Texas Eagle 422 SAS Missed Connections?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an upcoming trip in October on the Texas Eagle ELP-CHI booked in the thru train 422 (roomette). With reports of abysmal on time performance of all Western trains as of late, I'm wondering if there is much history of the Eastbound Sunset Limited arriving in SAS too late to catch the Northbound Texas Eagle? The layover is scheduled at just over two hours.

On booking, it seemed ideal that one can just stay in one's accommodations during the switching of trains in San Antonio. However, now I'm nervous of the possibility of a missed connection and what the options become? Would one end up spending an entire day and night in San Antonio? I assume in this case hotel is Amtrak's expense? Thanks for the help and any advice!

I experienced this once about 20 years ago. I was in a roomette. We were running about 3 hours late. I assumed 22 would hold. I had just finished breakfast and the conductor stopped by my room to inform me that I would be on a bus to Dallas. We beat 22 by a couple of hours. I had time to go up in the Texas book depository.

Here’s an alert from 4 days ago. But from what I’ve seen this is fairly rare, I wouldn’t worry very much about being that late.

Update: Texas Eagle Train 22 scheduled to depart San Antonio (SAS) on 7/26 will now have an estimated departure time of 10-10:30am CT. Connecting passengers from late inbound Train 422 will be provided bus transportation from SAS to Longview (LVW) and meet Train 22 at LVW.

I actually liked the fact that it got into LA late last Friday. Who wants to get into LA at 5:30 in the morning. It showed up at a nice time of about 7:30.

Jim

Back