Alan Burden (AlanB)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From left to right, that’s Alan, me, Sarah, Jeb, Jay, and MarcRider (whose name I always forget).
For clarity - Jay goes by TraneMan and is wearing the hoodie. MARCRider is sort of hidden between Jay and Jeb. I can't remember his name either. I kept thinking of him as "Marc" during the Gathering.

I really wish I knew which story Alan was telling.
default_smile.png

From left to right, that’s Alan, me, Sarah, Jeb, Jay, and MarcRider (whose name I always forget).
Sorry to say I always forget MARCRider’s name, too. But do recall it’s the same as at least 2 other AUers. Had to reach back in my 2013 PMs to find it. Sorry Joe for forgetting your name.

I also wanted to offer my condolences to Grace, Crystal, and the rest of Alan's family. I first met Alan back in 2007 when we had the original Gathering back in Chicago. I definitely had some trepidation about going to Chicago to meet a bunch of people that I knew only from online postings, but I had a great time and have continued to come ever since.

As someone with mobility issues, Alan went out of his way to always allow plenty of time between connections when planning the itineraries. He always made a point to let me know not to feel like I was slowing the group down and he made me feel genuinely appreciated.

When I met him at the Chicago Gathering, I commented that I had always wanted to ride the Acela in First. He looked at me casually and said, next time you're in New York, let me know and we'll plan a trip. Granted, I didn't feel like I had to twist his arm too hard, when I told him I was planning a trip a few months later.

He helped me make all the necessary arrangements and we boarded Train 2252 December 9, 2007 en route from New York to Boston. When we boarded the train he ordered his usual glass of white wine and chatted with Wilson, the First Class attendant whom Alan knew from previous trips.

Apart from chatting with me and pointing out all the interesting scenery, he was also listening to his scanner to check for any upcoming delays. About an hour later, the train stopped for a few minutes and Alan told me we were going to be delayed, while we waited for another train to pass, but that we should be moving shortly.

A few minutes later, Wilson came came strolling by to ask if we would like any additional drinks or refreshments, turned to Alan, smiled, and said, "How are we doing for time boss?" Alan told him the delay would be minimal and we would be rolling shortly.

You have to know that Alan was truly knowledgeable about riding the rails when even veteran Amtrak employees would look to him as their primary source of information.

We had a nice dinner in Boston that night and I took a train back to Wisconsin the next day, while Alan headed back to New York.

A few year later, when I was in New York again, he planned a mini Gathering and we spent the afternoon just riding in and around Penn Station. He was always willing to give of himself and share his unending knowledge and enthusiasm for trains.

I sent him a quick text on June 23 and we chatted about family, life and the upcoming OTOL fest. I had also mentioned that I wanted to get together before or after the upcoming AU Gathering. Sadly, I won't have that chance.

Grace,

Your son was a wonderful human being that had a personal impact on my life, and he will be truly missed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also wanted to offer my condolences to Grace, Crystal, and the rest of Alan's family. I first met Alan back in 2007 when we had the original Gathering back in Chicago. I definitely had some trepidation about going to Chicago to meet a bunch of people that I knew only from online postings, but I had a great time and have continued to come ever since.

As someone with mobility issues, Alan went out of his way to always allow of time between connections when planning the itineraries. He always made a point to let me know not to feel like I was slowing the group down and he made me feel genuinely appreciated.

When I met him at the Chicago Gathering, I commented that I had always wanted to ride the Acela in First. He looked at me casually and said, next time you're in New York, let me know and we'll plan a trip. Granted, I didn't feel like I had to twist his arm too hard, when I told him I was planning a trip a few months later.

He helped me make all the necessary arrangements and we boarded Train 2252 December 9, 2007 en route from New York to Boston. When we boarded the train he ordered his usual glass of white wine and chatted with Wilson, the First Class attendant whom Alan knew from previous trips.

Apart from chatting with me and pointing out all the interesting scenery, he was also listening to his scanner to check for any upcoming delays. About an hour later, the train stopped for a few minutes and Alan told me we were going to be delayed, while we waited for another train to pass, but that we should be moving shortly.

A few minutes later, Wilson came came strolling by to ask if we would like any additional drinks or refreshments, turned to Alan, smiled, and said, "How are we doing for time boss?" Alan told him the delay would be minimal and we would be rolling shortly.

You have to know that Alan was truly knowledgeable about riding the rails when even veteran Amtrak employees would look to him as their primary source of information.

We had a nice dinner in Boston that night and I took a train back to Wisconsin the next day, while Alan headed back to New York.

A few year later, when I was in New York again, he planned a mini Gathering and we spent the afternoon just riding in and around Penn Station. He was always willing to give of himself and share his unending knowledge and enthusiasm for trains.

I sent him a quick text on June 23 and we chatted about family, life and the upcoming OTOL fest. I had also mentioned that I wanted to get together before or after the upcoming AU Gathering. Sadly, I won't have that chance.

Grace,

Your son was a wonderful human being that had a personal impact on my life, and he will be truly missed.
A very nice tribute, and insight into some of the traits that has made Alan so revered here...

I especially liked hearing how he made sure the gathering's were 'inclusive' to all.

I also smiled hearing of the train crew's looking to Alan for info....
default_smile.png

I just saw this today. Such sad news. years ago I private messaged him about which NJ transit trips would be good day trips. He was so helpful. On multiple trips to nyc I would reference his message like a guide book and pick which of his suggestions I wanted to ride. That was my only "personal" encounter with him, but just that memory is a very special one to me.

I'm so sorry to learn of AlanB's death. He was always the most knowledgeable, patient, and helpful poster on this board. While I never met him personally, I have many fond train-riding memories thanks to his help in learning the ins and outs of AGR.

He did so much good on this forum and others, and his kindness spread far beyond his wide circle of friends. I'll miss him.

Great looking group of friends in these photos. I never met him, but he must have been good people to have such friends.

Today is the one year anniversary of Alan's passing. His mother, brother and sister spent the day together today. My thoughts are with Alan's family and the "family" of OTOL/AU members who were on the Crescent a year ago today.

I oddly keep forgetting, that Alan passed away. I always enjoyed reading his posts, and it's too bad he passed away. RIP to him, and my prayers are with his family.

Wish I'd gotten the chance to meet you in person, Alan,
grateful the forum allowed me to revisit our correspondence.
A truly unique person, honest and genuine, who knew how to connect with others

Back