which is better? Empire builder or via-rail Canadian?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sign up for Via's frequent traveler program, Preference. If you spend over $999 CAD in one year, you qualify for their elite tier and you will get a 50% off (peak fare) coupon for Sleeper Plus that you can use any time and reserve whenever you like.

Finally, bear in mind that in May the Park Car restrictions will be in effect.
I already signed up for vias preference program, so ill be able to apply the cost of this ticket towards the 999 cad yearly limit.
I wouldn't mind a cabin for 1, but more than likely ill be getting a lower berth for my trip. I may have misunderstood the park car restrictions, I thought any sleeper plus passengers could ride in the park car.

But I digress, after some thinking..I might split this up in two separate trips. In march, I might fly to Vancouver, and ride the Canadian to Toronto. I would really like to experience the Canadian this year. Then in May, I might do a CZ, CS, EB loop. For the sake of planning and simplicity, that might work out a little better

In high season, which May is, access to the Park car is reserved for Prestige class passengers for a good part of the day. From Via's website:

Access to the Prestige Park car: During peak season*, access to the Prestige Park Car will be limited to scheduled times for Sleeper Plus passengers. Sleeper Plus passengers will be able to access the Prestige Park car on the following schedule: from 4:00PM until last call 10:30PM, with the exception of evenings upon departure from Toronto and Vancouver where access will be exclusive to Prestige passengers. Scheduled access times are subject to change. *Peak Season 2018: April 29 – October 11, 2018

Also, note that when I rode it in November, in talking with passengers and staff, I heard that the sometimes the Park was restricted entirely to Prestige all the time when the Prestige load was high during the summer.

I've ridden the Canadian in the high season and the off season and I much prefer the off season version of the train, it isn't a 26 car monster, it is a lot lower key and relaxed. So I think your March plan is probably a good one. Also, I highly recommend going eastbound, better schedule for scenary, especially considering the delays the train is currently encountering, and since there is not a same day turn in Vancouver, a more reliable departure time. Parenthetically, when we were arriving 10 hours late into Toronto in November, I heard over the radio the service manager announcing the departure and rest plans for the crew. They were planning for a 2 am westbound departure. That did not sound like fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone, thanks for your help. I'm booked on the CZ westbound, CS north, and the EB eastbound. Pictures to follow!

Hi everyone, sorry for bumping an old thread. But I'm pretty excited, viarail has a sale on sleeper plus class, and I just booked an upper berth on the eastbound Canadian from Vancouver to Toronto. This will be my first time on the Canadian, and tips?

Congrats! You're going to love it. And upper berths are real bargains, you still get all the meals (which are amazing), and access to the first class dome car or the Park dome car, depending on the season and time of day. During the summer season, the Park car is reserved for the Prestige customers for some of the day. Be sure to be up in the Dome around 4 or 5pm when they do a free wine/beer/cider tasting with appetizers.

What time of year are you going? That could help with tips of what it will be like on the train. Summer - long train, lots of people (but not crowded) and huge party fun. Winter, much more intimate, easy to get seats in the Dome, and get to know your fellow travelers fun.

It’s funny when I went on the Canadian in July of last year I felt the more intimate party style. Everyone in our assigned activity car knew each other by first name on day 2 and got to know each other. I roamed with the musicians though.

Mazel Tov! The Canadian is on my bucket list, as soon as I bag the EB and the SFO-Chicago (can't keep the SFO and the LA train names straight). IF you look on IMDB you can find the Discovery channel (I think) called Mighty Trains which had a great show about the Canadian. If you can't find a copy, get in touch with me and I will get a copy to you.

The major rap I've read with the berths is that you spend the day seated face to face with your berth-mate, and the staff decide when you get up and go to bed since it is either two seats or two beds, and both must be switched at the same time.

No-one spends any time sitting in the Day time Seats, there's Dome Cars and the Park Car with Lounge to hangout in as well as walking the Train for exercise on the Loooong Journey with Wonderful Food and Drink to tempt you to gain weight!

The only Negative I see with the Upper Berth is No Window to see out, but there is much more room than in a Superliner Roomette and the bedding is First Rate, (best Rests I've ever have been in Sections)and the Price is good for this Great Journey compared to the Expensive Rooms!

It’s also far more likely you’ll get a section on one of the last minute sleeper plus deals. Whereas a room often times will be sold out.

For instance on the Canadian I’m riding in September.
Availability
Sections-VCVR-TRTO
Roomettes- JASP-TRTO
Doubles, and prestige are sold completely out the entire route.

I vote The Canadian. That train is a focus of pride by the Canadian government, and that pride comes thru start to finish. Incredible service, food, scenery, equipiment. Re: Park Car-- while beautiful, I found it very uncomfortable since it was the last car. Worth a look but never stayed.

Mazel Tov! The Canadian is on my bucket list, as soon as I bag the EB and the SFO-Chicago (can't keep the SFO and the LA train names straight). IF you look on IMDB you can find the Discovery channel (I think) called Mighty Trains which had a great show about the Canadian. If you can't find a copy, get in touch with me and I will get a copy to you.

Whenever you do the Empire Builder(assuming you meant that by EB), I would try to do that going east, just to ensure you see all of the section going through Glacier National Park in northwest Montana in the daylight. If it isn't summer and you're taking the Empire Builder west, there is a chance it might get dark, before you get all the way through that section of the EB route. And I assume you likely know that the train is combined and split up, in Spokane. The dining car goes to Seattle, while the observation lounge/cafe car goes to Portland btw. Latter means you'll only get boxed meals, if you're in a sleeper between Spokane and Portland either way.

BTW about the SF-Chicago train(which technically starts in Emeryville btw, just across the bay from San Francisco and that it is next door to Oakland), that train is called the California Zephyr. The train that runs between LA and Seattle, is called the Coast Starlight.

Congrats! You're going to love it. And upper berths are real bargains, you still get all the meals (which are amazing), and access to the first class dome car or the Park dome car, depending on the season and time of day. During the summer season, the Park car is reserved for the Prestige customers for some of the day. Be sure to be up in the Dome around 4 or 5pm when they do a free wine/beer/cider tasting with appetizers.

What time of year are you going? That could help with tips of what it will be like on the train. Summer - long train, lots of people (but not crowded) and huge party fun. Winter, much more intimate, easy to get seats in the Dome, and get to know your fellow travelers fun.

Sure sounds like how things used to be(i.e. wine tastings), on Amtrak western long distance trains. :( And that special dome car just for sleepers, sounds a lot like the now discontinued Pacific Parlour Car on Coast Starlight.

Back