Ticket advice please

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6862

Engineer
We have tickets from NY Penn to Syracuse NY in late August, but we may want to change those tickets for ones from NY Penn to Milwaukee via the Lake Shore Limited route.

Is it best to phone an agent to change our online booking, hopefully getting a credit for our existing tickets towards the new ones, or is there an online method of changing tickets from one destination to another?

Thanks for any help

ps: Have just seen that the tickets from NYP to CHI on the LSL in Roomette has risen overnight by $242 for two people, isn't that a big jump?

ps: Have just seen that the tickets from NYP to CHI on the LSL in Roomette has risen overnight by $242 for two people, isn't that a big jump?
I assume that that is an indication that some roomette(s) have sold during the night so as the supply dwindles, the prices go up. I have seen it happen before but not quite that much.

I would call an agent to discuss changing your tickets.

Hope you have a great trip and will post a report especially about the contemporary dining if you haven't seen it before.

You need to call too "modify " your existing reservation to the longer route . That way you can ask for full credit for the first booking towards the modified reservation. Do not cancel the original reservation and rebook as that results in a cancellation penalty . If the agent insists on cancelling and rebooking you should ask for a supervisor or try later.

Prices go up and down based on demand.

Last edited:
We have tickets for a trip from Fl to NC later this year. Shortly after I bought the tickets Amtrak had a 2-for-1 sale. I called to see what could be done and the reservation clerk told me there was nothing she could do - that if she cancelled the booking and re-booked it with the 2-for-1 the cancellation fee would have cost me more than leaving it alone.

Then, she said that I could try talking to someone else and transferred me. This person changed the tickets, refunded me the old price and gave me the new 2-for-1 price.

So, if you get to the person with the authority, they can and will fix it.

Thank you, your answers may well help others too.

Good tips and advice, we are just waiting on others before we make our decision.

I have changed dates and room types many times ((and run into the "cancel then rebook" issue and having to ask for a supervisor but I've never changed a reservation that involved totally different trains (if that is what you are doing). Let us know how it goes and if someone else has done a total train change w/o penalty, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

I once booked the SM from JAX to NWK where someone was supposed to pick me up. I found out they needed to pick me up at NYP instead of NWK ... I called Amtrak and the helpful girl said if she changed the booking I would lose my "Value Price" - she said, since I was not checking any luggage, I should just ask the conductor if I could stay on to NYP (especially since the ticket price is the same). This is what I did and the conductor said it would be fine - "since the ticket price is the same" ... I stayed on till NYP and made my connection with my ride.

I have changed dates and room types many times ((and run into the "cancel then rebook" issue and having to ask for a supervisor but I've never changed a reservation that involved totally different trains (if that is what you are doing). Let us know how it goes and if someone else has done a total train change w/o penalty, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Will certainly do that if we change, hope to make the decision in a couple of days time. BTW, it would be different trains but on the same track

Yes, it is indeed a big jump - but not as big as it could be. The jump you reported is from the lowest to the next-to-highest Roomette bucket. From lowest to highest jump is US$323.

FYI, Roomette buckets on the LSL are presently US$234, $317, $393, $476 and $557.

Yes, it is indeed a big jump - but not as big as it could be. The jump you reported is from the lowest to the next-to-highest Roomette bucket. From lowest to highest jump is US$323.

FYI, Roomette buckets on the LSL are presently US$234, $317, $393, $476 and $557.

Thanks niemi

Will certainly do that if we change, hope to make the decision in a couple of days time. BTW, it would be different trains but on the same track

@me_little_me

All for nothing as with just 7 days including travel we couldn't fit in the extra travel to suit all concerned. So the original tickets from NYP to SYR and back remain, but thanks again to all on advice and opinions.

Back