Superliner Roomette Numbering?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drdumont

TRAINS, AMTRAK and TESLAS! I'm colorful, not crazy
AU Supporting Member
The Great (and may I add) sovereign State of Texas
Booked on the Eagle. Where is Roomette #25??
Last I saw, the numbers only go to 14 or so. Am I to balance on a coupler? Maybe the "Vestibule Special"?

Seriously, have they changed the numbering scheme or are there different schemes according to car age or model?
AGR just confirmed I am on 25, and it is upstairs...

Thanks!

A long time ago (well, maybe 5-10 years or so; don't recall exactly when, if I was still at Amtrak or not) I remember someone mentioning a plan to convert the never-used conductor's office at the end of the hall into another room for sale. I wonder if this is something that actually wound up happening and now they're selling it?

It's the service number of the bustistuion that you will be riding in due to the service being cancelled due to flooding/service delays/landslip/equipment failures *delete as appropriate

Seaboard92 - thanks for the reply. As I said, I have ridden in one, but it has been years. It was pretty squalid. Walls and floors still in original scheme and equipment, very worn (ISTR mostly yellow & brown?), smelled of sweat & dirty crappers. So I guess we will see. Pix and trip report to come of course. And part of my Amtrak carryon is always a can of Lysol. I'm really not that squeamish, but then I'm not dons of the smell of old pee.

Well, if it is bustitution, Heigh Ho trip insurance! I am not paying that kind of money to ride a bus. At the moment, the rivers are in their banks and the latest derailment has been cleaned up.Your comment is not without merit, however.
Lighting a candle at the moment.
It was tongue in cheek comment, clearly didn't come across that way

Printman2000 - Velly Interesting! The layout I remember had a swinging door (western honky tonk style) with a "Crew Only sign) at about room 21, stairs off limits - (you had to enter from the next car). I note the layout you show has no shower. Is that other room a 4 chair lounge?
Those 4 comfy chairs were removed many years ago.

Printman2000 - Velly Interesting! The layout I remember had a swinging door (western honky tonk style) with a "Crew Only sign) at about room 21, stairs off limits - (you had to enter from the next car). I note the layout you show has no shower. Is that other room a 4 chair lounge?

There are at least two different configurations of the transition sleeper (well, two initially built configurations; intervening years with mods and wreck rebuilds have introduced the odd one-off/hybrid configuration here and there). One was designed for “small crew” trains, with the intent theoretically always having been for half of the upper level to be revenue. The other was designed for routes with larger crews, where the whole car was to be non-revenue.

Part of the difference is the location of the restrooms and showers, and I *think* there may be some difference in the downstairs layout as well, but it has been a while since I was last in one.

So, it’s a bit misleading to have a single diagram for the transition sleeper and assume that they will all be like that.

A few posts up they indicated it was room 23....Although there is only a single diagram, the page it originates on makes it clear that there are least 2 other versions of the car, but they are similar. I've been on 2 different versions, but nothing that mattered in a material fashion from a passenger perspective.

It was tongue in cheek comment, clearly didn't come across that way
Scouse Andy - I took it as an ascerbic comment. There is a grain of wisdom in your comment, however. I put off this trip, as I had planned it about the time the Mississippi river began to rise.
I do check weather and other conditions along the way before I pay for the ticket. And I always get the travel insurance. If I see bustitution in my future, my chest pains reappear.

Seaboard92 - thanks for the reply. As I said, I have ridden in one, but it has been years. It was pretty squalid. Walls and floors still in original scheme and equipment, very worn (ISTR mostly yellow & brown?), smelled of sweat & dirty crappers. So I guess we will see. Pix and trip report to come of course. And part of my Amtrak carryon is always a can of Lysol. I'm really not that squeamish, but then I'm not dons of the smell of old pee.
Yikes...the way you describe it, it sounds to me more like the original "trans-dorms", which were converted from ex Santa Fe Hi Level transitions coaches into 40 seat coach dorms to run with the new Superliner trains. Those cars had 40 chairs used for 'over-flow' coach seating, then a swinging door, and about a dozen crew rooms plus a larger one for the Steward (now LSA). At the far end was the transition stairway down to baggage car level. At the lower level were the large mens and womens lounges, carryon bag room, and the crew only shower room...

Yikes...the way you describe it, it sounds to me more like the original "trans-dorms", which were converted from ex Santa Fe Hi Level transitions coaches into 40 seat coach dorms to run with the new Superliner trains. Those cars had 40 chairs used for 'over-flow' coach seating, then a swinging door, and about a dozen crew rooms plus a larger one for the Steward (now LSA). At the far end was the transition stairway down to baggage car level. At the lower level were the large mens and womens lounges, carryon bag room, and the crew only shower room...

One of these still exists actually in PV Service. It’s non certified however I believe. Named Mesa Verde

I guess I will find out tomorrow afternoon.
Well, it is indeed a Transition car. The sleepers go up to 24 starting at the high end. All the roomettes have a hasp for a padlock. After 24, at the top of the stairs is the head/shower (but no towels!), coffee/juices, etc. Then to the end of the car are all crew accommodations, starting with #1. At the end of the car is the stairway to the lower level vestibule, and at the top of the stairs is a larger accommodation, appears to have been the Senior crewmember's abode.
Downstairs is the H room, heads and shower, and the other end is now designated "crew lounge", a big room with two booths, and a big area mostly used for storing laundry bags. The conductors and trainmen hang out there, when they are not in the cafe end of the diner.
--> SEABOARD 92 It was actually as you said. very little traffic, blue, brown and grey hallway scheme, quite an improvement over the last one I rode years ago. The sleeper behind us ran out of coffee and OJ, but we didn't.

Very surprised there were no towels. Did the downstairs shower have them? Were you taken care of by one of coach attendant, or the adjacent car SCA? I've always had good trips in the trans dorm, but that does't mean anything.

Very surprised there were no towels. Did the downstairs shower have them? Were you taken care of by one of coach attendant, or the adjacent car SCA? I've always had good trips in the trans dorm, but that does't mean anything.
Joseph is the attendant. (One of the many Good SCAs. He's always handy, and keeps me supplied with ice for my medicine. (Old No. 7 corn squeezins). I think he does the next car and this one. Didn't think to ask him about towels, I will when I see him. I presumed that would be the case. I prefer the downstairs shower, as it has the amenities and a dressing area. Next time I get up I will check to see if it is labeled "Crew Only" or not. I read that here somewhere.
And now, a little more medicine. I'm reminded of St. Timothy's admonition...

And now we are headed South on the Eagle. The new departure lounge is very very nice. HUGE!
In a proper bedroom, spotless.
Alas, it is the Dining Car Crew From Hell. I guess I should post in the trip report. Which I shall do when the HEP comes back on, here in St. Louis.

And now we are headed South on the Eagle. The new departure lounge is very very nice. HUGE!
In a proper bedroom, spotless.
Alas, it is the Dining Car Crew From Hell. I guess I should post in the trip report. Which I shall do when the HEP comes back on, here in St. Louis.
Too bad you got one of the sorry Eagle Diner Crews, most are great as are the other OBS and the T&E Crews too!

Back