Are Amtrak employees permitted to use medical marijuana?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Halima

Ok so if i have a medical marijuana card am i able to work for Amtrak

State laws don't apply. Medical or not it is not only prohibited for employee use, but it is possible to be arrested and charged under Federal law even for possesion of small quantities that may be legal in some states. State and local LEO won't do it in states where it is legal, but one of the various federales might.

State laws don't apply. Medical or not it is not only prohibited for employee use, but it is possible to be arrested and charged under Federal law even for possesion of small quantities that may be legal in some states. State and local LEO won't do it in states where it is legal, but one of the various federales might.

I would venture a guess that part of this is, depending on your Amtrak job, that you can be physically in more than state in any given day. Amtrak needs to adopt what are the most restrictive laws.

It's more than that. Commercial transportation in most forms is covered under a variety of Federal rules. Amtrak is a strange duck. When Congress created it, it delineated which laws it followed and when. Mostly Federal, but when/where alcohol is served would be a notable exception. Even in states where MJ is legal either medical or recreational, there are plenty of jobs where its presence in the system is disqualifying. Federal rules are very strict for things like RR workers, pilots, and commercial drivers. The only thing that is "newer" is the availability of an EAP or diversion program in certain situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back