Silver Meteor almost 5 hrs late?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEREB

Service Attendant
Train 97 left Penn Station just a little late yesterday. Estimated arrival time in Hollywood is now 10:47. Everytime I check, its another hour late. Anyone knows what's going on? At this point, what are the chances if making up even a little time?

I know something went wrong with the lead engine so they wyed the locomotives at Acca Yard in Richmond.

Nothing was wrong with the lead unit. They cut it off and wyed it to replace an engine that went to assist disabled 66. Then, there was a medical incident. It also was walloped by traffic and the CSX heat restrictions, which knock 20 mph off the maximum authorized speed, (but not slower than 40mph.)

It adds up.

On a recent trip back from Tampa on the Silver Star we had a delay at Winter Park due to a medical emergency - they had to pull up from the station with the door across the road so an ambulance could off-load a passenger and take them to a hospital. Even though these delays can be an inconvenience, it is nice to know they are willing and equipped to accommodate such an emergency

Nothing was wrong with the lead unit. They cut it off and wyed it to replace an engine that went to assist disabled 66. Then, there was a medical incident. It also was walloped by traffic and the CSX heat restrictions, which knock 20 mph off the maximum authorized speed, (but not slower than 40mph.)

It adds up.

I am curious and was wondering how do you know this detailed information. I certainly believe you but I'm curious also.

It adds up.
OK because they borrowed 195(?)'s engine to run 66, they needed to leave an engine back. I was listening to Ashland scanner so I'm familiar with 66's saga. They even shut down the railroad because first responders were in the RoW because someone called 911 from 66. This unfortunately delayed the rescue move (P935 I believe).

I think 97 even had to borrow a pilot to run that section of the wye.

Back