Current Coast Starlight Consist?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drdumont

TRAINS, AMTRAK and TESLAS! I'm colorful, not crazy
AU Supporting Member
The Great (and may I add) sovereign State of Texas
Several times I enjoyed the extra first class lounge car on the CS, and the wine tasting as we went through the wine country. A couple of questions if I might?

1) I understand the lounge car is no longer part of the consist. Is it expected to be restored?

2) No more wine tasting? I'm not that much of an oenophile, but a free bottle of Red going in to the
diner was kind of neat.

I also remember holding for an hour or so at the Air Base as we waited for them to might of a rocket.
Kinda nifty.

I’ve seen a couple of YouTube videos of it going through Sacramento and here’s what I’ve observed,

2 Engines
1 Baggage
1 Trans/dorm
3 Sleepers
1 Diner
1 Business Class
1 Sightseer Lounge
2-3 Coaches

I haven’t seen or read anything about restoring a first-class lounge, and with losing a summer sleeper I doubt they’d put much emphasis on it. Although I think it would be cool to institute a first-class lounge that would be available to the sleepers and business cars. That would definitely give a better benefit to riding in the Business car.

I saw #11 south of Gilroy yesterday morning. No extra lounge car for first class passengers. I doubt that it will return. Nor will wine tasting for any passengers.

Starlight is now another, standard western Superliner and will be for the foreseeable future.

There is not even a glimmer of restoring a sleeper class lounge car.

It's dead, folks. It was nice while it lasted, but it is well and truly gone.

Let's just hope it keeps its full service diner...

The lounge for sleeper passengers (Pacific Parlour Car) is gone forever.

Wine tasting? Forgetaboutit.

Stops for a rocket launch? I think that's a delay I wouldn't mind.

Thanks for the info. I had heard that the Pacific Parlour Car was out for repair. Sounds like an excuse for them to 86 the idea.
And yes, the stop to watch the rocket lift off was pretty nifty.

not out for repair for future amtrak use. their last runs were announced several weeks in advance and mementos were sold onboard the final runs by the pacific parlour car attendant -- I purchased some metal luggage tags.

Some of them, if not all, were sold at auction by Amtrak earlier this year.

Two of them are on-site at SRI in Owosso, MI. They’re due to be transformed into first class lounges for the organization’s “North Pole Express” trips for pax 18+. I believe the ones up there are Columbia Valley and Willamette Valley.

Back