New York Penn Station Empire Service Boarding

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

National Limited

Service Attendant
I recently took a trip on train 69--The Adirondack from Penn Station in New York. I've ridden some Empire Service trains from Penn Station before so was familiar with the boarding procedure but for a first timer it can be a little confusing (and for someone with limited experience it can be quite frustrating). So I thought I'd post a pictorial directory of the boarding procedure to help any new travelers.

All Empire Service trains board from the lower number tracks (usually 5 or 6 East). Unlike other trains in Penn Station, passengers queue in advance of the announcement of the train in the corridor south of the main central waiting area. This photo is taken looking west immediately south and west of the Penn Station "rotunda." The main waiting area is to the right in this photo.

IMG_1665r.jpg

Here is another photo of the area of the queue. This photo is looking west. The main central waiting area is to the right out of the photo.
IMG_1666r.jpg

The front of the queue terminates at the escalator leading down to tracks 7 & 8 East. For trains crossing the boarder into Canada "international" passengers will queue to the right of the stanchion in this photo (to the south), domestic passengers will queue on the left of the stanchion (to the north)--immediately adjacent to the escalator leading town to tracks 7 & 8 East. For international trains there will be signs at the front of the queue indicating which side of the line is for international and domestic travel.
IMG_1667R.jpg

When the trains board, passengers will usually proceed (NB: when directed by Amtrak personnel--learned that the hard way!) to tracks 5 or 6 East. Trains that cross the boarder will load international passengers first followed by domestic travelers. Please note there is a check in procedure for all international passengers. The booth for international check in is usually immediately adjacent to the entrance to tracks 5 & 6 behind the sign in the photo below and at the south end of the stanchion. I did not observe this procedure but I assumed that the international check in must be completed BEFORE passengers enter the queue. Someone else could probably confirm or correct this. The photo below is taken from the same position as the photo immediately above but simply looking south rather than east.
IMG_1668R.jpg

Hope this is helpful. There is really no signage other than the one in the photo above helping passengers finding their way. Once you've done it all makes sense but the first time is usually quite confusing and, frankly, a little terrifying!

Lead us not into Penn Station...

I am taking the Maple Leaf in the fall. Do international travelers still also line up at the separate little kiosk/desk to get border crossing baggage tags prior to lining up for the train?

So the first view is right off the rotunda on the south side looking west (towards 8th), the second is still looking west, from further west, the third is look east (towards 7th) from the top of the 7/8 East escalator, and the fourth is looking south (towards 31st) towards the 5/6 East escalator from about the same place as the third shot? So the line starts back close to the rotunda, comes on the south side the 7/8 East escalator then turns and loads down 5/6?

I think I'll get a Red Cap..

Zephyr,

. . . but deliver us from people!

As I was a "domestic" traveler on The Adirondack I didn't actually see how they were handling the "international" passengers but the word I overheard from people asking those in the "international" line was that they had to "check in" before getting in the queue. As I headed to the gate to board I saw the check-in stand (actually more like a cart) but all the "international" passengers were boarded first so I never saw what they actually did. So I believe that, yes, you do check in before getting in the queue. But someone else on the board could probably confirm/correct that assumption.

And to the questions in your second paragraph, yes to all.

I do have to say that the boarding procedure for the Empire Service trains seems to be just a bit more civil than the boarding procedure for all the other trains in Penn Station. You at least know where you need to be before they call for the train--no running wildly to the gate.

Hope the photos help get you in the right place! Let us know if they did.

For a first time traveler, I can see this being frustrating as well.

This might sound funny, but I'm serious... Align yourself with the doughnut shops. When lining up for an Empire Service, Ethan Allen. Maple Leaf, Adirondack or Lake Shore Limited train, a Dunkin Donuts will be on your left, a Krispy Kreme in the distance behind you (perhaps within sight if you're far back in line), and a Tim Hortons on the opposite side of the concourse (shouldn't be within sight if in line)

Here's a (crudely) modified map I found on this site that might help:
Orange line is where passengers for Empire trains line up (and others to Albany and points north/"upstate")
The Canada check in desk was between the line and the Amtrak waiting area last time I traveled.
Penn Station Map.png

I take Empire from Penn a couple times per week. If you can manage to sign up for a credit card that includes Acela Club membership, and I think all Star Alliance cards have a premier card that does, it is helpful not only for someplace quieter to wait for your train than the rotunda, but the tracks are announced 10-15 minutes earlier than the general announcement. This way you can board early and avoid the line. I’m not sure how that affects international passengers on the Maple Leaf or Adirondack, but if you’re staying in the US it is helpful.

All Empire Service trains board from the lower number tracks (usually 5 or 6 East). Unlike other trains in Penn Station, passengers queue in advance of the announcement of the train in the corridor south of the main central waiting area. This photo is taken looking west immediately south and west of the Penn Station "rotunda." The main waiting area is to the right in this photo.

I never understood the 'line up thing" for the Empire service trains. They don't really start forming lines for other trains, 30 minutes in advance. Indeed, there are only a few tracks they can use. I suppose it has to do with this:

I do have to say that the boarding procedure for the Empire Service trains seems to be just a bit more civil than the boarding procedure for all the other trains in Penn Station. You at least know where you need to be before they call for the train--no running wildly to the gate.

The only thing I would add is the Adirondack and Maple Leaf are running as a combined train through September 2nd. Therefore, it can not fit on 5 and due to platform work, 6 is problematic. 9 is stretch so you'l likely see it on 7 or 8

This might sound funny, but I'm serious... Align yourself with the doughnut shops. When lining up for an Empire Service, Ethan Allen. Maple Leaf, Adirondack or Lake Shore Limited train, a Dunkin Donuts will be on your left, a Krispy Kreme in the distance behind you (perhaps within sight if you're far back in line), and a Tim Hortons on the opposite side of the concourse (shouldn't be within sight if in line)

Back