Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HGSCS

Train Attendant
Inspired by the great thread on Union Station vicinity dining...

I am scheduled to arrive at New York Penn on the Silver Meteor at about 11:00 AM. I have a car service taking me to the airport at 3:55 PM. Assuming that the Meteor is reasonably on time, that will leave me with some time to grab lunch.

What do people suggest?

I try to find places that meet at least some of these criteria:
1) Not a large chain restaurant;
2) Something that I would not be able to experience in my small town;
3) Something that is local in nature;
4) Something that is ethnic in nature.

I have in mind a New York Deli, ramen, etc. I don't mind walking, but anything over a mile each way is probably pushing it since I will be in work clothes toting my laptop bag.

There are lots of places just outside the building. And it depends on which exit you take as to where you will end up.

Side note - you can take the train to JFK and avoid the car service and potential traffic delays. We have done that a few times and it works great.

I would suggest any of these places that serve mouth-watering food and say much about New York City and America's terrific ethnic diversity:

1. Zoralie, 51st St. between 9th and 10th Aves. Best local Puerto Rican food in tiny New York style setting.
2. Ta'am Tov, 47th street between 5th & 6th Aves (3rd floor, walk up, look for sign). Unique Uzbeki kosher restaurant in the heart of the Diamond District.
3. India Kitchen, 9th Ave. (between 38th & 39th Sts.) Terrific home-cooked Indian food.
4. Kosher Deluxe, 46th St. (between 5th & 6th Aves.) Another Diamond District favorite serving the best (if not only) cholent on Thursday & Fridays.
5. Hangawi, 32nd Street, off 5th Ave. Vegan Korean, nice setting.
6. Ariana Afghan, 9th Ave. (between 52-53rd St.) Theater district Afghan, very tasty.

All are walking distance from Penn Station (get a map and choose the right exit) or you can take a bus or short cab ride. (Check hours of operation).

Last edited:
This!

For two slices of Pepperoni and a large drink it's about $10. So for NYC really affordable! And it's really good!

Three for this place, my corporate offices are about a block north, and this is where everyone goes when they want "a slice of pie". To bad I am in Texas and only been out to NYP a couple of times, but I always go here for lunch.

Inspired by the great thread on Union Station vicinity dining...

I am scheduled to arrive at New York Penn on the Silver Meteor at about 11:00 AM. I have a car service taking me to the airport at 3:55 PM. Assuming that the Meteor is reasonably on time, that will leave me with some time to grab lunch.

What do people suggest?

I try to find places that meet at least some of these criteria:
1) Not a large chain restaurant;
2) Something that I would not be able to experience in my small town;
3) Something that is local in nature;
4) Something that is ethnic in nature.

I have in mind a New York Deli, ramen, etc. I don't mind walking, but anything over a mile each way is probably pushing it since I will be in work clothes toting my laptop bag.

As was mentioned before, Macy’s.

None of their restaurants are stuck in the past. Stella 34 is on the 6th Floor, and draws a very New York crowd. Rowland’s Pub is in the basement, as is a food court designed to look like Food Trucks.

Ken

Inspired by the great thread on Union Station vicinity dining...Which Union Station?

I think the original poster here, meant New York Penn Station where he/she was trying to find ideas for places to eat nearby. Not any of the other Union Stations in various cities, though that this poster said that he/she was inspired by seeing that other thread. And looking through other threads, I'm thinking that poster probably was thinking of this about food options inside and near Chicago Union Station: https://discuss.amtraktrains.com/threads/restaurants-near-chicago-union-station.75492/

Last edited:
Dafni Greek Taverna- 42nd near 8th Ave, around the corner from Port Authority
Shanghai Mong Asian Cuisine- West 32nd Street, between B'way and 5th, Korea Town
Antalia Turkish Restaurant- West 45th between 5th and 6th
Remi Northern Italian Cuisine- West 53rd Street, between 6th and 7th

If you don't want to leave the station before heading to the airport, Tracks Bar and Grill near the LIRR ticket office... assuming you trip is before they close in six weeks.

Back