An upcoming Amtrak joy ride

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Palmetto

Engineer
Next week, I'm burning a lot of AGR points. Sleeper from Houston-LA. After getting into LA, a same day R/T LA-San Diego, then that same night, sleeper back to Ft. Worth. I have a question:

Since I'm arriving in the morning and departing the same evening on the Sunset Limited, will I be able to leave my luggage all day in the Metropolitan Lounge in LA? Any help on this would be great!

I don’t know about the luggage aspect of your question, however, good luck on making all the connections in the time frame that you specified!!! Hope it works out...let us know?

Since I'm arriving in the morning and departing the same evening on the Sunset Limited, will I be able to leave my luggage all day in the Metropolitan Lounge in LA? Any help on this would be great!

Yes.

There are no real luggage storage shelves in the lounge, but the attendant will either keep luggage lined up within sight of their desk, or will stash it in the conference room.

When I was there in December after arriving in a sleeper on the Southwest Chief, the attendant suggested that I store my luggage in the conference room while I waited (and walked around) for a few hours until I took the Metro to Long Beach.

I did a similar arrive LAX on #3, out on #2 with a side trip to San Diego to spend a couple hours riding the light rail line 3 years ago. As my luggage consists of an airline size rolling carry on and a gym bag I put on top of it, I had no problem taking it along with me SAN and back. A bit inconvenient for the light rail trains, but still manageable. As for leaving your bags in the Metropolitan Lounge, it shouldn't present any problems. I'm toying with doing the same next year and do a day joyriding the LA light rail system before heading out on #2/422 to CHI and then home.

One word of caution, though. I waited until I arrived at LAX to buy my ticket to SAN and back to avoid problems with a pre-booked ticket and late arrival on #3. Also, plan at least a 2 hr early arrival back at LAX just to be on the safe side.

Back