Ethan Allen Express

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GusTrain

Train Attendant
We plan to take the train from the west mid-October to New England, then rent a car & drive around to see the fall colors. Would taking the Lake Shore Limited, then changing to the Ethan Allen Express to the end of its line at Rutland, VT and renting the car there be a good idea? Thank you for any advice.

We plan to take the train from the west mid-October to New England, then rent a car & drive around to see the fall colors. Would taking the Lake Shore Limited, then changing to the Ethan Allen Express to the end of its line at Rutland, VT and renting the car there be a good idea? Thank you for any advice.

Yes, definitely rent a car. My friend and I did that a couple of years ago and drove up through the Green Mountains. You should see plenty of fall colors through the winding mountain roads. Rutland is a small, old town from which my friend's grandparents traveled from to Illinois in a covered wagon. There is a taxi there, but if you're not one of the first ones off the train, it will be gone. As in most places, there was a police car there when the train arrived and we had to ask the police officer to get a taxi for us. The next morning the rental car company picked us up at our hotel.

Yes, definitely rent a car. My friend and I did that a couple of years ago and drove up through the Green Mountains. You should see plenty of fall colors through the winding mountain roads. Rutland is a small, old town from which my friend's grandparents traveled from to Illinois in a covered wagon. There is a taxi there, but if you're not one of the first ones off the train, it will be gone. As in most places, there was a police car there when the train arrived and we had to ask the police officer to get a taxi for us. The next morning the rental car company picked us up at our hotel.

Thank you very much!

Back