Following Anniversary Engine #156

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw AMTK 156 leading Amtrak #5(19) through Agency, Iowa this evening. This California Zephyr was over an hour late.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw the 156 loco in Denver on the CZ back on the 12th. The westbound CZ stopped in Denver before the station to pick up then156 and another locomotive and a baggage car. I was able to talk to the engineer (because the train was having electrical problems after he consist was assembled) and he was saying that then156 was giving him a lot of troubles over the Rockies a few weeks earlier. The train finally began moving almost two hours late but it gave me plenty of time to get someImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1469057788.075509.jpgImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1469057884.680698.jpg good shots of the locomotive. ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1469057726.585666.jpg

I saw AMTK 156 leading Amtrak #6(22) through Agency, Iowa this morning. This eastbound California Zephyr was running close to fifty minutes late. It had a nice engineer too.

AMTK 156 is leading Amtrak #6(14) to Chicago today. This eastbound California Zephyr was about half an hour late at Agency, Iowa. It sounds like some freezing rain froze inside 156's horn.

Neat lashup: Southwest Chief 3(17) through Galesburg by Railcam 17:34 17 Jan 2017:

Veterans Livery P-42 42 on elephant lead and 40th Anniversary Livery P-42 156 trailing.

Winter 6-car Superliner consist w/Bag.

Photo from screencap from Galesburg Railroad Museum North Camera 1 Live Stream.

IDR seeing photo of these two together

Galesburg_CZ5_011717_P42_Veterans-42_Commemorative-156_1633a-redu.jpg

Neat lashup: Southwest Chief 3(17) through Galesburg by Railcam 17:34 17 Jan 2017:

Veterans Livery P-42 42 on elephant lead and 40th Anniversary Livery P-42 156 trailing.

That would be California Zephyr #5(17). I heard its engineer over the radio report its leader at AMTK 42 as I was on my way out of Iowa.

That would be California Zephyr #5(17). I heard its engineer over the radio report its leader at AMTK 42 as I was on my way out of Iowa.
Maybe so. Thanks for noticing. VERY HARD to view image Timestamp through VERY ANNOYING DEFAULT YouTube GBB RR Museum header that blocks |highlights top of screen/pic.

Have been unable to determine how to manually remove that. Great 20th century coding pioneered by the likes of Bill Gates Micros*it nimrods.

If it's CZ 5 http://dixielandsoftware.net/cgi-bin/gettrain.pl?seltrain=5&selyear=2017&selmonth=01&selday=17

SWC 3 http://dixielandsoftware.net/cgi-bin/gettrain.pl?seltrain=3&selyear=2017&selmonth=01&selday=17

AMTK 156 is heading west as the second unit on Amtrak #5(24). I caught this California Zephyr running almost on time in what I've seen described as a "crystal ball meet" with its counterpart #6 in Agency, Iowa tonight.

156 came back through Agency today as the second unit on Amtrak #6(27). This eastbound California Zephyr was running twenty-four minutes late.

The eastbound California Zephyr came through the snow in Agency, Iowa today with AMTK 156 as the second unit again. #6(11) was almost an hour and a half late.

AMTK 156 was on an excursion train today from Chicago to Kansas City on the Union Pacific for the American Association of Private Rail Car Owners. A UP ACe was the leader while 156 was the second unit. I caught this Kansas City Rocket at Chariton, Iowa and south of Millerton.

AMTK 156, previously assigned to Ski Train duty, is now leading Amtrak #6(28) to Chicago today. This eastbound California Zephyr was twenty minutes late at Agency, Iowa.

156 is leading the eastbound California Zephyr to Chicago again today. Amtrak #6(06)'s engineer waved out the window while going by.

AMTK 156 is heading west as the second engine on Amtrak #5(22). This California Zephyr was running on time at Agency, Iowa.

156 is heading back west on Amtrak #5(28), although it's now leading. This westbound California Zephyr would have met #6(26) just east of Agency, Iowa.

Last edited by a moderator:
AMTK 156 is heading back west leading Amtrak #5(04). Near the start of the video you can hear over the radio the dispatcher mention a broken-down freight train on the east side of Ottumwa, Iowa. The Zephyr lost time waiting at the crossover at Beckwith waiting for an eastbound train to clear so it could run left-handed on the eastbound track to Ottumwa. It was close to an hour late at Agency.

AMTK 156 is leading Amtrak #6(07) to Chicago today. It was twenty-four minutes late at Agency, Iowa. Also, something I didn't notice when this California Zephyr went west is that the fourth sleeping car is the Edward L. Ullman.

156 is going for another round on the Zephyr leading Amtrak #5(10). I caught it at Agency, Iowa running on the left track to pass the stopped train visible at the start.

156 will be arriving at Chicago later today leading Amtrak #6(13). It was just over an hour late at Agency, Iowa.

AMTK 156 is the third unit on Amtrak #6(09) heading toward Chicago now. The train was nearly nine hours late as it passed Agency, Iowa.

Back