Death on SWC 3

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erinch13

Train Attendant
The Chief is currently parked between Las Vegas NM and Lamy due to a tragic death of an unwell passenger. Been parked for at least 3 hours waiting for a coroner. This is the same trip that was bussed for flooding in Kansas, and then waited for a couple more hours for the delayed SWC 4 to make it to Newton.

What a trip.

Thanks for the info. Not a fun time.

The good news is it looks like they are back moving. Also looks like the #4 that was delayed for earthquake track inspections is waiting at Pecos for the pass.

Edit; sorry the siding was the one near Pecos (I couldn’t find an actual name) not Chapelle.

Last edited:
I googled this and one article I found states the man was from Riverside CA. we've been a bit busy with earthquakes here but I guess there'll be something on the news.

I think it was in Classic Trains magazine about 2 years ago of a college student taking a summer job as a coach attendant on the Santa Fe in the pre-Amtrak days. During his training trips, he was told by the 'old head' porters that for sure, he'd have someone die in 'his' car. Sure enough! Some old lady died in the toilet on his first 'solo' trip!

Back