favorite scenery on Amtrak usually passed through night,that you saw day due hours long train delay?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was the SW Chief delay that'd allow one to see Needles to Barstow and the Cajon Pass, on #3 going west? At least that's what I assume, but correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes, as @trainman74 pointed out.

In my case, we lost an hour and a half leaving Chicago. We stopped just outside Union Station (and I mean JUST outside - the coaches hadn't even cleared the tunnel). Our engineer spotted a warning light, and we had to wait for a mechanic to check it out.

We were nearly three hours late by the time we pulled into Kansas City. That's normally a very busy fresh air stop, but I was one of the few people to get off the train. It was pretty surreal.

I assumed we'd make up time in Kansas (that train usually has lots of padding and HIGHBALLS across Kansas), but nope. I woke up at my usual time, thinking we were pulling into Dodge City, but we were actually stopped in Hutchinson. By the time we reached Dodge City, I'd showered and been seated for breakfast.

We remained approximately three hours behind for the rest of the trip. As such, we arrived in Barstow around sunrise and pulled into L.A. around 10:45. I remember the time because they were holding the Coast Starlight, which normally leaves at 10:10.

My westbound SWC was several hours late a couple years ago.

I was pretty bummed that I wouldn't get to see Albuquerque after a few years of feeling homesick, but I got to see Dodge City and the Cajon Pass in daylight. That was pretty cool. :)

Seeing Dodge City in daylight was completely surreal. I had always passed through during the night. Sadly, I was seated on the wrong side of the diner and couldn't get pictures.

I didn't even know about the Cajon Pass until @trainman74 noticed how late I was on the train tracker and sent me a message about it. I looked it up online and read about it as we left Barstow.
You got some good photos of the Cajon area I recognized right off. They were all good.

I enjoyed seeing Arnold Loop, NV and Salt Lake City, UT in broad daylight aboard a many-hours-late eastbound CZ many years ago -- in mid-winter, no less.

Someone on the message board for trainorders.com thankfully posted a map of Arnold Loop(about 18 miles west of West Wendover, the first Nevada town west of the Utah/Nevada state line), since I wasn't sure where that was at first after looking it up on google maps, and not getting any results. That map is here, btw: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&ll=40.96713230763168,-114.13675392039511&spn=0.052604,0.117159&mid=1Gr8Y3nPq5_8ev7n-uSMxJl1lRXo&z=10 Also to note, the 3% track grade line to the south shown on this map was abandoned in 1923, and was only used for certain Western Pacific eastbound trains for something like 8-10 years after Arnold Loop was completed.

Yes, as @trainman74 pointed out.

In my case, we lost an hour and a half leaving Chicago. We stopped just outside Union Station (and I mean JUST outside - the coaches hadn't even cleared the tunnel). Our engineer spotted a warning light, and we had to wait for a mechanic to check it out.

We were nearly three hours late by the time we pulled into Kansas City. That's normally a very busy fresh air stop, but I was one of the few people to get off the train. It was pretty surreal.

I assumed we'd make up time in Kansas (that train usually has lots of padding and HIGHBALLS across Kansas), but nope. I woke up at my usual time, thinking we were pulling into Dodge City, but we were actually stopped in Hutchinson. By the time we reached Dodge City, I'd showered and been seated for breakfast.

We remained approximately three hours behind for the rest of the trip. As such, we arrived in Barstow around sunrise and pulled into L.A. around 10:45. I remember the time because they were holding the Coast Starlight, which normally leaves at 10:10.

On which past thread, did you post your pics going through the Cajon Pass? I'd like to take a look(a url link is fine to that other thread w/these pics), that you posted. Also I just did a 2 new posts on my Cardinal train trip thread, with some pics I took between Cincinnati and Culpeper, VA. Didn't get yet to pics I took on my regular camera, but I'll get to those pics later. Enjoy: https://discuss.amtraktrains.com/threads/cardinal-trip-report.75324/

Last edited:
I woke up on the California Zephyr west of Salt Lake City, on a still train which had been sitting there for hours due to a broken rail which required repair. Then, the crew timed out.

So I got to see Salt Lake, Salt Lake City at rush hour (yay, transit!) And snow covered pine trees in Utah before rolling into Helper and seeing the Helper Rock around noon.

Sunset came just after Colorado Springs. So, the trade-off was darkness through the Colorado Rockies until the lights of Denver coukd be seen, descending.

Last year, I got to ride along the Ohio River and see small towns of Kentucky on a delayed eastbound Cardinal.

Sort of on the opposite end, an eastbound Empire Builder out of Seattle had an early departure, due to construction and oil train traffic. We, consequently, misssed Glacier Park entirely in overnight darkness. However, I got to go through Stevens Pass at the height of fall color and see the entrance portal to the Cascade Tunnel.

And Sandusky Bay, numerous times.

An on time "party train" (going to the AU Gathering) into Denver was held 4 hours at the station. So, the conductor unleashed us onto the city and I got to sightsee during the layover. Going up to the dome of the state capitol building was very worthwhile.

Eastbound CZ through rural Utah. I'd seen a little bit of Utah going westbound after Grand Junction (CO) and before Green River. But coming back, something like 4 hours late (maybe more, don't remember) the scenery was spectacular, I had no idea Utah was so beautiful.

Last edited:
Eastbound CZ through rural Utah. I'd seen a little bit of Utah going westbound after Grand Junction (CO) and before Green River. But coming back, something like 4 hours late (maybe more, don't remember) the scenery was spectacular, I had no idea Utah was so beautiful.
Yep, Utah is very interesting, it's the people who are Bland, perfect example is Mitt Romney!:p

I agree that Utah is bland- very little historical value to explore.

Hey, the history museum in Hurricane has some bacon that's almost 75 years old.

hhkKapR.jpg

The stations at Omaha. It's fun to imagine what is was like: two grand stations across from each other, maybe a dozen or so active tracks between, and an elevated pedestrian walkway across the yards connecting the two stations. Must have been a heck of a sight at full activity.

And the plans of SE Nebraska, which are very pretty in their own way.

The stations at Omaha. It's fun to imagine what is was like: two grand stations across from each other, maybe a dozen or so active tracks between, and an elevated pedestrian walkway across the yards connecting the two stations. Must have been a heck of a sight at full activity.

And the plans of SE Nebraska, which are very pretty in their own way.

It's funny when I looked up the former Burlington station in Omaha, that it's now the main studio for one of their local TV stations to broadcast from! I read up about the restoration of that old building, and it seems like that TV station did a good job from what I read, about restoring that building. And that unofficially, they sometimes have given tours of that building to certain groups. I'm sure back in the day, it was probably great how many trains one could catch from Omaha to various other parts of the U.S.

Ditto with the plains of SE Nebraska, which are probably also nice to see during those times the train is very late. I wonder if you saw that on a westbound #5 train, or an eastbound #6 CZ train?

I woke up on the California Zephyr west of Salt Lake City, on a still train which had been sitting there for hours due to a broken rail which required repair. Then, the crew timed out.

So I got to see Salt Lake, Salt Lake City at rush hour (yay, transit!) And snow covered pine trees in Utah before rolling into Helper and seeing the Helper Rock around noon.

Sunset came just after Colorado Springs. So, the trade-off was darkness through the Colorado Rockies until the lights of Denver coukd be seen, descending.

Last year, I got to ride along the Ohio River and see small towns of Kentucky on a delayed eastbound Cardinal.

Sort of on the opposite end, an eastbound Empire Builder out of Seattle had an early departure, due to construction and oil train traffic. We, consequently, misssed Glacier Park entirely in overnight darkness. However, I got to go through Stevens Pass at the height of fall color and see the entrance portal to the Cascade Tunnel.

And Sandusky Bay, numerous times.

An on time "party train" (going to the AU Gathering) into Denver was held 4 hours at the station. So, the conductor unleashed us onto the city and I got to sightsee during the layover. Going up to the dome of the state capitol building was very worthwhile.

For Colorado Springs, did you mean somewhere else like Glenwood Springs, CO? As the Zephyr passes through there, and not Colorado Springs. That's interesting you got to see a lot of Utah in daytime, though! And ditto with lucking out on seeing Stevens Pass, on the EB. Was this going east, or west? Too bad you didn't get to see the part going through Glacier National Park on the EB, since that is a very nice part of the EB route! Plus ditto with the scenery in central Montana, as well.

Finally did have a chance to look through those pics, and they all really were nice! If I may ask, what town along the Southwest Chief was this courthouse pic taken in? https://www.flickr.com/photos/sorcha77/47018775624/in/album-72157691340145543/ And my other picture question along the SW Chief route, was where this reservoir pic was taken? https://www.flickr.com/photos/sorcha77/40841754643/in/album-72157691340145543/ I did some looking on google maps of eastern Colorado, and I'm starting to wonder if you took this pic by John Martin Reservoir, inbetween La Junta and Lamar. Have to say I had never heard of that reservoir, till now!

Also, did you ride the SW Chief westbound or eastbound on that 2017 trip? It is a little weird to think you hit Albuquerque after dark, but that at least you got a rare opportunity to see the Cajon Pass in the daytime.

Last edited:
Coast Starlight southbound passing through the Lake Shasta area.

Looking at the arrival times into Dunsmuir, it sure looks like a train would have to be hours and hours late going south(on arrival time going south is 12:35am), for one to luck out and see Mt. Shasta from #11. At least going north, you have somewhat of a chance if the train ran late, for one to see Mt. Shasta going north. And IF you were up, right after the train passed through Dunsmuir. Glad you got to see Mt. Shasta from #11, though.

It's funny when I looked up the former Burlington station in Omaha, that it's now the main studio for one of their local TV stations to broadcast from! I read up about the restoration of that old building, and it seems like that TV station did a good job from what I read, about restoring that building. And that unofficially, they sometimes have given tours of that building to certain groups. I'm sure back in the day, it was probably great how many trains one could catch from Omaha to various other parts of the U.S.

I had a nice chat with a railfan in Omaha, who came out to see the train, on one trip. He pointed out some details about the stations.

For Colorado Springs, did you mean somewhere else like Glenwood Springs, CO?

Yes, thanks!

As the Zephyr passes through there, and not Colorado Springs. That's interesting you got to see a lot of Utah in daytime, though! And ditto with lucking out on seeing Stevens Pass, on the EB. Was this going east, or west? Too bad you didn't get to see the part going through Glacier National Park on the EB, since that is a very nice part of the EB route! Plus ditto with the scenery in central Montana, as well.

Eastbound, out of Seattle. So I got to see the Sound and the Cascades.

When a train is late, if I miss certain scenery, I just accept it as an opportunity to see something unexpected, and an invitation to return to see what I missed on another future trip!

FB_IMG_15638759910220449.jpg FB_IMG_15638761602943115.jpg FB_IMG_15638758964810901.jpg FB_IMG_15638763031515964.jpg

Looking at the arrival times into Dunsmuir, it sure looks like a train would have to be hours and hours late going south(on arrival time going south is 12:35am), for one to luck out and see Mt. Shasta from #11. At least going north, you have somewhat of a chance if the train ran late, for one to see Mt. Shasta going north. And IF you were up, right after the train passed through Dunsmuir. Glad you got to see Mt. Shasta from #11, though.

The best part of waking up....

FB_IMG_15638757304023204.jpg

Most interesting thing about this thread has been learning just how much the timetables have changed over the years, I think.

When I rode the CZ in the 80s as a kid, it didn't require being late to see all of eastern Utah, or Omaha, in daylight. I was glued to the window during the whole Omaha station stop as the yard away from the platform was like a train museum (it had the UP 949/951 and business cars, among other things, parked there.)
Salt Lake City had quite decent service times back them - along the lines of 6:30 or 7am eastbound and 11pm westbound - and my bonus on a very late westbound trip was getting to see some of the country between Ogden and Pocatello on the Pioneer in daylight, in exchange for having missed everything after Glenwood Springs in the dark the night before. Eastbound you had to be on time to get the descent towards Denver in the light: the high mountain part was sunset lighting, the last few S-curves coming down into the plains it was pretty much dark and you could see the Denver city lights.

NorthShore's Shasta pic also is familiar - I woke up at first light to see Shasta out the window from an on-time Starlight, then dozen back off for another hour.

In 2008, a planned reroute of the California Zephyr over the former WP Feather River Canyon due to scheduled track work on the SP/UP over Donner Pass. Rode from Martinez to Portola. Used to make the drive along Highway 70 as a kid headed to summer vacation at Lake Almanor. Finally got a chance to ride the rails through this beautiful area.

That is nice scenery for sure, but of course the Current Donner Pass Route is also Great!

I enjoyed seeing the Cascades and Idaho between Seattle and Glacier Park on a Late #8 a few years ago when we were delayed @ the Cascade Tunnel due to malfunctioning Exhaust Fans.

I personally don't think I've seen anything better because of being late.

My first big trip was when I was 12 with my grandmother, we went to Seattle on the Empire Builder.

We went through Glacier at night because of delays. My grandmother hyped me up to see Glacier the whole time and I didn't even get to see it. I've never seen Glacier National Park.

I personally don't think I've seen anything better because of being late.

My first big trip was when I was 12 with my grandmother, we went to Seattle on the Empire Builder.

We went through Glacier at night because of delays. My grandmother hyped me up to see Glacier the whole time and I didn't even get to see it. I've never seen Glacier National Park.

That really sucks, you never got to see Glacier from the EB! I'd try to ride #8/28 going east through there, for better odds of seeing the portion going through Glacier during daylight hours. This tip includes during winter, as it'd likely get dark going west before hitting Glacier NP. IF you ride #7/27 going west during the summer(and as I did in early July of this year), I remember I lucked out and our train had sunlight all the way through just past West Glacier(when I got off the train), so thankfully I got to see that whole portion of the EB going through Glacier in daylight.

In 2008, a planned reroute of the California Zephyr over the former WP Feather River Canyon due to scheduled track work on the SP/UP over Donner Pass. Rode from Martinez to Portola. Used to make the drive along Highway 70 as a kid headed to summer vacation at Lake Almanor. Finally got a chance to ride the rails through this beautiful area.

That would've been interesting, to see the old Western Pacific CZ route via Gerlach, NV and Portola, CA. Lucky you!

Back