Newbie traveling LFT - LAUS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes! I'm definitely into taking pics.

I suggest you take your camera and practice taking pictures through glass, perhaps in your car (while parked). It can be a little tricky to minimize reflections, and you will want to be sure your flash is off.

Edit To Add: Flat glass if you can find it. Flat glass is worse for reflections than curved glass.

Last edited:
Those are Amtrak's abbreviations. LFT and LAUS are Amtrak stations. SSL is Sunset Limited. This is what I read in everyone else's posts. I didn't just make them up lol.
Amtrak's abbreviation for Los Angeles Union Station is LAX. Here on the forum we use LAUS in order to differentiate it from the airport. SSL = Sightseer Lounge while SL = Sunset Limited.

I've read in the other thread about the Texas Eagle transfer. I was nervous about, what if we somehow end up on the wrong car and get sent to Chicago?! It seemed a little confusing that you could choose Sunset all the way or Sunset then switch to Texas Eagle. But since I ordered the tickets on Sunset Limited all the way we should be in the right place.
I don't think it's possible to end up in Chicago by accident. If you bought a split fare it would show the transfer point, staff would be making announcements and checking tickets. Amtrak does not want to deal with missconnections or carryovers so it's in their interest to ensure nobody ends up on the wrong train or at the wrong station by accident. This is more of an issue with large stations along busy commuter corridors far away from the likes of San Antonio.

Are you only able to take pics at the stops? Seems like everything will fly by so fast while rolling? Does video work ok? I def want to get at least one pic of each state we pass through.
The problem isn't speed so much as the angle of the windows. Since there is little or no forward visibility, if you're not expecting to see something at that particular moment by the time you recognize an opportunity it might have already passed you by. The other issue is the limo tint that makes it almost impossible to see inside but also means photos of anything outside will have an artificial hue and may be dark/grainy/blurry in anything other than bright sunlight.

Here's an option regarding showers: bring baby wipes. They're cheap, and lightweight and you can easily do a spongebath with them. I learned about them when I broke my leg and couldn't shower for a couple of weeks. Longest weeks of my life...

We have these. They are basically disposables washcloths with soap. The boys have these and I have a girl version. DUDE Shower Body Wipes 10 Count Wet Wipes Individually Wrapped for Travel Unscented Naturally Soothing Aloe and Hypoallergenic, Portable Travel-Sized Individual Cleansing Cloths for Men https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4KHX26/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_39qsDbZEW1Q97
Here's an option regarding showers: bring baby wipes. They're cheap, and lightweight and you can easily do a spongebath with them. I learned about them when I broke my leg and couldn't shower for a couple of weeks. Longest weeks of my life...

We have these. They are basically disposables washcloths with soap. The boys have these and I have a girl version. DUDE Shower Body Wipes 10 Count Wet Wipes Individually Wrapped for Travel Unscented Naturally Soothing Aloe and Hypoallergenic, Portable Travel-Sized Individual Cleansing Cloths for Men https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4KHX26/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_39qsDbZEW1Q97
There are "boy" and "girl" versions? Why, what's the difference? And what's the difference between these and the various brands of baby wipes?

I got a message this morning
"We wanted to let you know that train #1, the Sunset Limited, from Lafayette, Louisiana on Wednesday, August 7th, has been affected due to a service disruption. Don't worry, we've already set up alternate transportation for some or all of your route, and there's nothing you need to do."

I was really hoping this didn't mean they were trying to put us on a bus. Experiencing the train is more important than getting to the destination. So I called. And grrr yes, they are saying we will be bussed to Houston, then switch to train. She said they could fully refund if that didn't work. I don't want to cancel our trip, I guess we can do the first 7 hours by bus but....I'm def disappointed. Even if they did refund our trip there, would they refund the trip back, since it's a separate reservation (not round trip)? I know there's a small chance the train issue could be resolved by tomorrow, and I have my fingers crossed.

Will this be a greyhound bus? The greyhound/Amtrak station is all together here. And will we be able to bring out carry on of food on the bus rather than checking it and having everything melt? I've only done bus twice, years ago, but I don't recall them having overhead storage.

These are way bigger and thicker than baby wipes. No tacky residue like some baby wipes. And they have soap in them, not just wet wipes. You feel much cleaner. A 6 ft man can use one of these, as opposed to 5 or 6 baby wipes.

The only difference is the scent.
There are "boy" and "girl" versions? Why, what's the difference? And what's the difference between these and the various brands of baby wipes?

Even if they did refund our trip there, would they refund the trip back, since it's a separate reservation (not round trip)?
I believe if you phone and explain that you have a return trip, they will refund the return trip also. I routinely book my trips on 2 separate reservations. A couple of times my northbound was canceled by Amtrak because of flooding or a hurricane. I requested refunds on my return trips, on a separate reservations, since it would be impossible for me to do the return tripd since initial trips were canceled.

It looks like the #2 headed your way is having some major issues. It is over 15hrs late and still not at San Antonio. My guess is they will "turn" it there and bus everyone to there.

The #2? They said the #1 has a service disruption. And that we gave to bus from here to Houston, and then #2 will have no prob for our return home. If #1 and #2 both are not running I don't want to go.
It looks like the #2 headed your way is having some major issues. It is over 15hrs late and still not at San Antonio. My guess is they will "turn" it there and bus everyone to there.

The cars from today's #2 become tomorrow's #1 after the train is turned. Usually that happens overnight in New Orleans. But if the train can't make New Orleans, they will turn it at the closest station with adequate facilities...which, for the Sunset Limited, means San Antonio or Houston.

Amtrak has a "protect" car strategically placed here and there in case one car goes bad and has to be sidelined ("bad ordered"), but they don't have anywhere near enough equipment to put together an entire spare train set if a train is running late.

I figured this out, on another thread. That makes sense.

Wouldnt a bus ticket be less than train? Do they ever credit the difference in cars like this?

I figured this out, on another thread. That makes sense.

Wouldnt a bus ticket be less than train? Do they ever credit the difference in cars like this?

Actually, if you call Customer Relations at the 1-800-USA-RAIL number (you have to speak to an agent and ask for them specifically) after your trip and complain about how the bus ride was inconvenient and much less comfortable than the train, chances are good that they will give you a bit of a credit towards a future trip. If you were downgraded from sleeper accommodations you certainly would receive a credit for the inconvenience; not as much in coach but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Sometimes the bus is Greyhound, sometimes charter bus. It all depends what is available on short notice when it is due to a "service disruption". You may want to stop by the train station early or the day before and ask "in person" how much carry on stuff (with your food) will be permitted.

You now having less train time with your family, which I believe was a main objective of your trip. I had a service disruption (a bus) and a few bus transfers over the years. Your kids, given their age, might actually enjoy the bus. It is part of the adventure. I hope all goes well if you decide to keep your current ticket.

Yesss you came prepared! Playing games in the lounge is the best. When I travel solo I’ll still play solitaire sometimes in between scenery and conversations.

Back