Shortest/Cheapest rides in Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TylerP42

Conductor
Hello all, after taking San Diego Santa Fe Depot to San Diego Old Town Transit Center, which was a 6 minute ride costing $3, I'd like to try to compile a list of the shortest/cheapest rides in the system.

If you have one, please post below. Also what was the shortest and cheapest (before discounts) ride you've taken?

My shortest and cheapest ride was Berkley to Emeryville during the Bay Area Gathering after the Group Dinner.

Emeryville to Oakland Jack London was another "Quickie".

A few years ago I used to do AGR1.0 Point Runs from Austin to Taylor( 20 Miles) for 200 Points for $9 Round Trip.

Portland,Oregon to Vancouver,Washington was another great Quickie Points run.

Hello all, after taking San Diego Santa Fe Depot to San Diego Old Town Transit Center, which was a 6 minute ride costing $3, I'd like to try to compile a list of the shortest/cheapest rides in the system.

If you have one, please post below. Also what was the shortest and cheapest (before discounts) ride you've taken?
Ha, ha...saw your post on FB! OLT to SAN.
Haven't researched but, there's gotta be others on the Surfliner...CWT>SIM or VNC; SBA>GTA, etc.
Should be an interesting topic. Didn't we used to get a 100 point minimum for such trips?

Orlando to Winter Park is 5 miles. In the days of AGR 1, I did the trip many times. I do not any more - especially since now I can travel on SunRail.

Orlando to Winter Park is 5 miles. In the days of AGR 1, I did the trip many times. I do not any more - especially since now I can travel on SunRail.

One year I did 22 one ways between PHL and PAO under AGR 1.0, mostly during double and triple points periods.

Actually, yes! She came around before we left Santa Fe Depot.
Nice!!

Before Amtrak for a number of years the Portland - Vancouver ten-mile ride cost 35 cents, same as the bus. I made the trip several times - there's a brief clip of it in a YouTube video from a dome on SP&S Train 2.

The trip was often made by school or scout groups studying rail transport. Amtrak jacked up the fare, but I did make the short trip once, riding along with Paul Reistrup and Edward Ullman in an ex-CB&Q dome.

The shortest trip I’ve done so far is Washington to Alexandria. I believe it cost me $14. I was going to the RPA meeting in Alexandria. I was sleeping on Track 30 on the Braddock Inn and I had to walk by the consist of 67 already. A bit more expensive than metro but far more convenient.

How about the shortest/most expensive ride that anyone has taken? Looking at the Amtrak website, I see that I can book a Viewliner Bedroom tomorrow for $266 for the 17-minute ride from ORL to WPK on 98. Or I can get a first class seat on Acela 2100 for $69 (BWI to BAL, 11 minutes).

How about the shortest/most expensive ride that anyone has taken? Looking at the Amtrak website, I see that I can book a Viewliner Bedroom tomorrow for $266 for the 17-minute ride from ORL to WPK on 98. Or I can get a first class seat on Acela 2100 for $69 (BWI to BAL, 11 minutes).
Wow!That's Some-a-Pricey Bedroom!:eek:

Greensboro to High Point, NC (Guilford County) does not leave the county and lasts 15 minutes and costs $5.50 or $6 for the cheapest ticket about a month out on the Piedmont or Carolinian. The price would go up to $231 if you decided to book a roomette which would be on the Crescent in the middle of the night.

Raleigh to Cary stays in Wake County in North Carolina takes 10 minutes and also costs $5.50 for the cheapest ticket I could find looking about a month out. The Siliver Star takes a bit longer and the cost of a bedroom would drive this cost up a bit.

Back