Crescent - Why so bad south of Atlanta

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWA904

Service Attendant
I have questions about why people believe the Crescent does so bad south of Atlanta. The info I'm quoting is from Amtrak fact sheets posted by the Rail passengers Association. If you look at the ridership by city pairs, for 2018, of all cities along the route, Birmingham - New Orleans is No. 1 and Atlanta - New Orleans is No. 5. If you look at revenue by city pair for 2018, Birmingham - New Orleans is No. 5 and Atlanta - New Orleans is No. 8. Once again looking at revenue generated from the major cities south of Atlanta, New Orleans - New York, New Orleans - Washington and Birmingham - New York are 3 of the 10 largest revenue producers.

I worked on the train.

It doesn’t have anything to do with NOL or BHM - it’s probably because the other cities just don’t contribute very much. It’s a long way to go, 12 hours ATL-NOL, with only one city in between that puts significant butts in the seats (BHM).

Last edited:
Three reasons - NS, NS and NS!

Do you remember where between New Orleans and Atlanta, where most of the freight train delays occur around? There must be a certain part of the route(i.e. near Meridian, MS? who knows where) south of Atlanta, that is more prone to freight train delays for whatever reason.

Do you remember where between New Orleans and Atlanta, where most of the freight train delays occur around? There must be a certain part of the route(i.e. near Meridian, MS? who knows where) south of Atlanta, that is more prone to freight train delays for whatever reason.
Mainly between Tuscaloosa and Meridian. Even the crews call it the Bermuda Triangle.

Mainly between Tuscaloosa and Meridian. Even the crews call it the Bermuda Triangle.

Haha, that made me laugh hard that crews call this area the Bermuda Triangle, because of all the freight train delays by there! You'd think Norfolk Southern would want to more double track this section(Meridian-Tuscaloosa), since I see much of it per a quick google maps satellite map check, showed it was only single tracked through there. Sigh.....

When I rode the Crescent in December, the freight delays started literally less than five minutes after we departed Atlanta. We stopped for about 20 minutes, and the fun didn’t end until we arrived into NOL, at about 1:20 am, nearly 6 hours late. If I remember correctly we were less than an hour late when we arrived into Atlanta.

When I rode the Crescent in December, the freight delays started literally less than five minutes after we departed Atlanta. We stopped for about 20 minutes, and the fun didn’t end until we arrived into NOL, at about 1:20 am, nearly 6 hours late. If I remember correctly we were less than an hour late when we arrived into Atlanta.

Damn, that really does suck. Immediately after you left Atlanta, #19 hit all those delays? Ugh! You'd wish Amtrak would provide financial compensation for passengers delayed that much on #19, but who knows if that'd occur. And exactly why while it does sound good on paper to extend Crescent from New Orleans to Houston, that personally myself I wouldn't favor that idea due to all the delays Crescent has been Atlanta and New Orleans.

The NS has added several additional trains on the route from Meridian north (off the KCS). These trains are longer and heavier and the route was not designed to handle these longer trains. In fact, there is only one siding that is capable of two of these GIANT trains meeting between Meridian and Birmingham. So, 19 and 20 have had to go in behind one of the shorter trains and wait for a meet, then back out and go around. Some days, this was happening 2 or 3 times. Between Birmingham and Atlanta, there is also additional traffic. The NS has rerouted trains off the Central of Georgia through Columbus to Macon on to the East End. Additionally, the NS closed the hump in Chattanooga which has caused more congestion. South of Meridian the line is Automatic block which slows movement in and out of sidings. Add to this the introduction of PTC and there has been a real mess.

Oh, also, the move of the dispatchers from Birmingham to Atlanta (actually, I don't believe any of them actually moved, so all new people) and the consolidation of division offices to Austell!

Good news, though, recently the NS has tried to keep 19 & 20 moving through this mess. OTP is better, not perfect but better.

My memory was off just a bit. We also had a delay just prior to arriving into Atlanta. I also mistakenly posted on the thread I started that we arrived less than an hour late. Obviously that was incorrect. I was exhausted and posting that from my hotel room.

The scheduling nightmare for the Crescent in the MEI/BHM corridor began when KCS and NS jointly upgraded the Meridian Speedway between Shreveport and Meridian. This provided a route to avoid going through New Orleans or Memphis. Prior to that time my trips on the Crescent were usually on time, or delays of less than thirty minutes.

Hytec The delays have spread to the ATL - BHM route as well. Too much traffic ! As well there is the often delays at Howell CP. 19 lost an hour between ATL and Anniston today.

Back