Riding backwards SEA to CHI

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems to be very American and Japanese thing to have an inherant issue with riding backwards. I once spent 5 days traveling backwards in Russia none stop as did 50% of all passengers and in the UK and most of Europe seats are fixed in one direction. Japan and USA are the only 2 countries which come to [m]ind with rotating seats
Yeah, this odd desire to face the direction of travel seems to be unique to the United States, Japan, China, Taiwan, South Korea, etc. Which makes sense since I often see people walking backward and facing the trunk in cars or the aft bulkhead on ships and planes in other countries. What a bizarre and inexplicable conclusion.

Yeah, this odd desire to face the direction of travel seems to be unique to the United States, Japan, China, Taiwan, South Korea, etc. Which makes sense since I often see people walking backward and facing the trunk in cars or the aft bulkhead on ships and planes in other countries. What a bizarre and inexplicable conclusion.

Well from experience Chinese trains do have fixed seating on trains.

We have vans, buses and coaches with rear facing fixed seats as well in Europe and certainly in China again I've travelled backwards in a mini van.

By law any child under 2 must face backwards in car as well.

Other than planes and cars I can't think of a mode of transport that I haven't travelled backwards in. And I'm sure if airlines could come up with a way of squeezing more passengers into a plane they'd do it even if some seats backwards.

No offence was intended it was just my own personal experience of differing cultures apologies if this came across as a criticism

Well from experience Chinese trains do have fixed seating on trains. We have vans, buses and coaches with rear facing fixed seats as well in Europe and certainly in China again I've travelled backwards in a mini van. By law any child under 2 must face backwards in car as well. Other than planes and cars I can't think of a mode of transport that I haven't travelled backwards in. And I'm sure if airlines could come up with a way of squeezing more passengers into a plane they'd do it even if some seats backwards. No offence was intended it was just my own personal experience of differing cultures apologies if this came across as a criticism
I do not disagree that many people will quietly make do with a rear facing seat. In the case of a couple or foursome that can face each other they may even prefer such an arrangement. That being said I've never seen anyone offer to pay extra or give up something of value for the privilege of facing backward when a forward facing seat was otherwise available. It's true that some vans and buses have rear facing seats, but I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the number of times I've seen someone in such a seat try to swap for a forward facing example. In the case of commercial aircraft rear facing seats are statistically much safer and yet no major commercial carrier offers such seats as part of their standard cabin layout (other than to their own staff). Not everyone sees facing backward as a major disadvantage, but among those who do have a preference facing the direction of travel appears to be far more common.

Last edited:
A response and a new comment:
  1. I have never sen the lower compartment with the seats turned so that they faced the blank wall opposite the door. I's my guess the car was added at the last minute, and instead of turning the whole car, they turned only the upstairs seats.
  2. Nephew said he didn't mind riding backwards, as he was seated opposite the disabled space, and could look out both sides well. What he minded, really, was the EB missing the connection with the Cap ltd in Chicago. But at least he got to spend the night with his older brother who lives there.

I'm sure if airlines could come up with a way of squeezing more passengers into a plane they'd do it even if some seats backwards.
British Airways, American Airlines and Cathay Pacific all have aircraft with some rear-facing seats in Business Class. Nothing really new about it, but they are generally the last to be booked.

VIA Rail is going with fixed 50-50 seating as cars are refurbished. Since they don't allow seat selection at time of booking, the computer seems to assign the rear-facing seats first and you have to call and complain to get them changed.

When two people are in a roomette, one of the two has to ride backwards. Initially I thought it was unpleasant but After riding backwards for awhile, I found that you can actually see the scenery better as it stays in view longer. Looking forward, by the time you can focus on something, it flies by.

I get severely ill if I ride backwards. I plead with an attendant to see what he or she can do to rectify the problem.

British Airways, American Airlines and Cathay Pacific all have aircraft with some rear-facing seats in Business Class. Nothing really new about it, but they are generally the last to be booked.

Well, at least there is "Seat Guru" so you can tell which seats might be facing backward on an aircraft, and attempt to be seated elsewhere.

And there is no way guaranteeing a set car type for a select train either. Grab what runs as a substitution for a Bad Order and it can ruin that.

I would actually prefer to ride backwards on long distance, overnight trains when riding coach, and wish such was commonly available. I think it would make sleeping easier.

I'd be pretty PO'd if I were compelled to ride backwards for such a long trip. For a fairly short trip on commuter rail, it's tolerable. For Amtrak LD, unacceptable.

Back