of Orlando on Tuesday night. Not looking good.

Thanks.
Hahaha - very similar to "blizzard wine." I also have hurricane beer and wine. I usually buy hurricane ice cream and "have" to eat it before the storm just in case the power goes out and it would melt. The big joke around here is that all hurricane snacks are pretty much gone by the time the hurricane arrives.

This storm looks very scary and the entire State is pretty much on pins and needles waiting to see where it will hit.
Stay safe Penny, Jis and all Floridians. Have friends and relatives all over the state. I think hurricanes, hot summers, snakes, alligators and traffic are the reasons we live in rural Ohio...many smiles. Wishing you all the best! B&C

Use old milk jugs, triple wash out. Fill with water, store in a basement, garage, shed, or back of a closet. Rotation of stock is important, but even if you don’t your not spending all day trying to get water to wash yourself after a disaster. Anything you do to be ready, will help your peace of mind after a disaster event.

Also for the ladies always wear flats or sneakers to a wedding. Those Zombies are hard to runaway from in high heels.

Brightline is suspending service. I just received the following email from them:
Dear Guest:

Based on Hurricane Dorian’s current path and anticipated high winds, Brightline will be operating on an alternate schedule on Saturday, August 31. Our final northbound and southbound departures from West Palm Beach and Miami will depart at 12:00 pm. Fares have also been reduced to $5 as guests make final storm preparations.

Brightline’s alternate schedule of southbound trains include an 8:00 a.m., 9:00 a.m.,10:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. departure from West Palm Beach and northbound train departing Virgin MiamiCentral at 10:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. Service will be suspended after the 12:00 p.m. departures both north and southbound at 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, August 31.

Please monitor gobrightline on Twitter and Facebook as well www.gobrightline.com and our mobile app for real-time service updates.

For accurate weather updates visit the www.nhc.noaa.gov

Stay Safe,

Brightline

If you save some of those translucent white milk (or other) jugs ... wash them out and fill them with water almost full, leave a couple inches. With one of those small round LED flashlights, the ones that only take one or two AA batteries, poke the flashlight through a small piece of cardboard and lay that on top of the jug with the lid off the jug. Let the lit end of the light extend down into the neck of the jug. The whole jug of water will light up like a lamp and shed more light than you would imagine from a small light.

Back