New Canada-US Customs Pre-Clearance

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the Montrealer’s lePub cars is preserved at the Tennessee Central Railway Museum in Nashville. Complete with its LePub interior. The electric piano is there however three hours of attempting to get it to work I was never able to manage it.

One of the Montrealer’s lePub cars is preserved at the Tennessee Central Railway Museum in Nashville. Complete with its LePub interior. The electric piano is there however three hours of attempting to get it to work I was never able to manage it.
I have had some truly memorable times in one of those LePubs. Both alcohol and women were involved. :p

IIRC, at times the Montrealer featured both a full heritage diner, and the Le Pub lounge. I have also been aboard when the passenger's "partied hardy", especially on Friday night trips. I also recall there being a paid piano player at times, and volunteer passenger performances other's.
And...one more thing...I believe there was at some time a thru Montreal/Miami 10-6 sleeper conveyed to one of the Florida trains at WAS.

Here’s a Montrealer consist from May 1974

257 E8A
256 E8A
1409 Baggage Dorm
Sleeper Everglades
Sleeper (CP Rail**) Chateau Richelieu
Sleeper (CP Rail**) Chateau Lauzon
8301 Diner-Lounge
3301 Le Pub
5803 Coach
4575 Coach
5287 Coach
5283 Coach

**Amtrak leased CP Rail Sleepers (this was 2 years before anyone had even heard of VIA).....and used them on the Montrealer, Broadway and Florida trains.

To provide some further context around the subject of Toronto Canada service from the US, The Maple Leaf started operating in 1981 and was considered to be an immediate success. It was made possible by Canada (VIA) operating it as their train in Canada thus not requiring any support from US tax payers for the run through Canada.

On Amtrak Day, May 1, 1971 there was still a Buffalo-Toronto service... jointly operated by Penn Central**, TH&B, CP Rail. (**Yes, Penn Central was still in the intercity passenger business besides commuter trains) It used CP RDC ‘Dayliner’ equipment. After VIA took over from CP Rail and Conrail from Penn Central….it was then a jointly operated Conrail-VIA train and lasted until the Maple Leaf was inaugurated in '81.

On Amtrak Day, May 1, 1971 there was still a Buffalo-Toronto service... jointly operated by Penn Central**, TH&B, CP Rail. (**Yes, Penn Central was still in the intercity passenger business besides commuter trains) It used CP RDC ‘Dayliner’ equipment. After VIA took over from CP Rail and Conrail from Penn Central….it was then a jointly operated Conrail-VIA train and lasted until the Maple Leaf was inaugurated in '81.
Yes. Amtrak advertised that connection though did not always provide a timetable for it.

Yes. Amtrak advertised that connection though did not always provide a timetable for it.
Penn Central did...although you might have to go to Buffalo to get a copy of the single sheet printing. They also included it in their “East/West” TT, while that lasted.
PC was actually very good about producing timetables for all their various passenger trains, as long as they ran them. And Conrail as well. I have sheets for the Valpo and Crown Point locals, as well as the Cleveland/Youngstown and Pittsburgh/College locals...

IIRC, at times the Montrealer featured both a full heritage diner, and the Le Pub lounge. I have also been aboard when the passenger's "partied hardy", especially on Friday night trips. I also recall there being a paid piano player at times, and volunteer passenger performances other's.
And...one more thing...I believe there was at some time a thru Montreal/Miami 10-6 sleeper conveyed to one of the Florida trains at WAS.
Unfortunately I was accompanied by small children at the times I travelled, so never made it to the bar. We were in a standard Amtrak 10-6 sleeper every time. I do recall a through sleeper, but it either didn't work for us or wasn't offered at the time. One notable memory on a northbound Montrealer connecting from Florida, was a wonderful woman who was the "onboard chief" (if I recall the correct title of the day). She took my young daughter on a tour of the entire train (making dad jealous) and they returned with snacks from the café car. My daughter talked about it for years afterwards.

Nice shot. I have a print of the Larry Fisher painting of the reverse angle of Hamilton station in the 50's hanging in my home. As a child my first "long-distance" train ride was from Toronto to Hamilton and back. Lots of memories associated with that station. Now it and points even further away are commuter runs.

Here’s the schedule in the Oct 1975 CP Rail Timetable for the jointly operated CP-TH&B-Penn Central train:

And the jointly operated VIA-Conrail train from Oct 1979.

There were several iterations of the Niagara Rainbow name on various trains. In addition to the one mentioned serving Toronto, there were also two versions of the NY to Detroit train above - one that ran sealed through Ontario and one that made stops.

I rode the Niagara Rainbow from Detroit to Fort Erie, Ontario in November 1977. Canada Customs came aboard in Windsor and asked me a couple of questions as I was getting off in Fort Erie, but I don’t believe Americans “just passing through” were even inspected......probably just a head-count. We had to remain in the last car and I remember that the attendant from the snack car would come back every so often to take our food orders. I got off in Fort Erie but anyone in that last car who got on in Canada would have been inspected by US officials in Black Rock.

And since I had already cleared customs in Windsor….I could get off for a picture in St. Thomas ON.

I believe the this was the only train where you buy an Amtrak ticket and ride between two Canadian stations. I remember the CTC (Canadian Transport Commission) was reluctant to grant this authority as they felt it would open up a case for Amtrak to apply for a subsidy to operate the service. The only other Amtrak timetable I can find without restrictions on stops in Canada is for the original ‘Pacific International’ with stops at New Westminster and White Rock BC. Don’t know if you could actually ride between there and Vancouver:

http://www.timetables.org/full.php?group=19721029&item=0057

Ah, the days when crossing the border was often little more than a friendly greeting in either direction. Then when "cross-border shopping" for Canadians became an issue, the fear was of Canadian Customs catching that you'd brought back too much stuff. Before the first free-trade agreement the exemptions were so low there would often be a long line of returning Canadians emptying their cars at the checkpoint. Of course terror threats and the recent spate of new tariffs has done away with most of the good will in both directions.

The best was crossing on the train. Until the current nonsense on the Maple Leaf started I had probably done dozens in both directions on a train, including the Montrealer, Maple Leaf and International. I regret never doing any of the "Rainbows" but they didn't fit into travel plans.

Was White Rock actually a passenger stop or simply the Customs location? Same for Blaine, WA?

Don’t know. There’s nothing in the footnotes indicating it’s just a customs stop and you can't board there like today’s schedule for the Adirondack where it says Lacolle QC is not a passenger stop – customs only.

Used to love to ride the Empire State Express, and later Niagara Rainbow between Buffalo and Detroit...
In the early years of Amtrak, prior to the Lake Shore starting operations, the only way to get from upstate NY to the west, without backtracking thru NYC, was "by way of Canada"...
The RDC to Toronto was the only link for awhile.

Prior to Amtrak, and before the Penn Central, the New York Central/Michigan Central ran a few thru New York / Chicago trains that way.
Some passenger's were probably not even aware that they traveled thru a "foreign country" enroute, and blissfully slept thru the two border crossing's undisturbed in those simpler times...no passport or even ID required...

Absolutely, and we were joined by passengers from the Aruba flight, which also supposedly had pre-clearance. We (and they) thought everyone had completed the formalities before boarding the plane, but should have realized when customs forms were handed out shortly before arrival in ORD. The subject was covered on the Flyertalk website frequently back then, but pre-dates the AA merger with US Air which makes references difficult to find. This was also during a rough period in the relationship between AA and Aer Lingus, which meant no lounge access in DUB.:(

I see. Too bad US Customs in Dublin didn't totally process your customs clearance while over there, and made you do it at O'Hare! Since I remember myself and my family got the customs process all totally done at Dublin's preclearance facility, before we boarded our plane back to the US when my family all did a 2017 trip.

Back