Closest mountain hotels/cabins to Amtrak in GA or SC? I'm in Jax FL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One option could be take Silver Service from JAX to Raleigh, NC and then take a Piedmont/Carolinian to Greensboro. Greensboro is just under a two-hour drive to the beautiful mountains around Boone, NC. Go on a football Saturday in October and enjoy the fall folliage and take in a football game at Appalachain State. The Raleigh Station is a bit over a year old and is very nice and spacious. The Piedmont/Carolinian is frequent enough that the wait in Raleigh may not be very long and if the Silver Star arrives late ot Raleigh another Piedmont will happen in a few hours, and there are some good NC BBQ near the Raleigh Station. My home station of Greensboro is beautiful in my opinion. Restored back to its 1920 era glory about 15 years ago. There is a small convenience store in the Greensboro station to grab a snack or even a bit more substantial food and a food truck tends to be near the city transit area in the same complex. You could also take the Piedmont to High Point and then an Amtrak Thruway bus to Winston-Salem and that would make a car ride from Winston-Salem to Boone a bit shorter. Heading south to Charlotte could also work if you are just trying to take in the miles on rail. Greensboro is staffed 24/7 given the times when all the trains arrive. High Point is not staffed except with volunteers from what I know about High Point.

The Piedmont is a day-time train running between Charlotte and Raleigh so you can see the country-side. The Silver Star arrives in Raleigh around 8:30 am so getting a rental car should not be a problem anywhere between Raleigh to Charlotte as you will be arriving in any city during business hours.

I will be taking the Star to Raleigh in a few weeks. There is an Enterprise Car Rental within walking distance of the station ... but, they are perfectly willing to pick you up with the rental. They told me to just call when we are about 30 minutes out.

Many Appalachian Trail hikers, especially those about to begin a 6-month trek to Katahdin in Maine, take the Crescent to Gainesville GA. Most seek some kind of overnight accommodations and begin hiking the next day.

Here and nearby are plenty of lodging options ranging from bare bones hostels to high end chalets. Many offer pickup and delivery services with advance notice.

My home station of Greensboro is beautiful in my opinion. Restored back to its 1920 era glory about 15 years ago. There is a small convenience store in the Greensboro station to grab a snack or even a bit more substantial food and a food truck tends to be near the city transit area in the same complex.
As someone who has caught the Carolinian to the northeast many times including from Charlotte, Salisbury and Cary by driving from western NC, I tried Greensboro on two trips this year and I think it's a really nice station. Had no trouble finding a free parking spot for our multi-day trips. Used the baggage service both times and was pleased. No problems dropping off a bag the afternoon before (as we stayed overnight in the area).

Thanks, I'm trying to avoid driving one way or another. Short trip from the train would be fine. Good idea, for sure, though!

The closest you can get to mountains by train in the southeast are various points in VA if you're willing to travel a bit further. The Crescent and the western VA NERs both pass through some pretty nice scenery.

As far as CLT goes, I live here and can make it to "proper" mountains in a little under two hours. The are some semi-mountainous foothill regions that are closer but still have a lot to offer(i.e. the area around South Mountains State Park).

The closest you can get to mountains by train in the southeast are various points in VA if you're willing to travel a bit further. The Crescent and the western VA NERs both pass through some pretty nice scenery.

As far as CLT goes, I live here and can make it to "proper" mountains in a little under two hours. The are some semi-mountainous foothill regions that are closer but still have a lot to offer(i.e. the area around South Mountains State Park).

I guess it all depends on your idea of "mountains". My Dad was from southern Colorado and he referred to any of the Smoky Mountains as "hills" - he said Colorado had "real mountains".

With that in mind, for a person from Jacksonville, Fl - it may not take the most majestic of mountains to still qualify as "mountains" ... just a thought

I guess it all depends on your idea of "mountains". My Dad was from southern Colorado and he referred to any of the Smoky Mountains as "hills" - he said Colorado had "real mountains".

With that in mind, for a person from Jacksonville, Fl - it may not take the most majestic of mountains to still qualify as "mountains" ... just a thought

The Appalachian Mountains are among the oldest on our planet, which oughta count for something if you're defining "mountain." Rocky Mountains are youngsters by comparison.

I attended Appaachian State and am a proud Mountaineer. :)

The Appalachians are smalller but much older, than those young Rockies. In fact, I was reading that given the age of the Appalachian Mountains there should be no mountains at all due to erosion. Geologists are not really sure why the mountains are still there beyond some sort of uplift that is hard to explain.

One other option is to get off in Greensboro and then drive to the nearby Hanging Rock State Park. Shorter drive and shorter range of mountains. These mountains are even older than the Appalachians. There is some nice trails to walk, and a few waterfalls. The views into the Piedmont are impressive. There is both cabin and tent/RV camping available.

Danbury is a town of 400 so unlike a Boone, or Asheville there is not much there except the state park. That can be great or not depending on what you are looking for.

Back