Siemens Caltrans/IDOT Venture design, engineering, testing and delivery (2012-2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The latest information on the CALIDOT order from the June 18, 2019 305 Committee Executive Board meeting, which can be found at the following-

http://www.highspeed-rail.org/Documents/305 Exec Brd minutes - 6-18-19 DRAFT.doc

wnSiy1F.png

Also of interest, the latest regarding Amtrak's acquisitions-

TMu48xb.png

And, finally, progress on Via's new Siemens trainsets-

yF9MqoS.png

I wonder why Charlie King is able to share information regarding the P42 replacement but not about the Amfleet I replacement. Is it just that they are in different stages and the P42 replacement order was released or is it something else?

I also understand that the Amfleet procurement attracted 5-6 different contractors. I’m curious to see the designs.

I wonder why Charlie King is able to share information regarding the P42 replacement but not about the Amfleet I replacement. Is it just that they are in different stages and the P42 replacement order was released or is it something else?

I also understand that the Amfleet procurement attracted 5-6 different contractors. I’m curious to see the designs.
The P-42 replacement has already been contracted. The amfleet replacement is still in the (probably confidential) RFP stage, hence the difference is what he can reveal.

The P-42 replacement has already been contracted. The amfleet replacement is still in the (probably confidential) RFP stage, hence the difference is what he can reveal.

Right but I also noticed it said “privy”, meaning he isn’t being kept in the loop on Amtrak’s end on the AM-I replacement.

Right but I also noticed it said “privy”, meaning he isn’t being kept in the loop on Amtrak’s end on the AM-I replacement.

If it is in the confidential RFP stage it is not surprising that he is not in the loop, and hence not “privy”, as rep to/of the consortium. Been in such situations often myself as a rep of a Fortune 50 on standards consortia.

A fairly small update from the minutes of the June 27, 2019 PRIIA 305 Technical Subcommittee meeting, which can be found at the following -

http://www.highspeed-rail.org/Documents/305 tech sc minutes 6-27-19 draft.doc

RnKCAzc.png

Perhaps this bit of news has already been posted on the Amfleet I replacement thread, but I'll leave it here just the same -

MNvhS4N.png

That is all.

The November 2019 extension tells me -
1. This is not a slam dunk for Siemens.
2. DMU/EMUs are still in play (Stadler).
3. This railcar will most likely be the basis for the LD equipment replacement if it comes up.
4. Amtrak not liking the prices its seeing. More time to get the unit price down. The present CEO was known as a hard bargainer when he ran Delta.

DMU/EMU by itself does not mean Stadler since all of Alstom, Bombardier, Stadler, Hitachi, etc. have quite viable versions of them easily available off the shelf. Very nice double decker ones too, that will fit into NY Penn Station. Then there also are the Japanese suppliers of third rail EMUs to LIRR that would have very little trouble offering a catenary one too. Very minimal development work on that, compared to even Stadler.

DMU/EMU by itself does not mean Stadler since all of Alstom, Bombardier, Stadler, Hitachi, etc. have quite viable versions of them easily available off the shelf. Very nice double decker ones too, that will fit into NY Penn Station. Then there also are the Japanese suppliers of third rail EMUs to LIRR that would have very little trouble offering a catenary one too. Very minimal development work on that, compared to even Stadler.
The major disadvantage Japanese manufacturers have now is the new fra specs essentially encourage getting European equipment. European equipment can now basically be bought off the shelf. Japanese equipment still needs costly customization for mixed running.

The major disadvantage Japanese manufacturers have now is the new fra specs essentially encourage getting European equipment. European equipment can now basically be bought off the shelf. Japanese equipment still needs costly customization for mixed running.
That is true for Japanese vendors manufacturing only in Japan. But outfits like Kawasaki and Hitachi have extensive facilities outside Japan supplying to the US and European markets already, and have UIC and FRA compliance experience and Hitachi for example has made extensive deliveries of UIC compliant equipment in Europe. So in that sense they are no different from any European manufacturer.

That is true for Japanese vendors manufacturing only in Japan. But outfits like Kawasaki and Hitachi have extensive facilities outside Japan supplying to the US and European markets already, and have UIC and FRA compliance experience and Hitachi for example has made extensive deliveries of UIC compliant equipment in Europe. So in that sense they are no different from any European manufacturer.
I was wondering about something like the 801 series if it could be brought over to the USA easily.

I was wondering about something like the 801 series if it could be brought over to the USA easily.
The core technology would work fine, though the specific frame of British Class 8xx is limited to British Loading Gauge, which probably will be inadequate in the US context. But Hitachi and Bombardier have a jointly developed product for deployment in Europe outside the UK, which is UIC loading gauge and should be perfectly acceptable off the shelf in the US under the new FRA standards.

The core technology would work fine, though the specific frame of British Class 8xx is limited to British Loading Gauge, which probably will be inadequate in the US context. But Hitachi and Bombardier have a jointly developed product for deployment in Europe outside the UK, which is UIC loading gauge and should be perfectly acceptable off the shelf in the US under the new FRA standards.

Are you referring to the US2 train?

http://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...mbardier-and-Hitachi-bid-to-build-trains.html

I wanted to ask are these new coaches going to used on the NEC or not because of height restrictions? I just think these coaches absolutely could hold a place on the NEC rush hour workhorses.

I wanted to ask are these new coaches going to used on the NEC or not because of height restrictions? I just think these coaches absolutely could hold a place on the NEC rush hour workhorses.
The Coaches currently on order are for use in California and Midwest. They are not slated for use on the NEC.

However, there is a separate ongoing RFP process that will determine what will be used for replacement of Amfleet Is. These are certainly one of the possibilities, but not the only one.

Last edited:
They’re being purchased by the states of Illinois and California, so no, they’re not for the Northeast.

I am way behind on this thread, but what is the point of standing tables in the cafe? I know this is common worldwide (including the Acela, I believe), but it just seems kind of pointless? I guess they save money on booths or seats?

I am way behind on this thread, but what is the point of standing tables in the cafe? I know this is common worldwide (including the Acela, I believe), but it just seems kind of pointless? I guess they save money on booths or seats?

I think it’s to help open up the space a little bit. Feels more like a bar than a cafe.

The last time I rode BC on the Wolverine and Blue Water, I didn’t notice anyone using the tables anyway, other than the Conductors.

Off the top of my head:
  • Standing tables are more socially ok to share. so if you're a single passenger sitting at a table most people are not going to ask if they can join you & will just wander back to their seats if all the tables are full.
  • They're easier to get in & out of.

peter

One other important detail in the report is that in the last month, construction of four additional carshells has begun.

The July 31st Technical Subcommittee meeting minutes are now posted online. Construction of two more carshells has begun (27 in total) and the first Alstom HSR trainset is scheduled to go to Pueblo for testing in January 2020.

Back