Charlotte Gateway Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrEd

Conductor
Charlotte Gateway Station:

"CATS has purchased a one-half acre site along the west side of the NS tracks in uptown Charlotte. The property will be used for the rail platforms at Charlotte Gateway Station, the proposed southern terminus for the LYNX Purple Line. North Carolina Department of Transportation owns approximately 27 acres of property on the east side of the NS tracks, which will be used for the Charlotte Gateway Station and other mixed-use development. "

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/CATS/R...Description.htm

In addition to new train service, plans are progressing for a new multi-use station. There are some informational meetings coming in a couple months.

FAQ :blink:

Q. Will Amtrak activity still only be primarily after midnight?

A. Current plans call for some 6-8 daily intercity trains, mostly during the day, connecting Charlotte and Raleigh, with some extended to Atlanta and Washington.

I think North Carolina has done a magnificent job of realizing that mass transit is the answer to our future needs. I have seen all the stations they have re-done or should I "brought back to life." The Rocky Mount station was still in its bi-centennial colors when they re-did it. Looks like Maine and North Carolina are running neck and neck in showing the rest of the country how to get trains running again. Now if we could only get a NOL train that goes east...maybe FEMA isn't busy this week.

I think that California and Illinios also deserve to be on that list. And Washington, Oregon, Pennsylvania to a lessor extent have been doing things to improve train service. Michigan, Missouri, and Wisconsin deserve an honorable mention for at least keeping going what they started.

Thanks for the link Mr. Ed. As a frequent visitor to Charlotte I'll look forward to the station - any idea on a date for construction?

I hope NC will also work to improve Amtrak schedules to the Northeast. When we travel to the northeast, we generally take the Palmetto from Florence. Driving to Charlotte takes about the same time - a little over an hour, but the schedule is not as convenient. A good daylight train on the more direct route used by the Crescent would be great. Or even better, an overnight train with decent departure times.

Mr. Ed,

I think you must have just found this. Yes, North Carolina is doing things, but not to the extent as has been talked about. If you go to www.bytrain.org and then to "Station Improvments" and then click on Charlotte, you will find at the bottom of that page several links to studies that were done in 2002. If you click on "Station Project Timeline", it will tell you that construction began on th e station last year. Obviously, it has not. It appears that the timeline was last updated in 2004, which was when the state had complete acquisition of property, the 27 acres you mentioned above.

It does sound like they are really going to build this thing, but it would not be a good idea to hold your breath while waiting.

This is not to take away from the fact that North Carolina really is doing a lot of work to promote rail passenger travel. It is to say that their timelines are quite often "optomistic". I think this has more to do with getting the funds provided by the state than the people actually trying to get the work done having the will to do it.

I think as time progresses there will be more and more daytime activity at the station. The state is intending to add another Raleigh to Charlotte train in a mid-day time schedule.

They hve already done most of the easy and quite a bit of the less easy things to improve the speed and reliability of the state supported trains between Raleigh and Charlotte. The biggest current project is restoration of 9 miles of second track generally between Greensboro and High Point that was taken out in the early to mid 60's.

The extension of trains to Atlanta will depend upon cooperation with South Carolina, Georgia, and Norfolk Southern, who at times seem to be in a contest to see who is least interested in passenger trains.

I think that California and Illinios also deserve to be on that list. And Washington, Oregon, Pennsylvania to a lessor extent have been doing things to improve train service. Michigan, Missouri, and Wisconsin deserve an honorable mention for at least keeping going what they started.
Agreed; but they're light years ahead of every one else and have the population base to back up their services. Chicago never had to start from scratch like the Downeaster did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi George

reason I posted this now, is because of the new CATS 'purple' line which will push for the building to actually take place. I got notifed about public meeting and they linked into the other info as you noted. I know nothing has been done for a long time and this is first activity in years. Current station is really not that old, 1960s, and location is not bad for me, but has no connections for bus and other light rail service.

..will host two public meetings this fall to provide routine project updates:

September 9

Derita Presbyterian Church (2230 West Sugar Creek Road, Charlotte, NC)

6:30-8:00 pm

September 11

Davidson Town Hall (216 South Main Street, Davidson, NC)

6:30-8:00 pm

I would think the new station might be completed by end of 2010, but then I have to go to the meeting to find out.

currently phase 1 is going on, creating new tracks. Amtrak might be able to use it by 2023. They also looking for a developer to finish the vision of the project.

FYI - the connection between a city building a new station and Amtrak running/ADDING multiple trains is a real stretch. Just a reality check.

Initial construction will have 2 tracks with an island platform, accessed from below. There is provision for a third track with a side platform, accessed directly from the station. This arrangement should provide enough capacity to support expanded Piedmont and SEHSR service as well as frequent HSR service to ATL and, possibly, some commuter rail. Not sure how the recent CATS Silver Line LRT plan fits in.

Initial construction will have 2 tracks with an island platform, accessed from below. There is provision for a third track with a side platform, accessed directly from the station. This arrangement should provide enough capacity to support expanded Piedmont and SEHSR service as well as frequent HSR service to ATL and, possibly, some commuter rail. Not sure how the recent CATS Silver Line LRT plan fits in.
Isn't the plan to expand the streetcar line, the Gold Line, to the new Gateway station?

Back