Hostage Situation on #14

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so this guy was reported to want to end his own life, and then takes a hostage?

Can’t do it yourself, so you get the cops to do it?

Just another delay report nobody at HQ is going to believe.

Maybe it just hasn't reached other news outlets

#5 to Emeryville is 8+ hours late
#6 to Chicago is 11+ hours late
#91 to Miami is 5 hours late

I'm not saying that there was not a situation on #14 ... just that I did not find any other places with the story ... and since there are other trains also very late - surely they all did not have hostage situations

I've experiences medical removals from trains. The delay is usually less than 30 minutes. The focus is on getting the person to the most effective medical care possible.

I’m curious about this situation plays out.

A hostage situation with a suicidal passenger is wildly different from the typical “medical removal”.

Thanks for the twitter link ... interesting how they worded that notice

I have been on a train where they had to stop for medical. It was much more of an inconvenience for the people on the road since the train had to park across the road to allow the EMT access to the door.

Glad I have not had to deal with a "Law Enforcement Issue" on a train ... yet

Thanks for the twitter link ... interesting how they worded that notice

I have been on a train where they had to stop for medical. It was much more of an inconvenience for the people on the road since the train had to park across the road to allow the EMT access to the door.

Glad I have not had to deal with a "Law Enforcement Issue" on a train ... yet

I would say it’s unfortunately only a matter of time. A few years ago, a Conductor was shot by a passenger in Naperville. Another was stabbed by a passenger near Niles, MI.

Soon incidents like these will begin to draw TSA to train stations and the appeal and ease of rail travel will disappear.

A hostage situation with a suicidal passenger is wildly different from the typical “medical removal”.

I should have read the other posts more carefully. The new story has plenty of unconfirmed information but the information is consistent with what we know could happen in a situation like this. And the Amtrak Twitter alert confirms law enforcement activity.

Maybe it just hasn't reached other news outlets

#5 to Emeryville is 8+ hours late
#6 to Chicago is 11+ hours late
#91 to Miami is 5 hours late

I'm not saying that there was not a situation on #14 ... just that I did not find any other places with the story ... and since there are other trains also very late - surely they all did not have hostage situations

Yeah, evidently from what I can piece together on those issues, #5 hit a pedestrian and #6 got caught behind the incident. Earlier I was watching the Flagstaff cam and a bunch of young idiots with horrible adult supervision caused a BNSF stack train to go into emergency, of course that wont make the news, and unfortunately this wont either.

It's amazing how many people who do things like this think they can say, "I'm sorry. I didn't realize" and think they should be let go and the matter forgotten about.

On our last trip on the SS there was some sort of "difficulty" on one of the coach cars. We did not find out what it was - but, one of the car attendants sitting in the lounge car after the situation had been taken care of had some dealings with the situation. The conductor told her that she need to make a written report of what happened. She looked at him and said, "I didn't see anything." He mentioned that she dealt with it so she needed to make a written report. She insisted that she didn't see anything and didn't know anything. Sounding a bit exasperated, he told that she still needed to file that in writing. That if she didn't see anything, put that in her written report.

There was an assistant conductor and a couple others attendants sitting at another table and they just shook their heads. The attendant that was supposed to write her report quickly finished what she was eating and left the lounge car. We heard one of the other Amtrak people at the other table say something to the effect of, "What is she thinking, doesn't she know this will be investigated?"

This was on the same train where we had someone removed from the train for medical treatment and emergency transport to the hospital.

You never know just what to expect when you ride the rails.

I once had an imaginary hostage situation on the SS at Jacksonville, that brought out the VIPER squad and delayed us 6 hours. There actually was no hostage and no situation except in the overactive imagination of a lady who chose to call 911 based on her delusions.

Both times I've taken the Coast Starlight to Portland, there was a medical emergency of some type, and we sat for an hour or so while paramedics boarded train, dealt with the situation, and took the ill passenger off train and into ambulance. On one of those trips, we were also delayed an hour or so while police boarded train and took an apparently unruly passenger into custody.

Once many years back on the Autotrain (it was the infamous back to college train) a fist fight broke out in the lounge in the late evening hours after departure from Lorton. The conductor summoned the FSA's and SCA's (some of which were big men) to help break up the fisticuffs and they jumped right in and stopped the fight. Needless to say the police were called and the culprits were ejected from the train at the next town with their cars going on to Sanford. On another trip on the CZ there was an announcement that said if anyone is caught smoking there will be no warning. You will be removed from the train. Thankfully everyone followed the rules that day. On another CZ trip they caught three stowaways in a bedroom and to my surprise they were middle aged women. After some arguing with the FSA who told them that they needed a sleeper ticket, they were apparently charged for the room and were returned to it. That's the extent of the problems that we've encountered in 15 years of Amtrak travel.

Back