Same Fare, regardless of day

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George K

Conductor
I was looking at a trip CHI-NOL next April, and I went to Amsnag to see the best days to travel.

Surprisingly the entire month shows the same fare!

I ended up booking (using points), and the fares were right in line with what Amsnag said.

Isn't it unusual to have that kind of consistency over a 3 week period?Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 7.06.48 AM.png

IF that happens to be the lowest fare, and nobody (or very few) has booked it yet (9 months out)... then I guess it could be accurate.

Let me add.... I just looked at 30 days in Aug/Sep and the fare you show is well above what any day is showing. So, wondering why that fare is so high. Just did Oct as well, and much less expensive.

Is there some big rate increase next year?

Last edited:
Nothing unusual to see the same fare (whatever the bucket) to be offered for periods of many weeks or months out toward the eleven month limit. You just need to do more AmSnag searches to become familiar with the long-term patterns.

And there's no ". . .it could be accurate." about it. AmSnag gets the fares you see right from the horses mouth - Amtrak. And don't try to second-guess why the fares are at one bucket or another. The bean counters at Amtrak will always be one step ahead of you.

Back