Sometimes AMTRAK stinks!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least our Empire Builder sleeper car did for most of the trip from CHI to PDX. The car attendant announced a plumbing issue the first day and locked the restrooms, telling us to use the facilities in adjacent cars. That was inconvenient, but the real unpleasantness was the smell that began to spread through the car soon after the toilets were closed.
I should have asked them to move me to another car, I guess, but I did not think of that. I know that they would have fixed whatever failed if that were possible, so I did not complain at the time.
Will AMTRAK give me a voucher or something if I complain about this?

Fish stinks from the head (CEO) down.

Being serious though yes a thoughtfully written email, letter or phone call should net you at least 50 percent of the accommodation charge in the form of a voucher or if your lucky a refund.

My last and only complaint in the last couple years netted me the entire accommodation charge $324.90 refunded to my credit card. Odors in room and visible grime in vents above my head in upper bunk. I took photos, printed them out on normal paper then mailed them certified to Customer relations with a letter.

Also included in letter was the fact our checked bags were not offloaded at our station on Christmas morning which was a hassle. Amtrak doesn’t deliver lost bags to your door like the airlines do. So we had to go back to the station 6 hours later to retrieve bags.

All things considered your issue sounds worse than ours was so give it a shot.

Last edited:
Fish stinks from the head (CEO) down.

Being serious though yes a thoughtfully written email, letter or phone call should net you at least 50 percent of the accommodation charge in the form of a voucher or if your lucky a refund.

My last and only complaint in the last couple years netted me the entire accommodation charge $295 refunded to my credit card. Odors in room and visible grime in vents above my head in upper bunk. I took photos, printed them out on normal paper then mailed them certified to Customer relations with a letter.

Also included in letter was the fact our checked bags were not offloaded at our station on Christmas morning which was a hassle. Amtrak doesn’t delivery lost bags to your door like the airlines do. So we had to deal with that Christmas Day.

All things considered your issue sounds worse than ours was so give it a shot.
I have heard people report Amtrak delivering bags to their hotels, homes, etc.

After Alan's death on the Crescent, some of his luggage ended up in New Orleans. Amtrak arranged for the luggage to be shipped by Federal Express to Alan's brother's house. I believe Amtrak was extremely accommodating.

They did for me in Wilmington. We got off the Crescent (hours late) then went to baggage claim. They said there were no bags for Wilmington on the train and had an attitude about it. I told them they were wrong as I had checked two bags through. They asked me if I had claim tickets. When I produced them, they suddenly became apologetic and found out they were forgotten. They were pulled off the train in Philadelphia and put on the first train back and were delivered to our hotel 2 hours later.
Amtrak also gave me a partial refund due to the delay (which cost me a loss of my reservation for the first night at the NJ coast and subsequent high cost to stay overnight in Wilmington since I had to pick up a car from the local Hertz which was long since closed for the day).

I always wondered what they would have done had we caught the rental car and been able to drive that evening to NJ. Would they make us wait the2 hours? When we were told our bags had to arrive in Philadelphia then be transferred for a return trip, they were not sure how long it would take.

Is there any regular "refresh" or "renovation" program that the Superliners or Viewliners are being cycled through? I would guess not, as the sleepers are really start to show wear and tear, but just curious.

Not to sound like a broken record but anecdotally with the Superliners I’ve never seen them as bad as they have been the last two years (Anderson’s reign) especially my main train the SWC.

The remodeled Superliner 1’s with the fake wood siding/laminate in the room hallways still look amazing though. The 2’s need a refresh badly. I was talking about that with an attendant last trip. They look better then the newer cars. From my observations the cleaning budget or actual deep cleaning has been slashed it’s apparent.

We’re off GBB to FUL on the SWC again on Thursday so be interesting to what this trip brings us.

Back