Washout between Provo and Helper. Based on info from train orders

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked at the Amtrak status maps which appears to confirm report. 5 is sitting in Helper. 6 in Salt Lake City. 5 has sat at Helper all night. I’m departing on 5 today for a round trip to EMY. Should be interesting.

So, it was stuck in Helper, UT starting at 12:33am and left at 10:40am this morning. On those long stops, do they let people wander off the train into town, etc? Of course, with that timing, there would be few options, but... I did notice there are a few options to resupply food close by. See Map

We had reservations on the eastbound Zephyr for tomorrow (Saturday). Got a robocall from Amtrak saying that there was a service disruption but "alternate transportation arrangements had been made" and I didn't have to do anything. Knowing what "alternate transportation arrangements" usually means here, I immediately called Amtrak. They said they would put us on the 728 to Sacramento and then a bus to Reno, where it would meet the train, which is very late. She couldn't promise that we would make our connection to the LSL in Chicago either. We cancelled our reservation and booked a flight :(

Sounds like #5 will be turned at Reno to become #6, with passengers bussed between Reno and Sacramento. Passengers west of Sacramento will be accomodated on Capitol Corridor trains.

Back