What am I missing, Eastbound on the CZ from Glenwood Springs?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spinnaker

Lead Service Attendant
Another trip I am thinking about is flying into Denver. Riding my bicycle to Glenwood Springs with maybe a side trip to Aspen. There are a number of bike trails in that area believe it or not.

So what am I missing, Eastbound on the CZ starting from Glenwood Springs? I know the Cascades. And part of Utah which is kind of cool. But am I missing much of the Rockies? I made the trip once before from Sacramento but trying to remember where in Colorado, it starts getting good.

I am hoping I have time because what I might do, is to take the CZ west to Sacramento. Stay the night then come back east again. That way I don't miss anything. ;)

Another trip I am thinking about is flying into Denver. Riding my bicycle to Glenwood Springs with maybe a side trip to Aspen. There are a number of bike trails in that area believe it or not.

So what am I missing, Eastbound on the CZ starting from Glenwood Springs? I know the Cascades. And part of Utah which is kind of cool. But am I missing much of the Rockies? I made the trip once before from Sacramento but trying to remember where in Colorado, it starts getting good.

I am hoping I have time because what I might do, is to take the CZ west to Sacramento. Stay the night then come back east again. That way I don't miss anything. ;)

Riding the CZ from Glenwood Springs to Denver absolutely gives you the "best of the Rockies". You will miss Ruby Canyon (west of Grand Jct) and Debeque Canyon (east of Grand Jct) but get all of the other good ones in Colorado.

To get those other two, you would need to board the eastbound CZ at 8 AM in Green River, UT.

Starting just after noon in Glenwood Springs is a nice compromise.

On one memorable trip EB, the conductor told us at Glenwood that boaters, as the track ran along the Colorado River east of town, were all excited to see the Zephyr approach. He told us the boaters would even give us a “special salute” as the train ran alongside the water. That day, several of them paddled to our side to “salute “ us. In the Eastern US, they call it “mooning”.. which is why it only happens in warmer weather.

Gotta admire bikers. We’re it me, I’d take the CZ westbound on it’s very scenic climb up the front range of the Rockies, thru the canyons, to Glenwood Springs. Then bike downhill to Denver! And if if you’re into pain but glorious scenery check out biking Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mtn, NP.

Gotta admire bikers. We’re it me, I’d take the CZ westbound on it’s very scenic climb up the front range of the Rockies, thru the canyons, to Glenwood Springs. Then bike downhill to Denver! And if if you’re into pain but glorious scenery check out biking Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mtn, NP.

If I do this , I probably will tune it around and go the other way. But I might switch the trip to Icefields Parkway out of Jasper. Maybe take the VIA train to get thee.

Glenwood Springs is approximately the same elevation as Denver. So whether you are biking eastward or westward, you are going to have to climb up at least 6,000 feet to cross the Continental Divide. And if you following the I-70 Route, you get a bonus steep climb (in either direction) over Vail Pass.

Glenwood Springs is approximately the same elevation as Denver. So whether you are biking eastward or westward, you are going to have to climb up at least 6,000 feet to cross the Continental Divide. And if you following the I-70 Route, you get a bonus steep climb (in either direction) over Vail Pass.

I once biked from Winter Park to Glenwood Springs via Kremmling, Dillon, and Vail Pass. So I know what you are talking about.

But what I want to know is the OP's route from Denver to Vail Pass. I think that would be much more difficult than Vail Pass going east or west.

I once biked from Winter Park to Glenwood Springs via Kremmling, Dillon, and Vail Pass. So I know what you are talking about.

But what I want to know is the OP's route from Denver to Vail Pass. I think that would be much more difficult than Vail Pass going east or west.

Steepest part of a bike journey would be the west side of Vail Pass (for eastbound riders). . Lesser grades for an eastward journey crossing the Divide over Tennessee Pass, through Leadville, then follow the out-of-service D&RGW ROW to Salida and then US50 to the Front Range.

On one memorable trip EB, the conductor told us at Glenwood that boaters, as the track ran along the Colorado River east of town, were all excited to see the Zephyr approach. He told us the boaters would even give us a “special salute” as the train ran alongside the water. That day, several of them paddled to our side to “salute “ us. In the Eastern US, they call it “mooning”.. which is why it only happens in warmer weather.
Always expect "salutes" during warmer temps! Even dad gets into it with the wife and kids on the boat! upload_2019-8-10_15-45-36.png

Our sleeping car attendant said that they referred to the Colorado as "moon river". :)

Better is when there are fishermen on the Colorado River. Engineers toots the horn to get the fishermen to hold up and display their catch. Cook then reaches out with his grappling hook. Voila -- fresh trout available for dinner that night in the diner!

Back