How are dining car reservations made?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is true, and from my limited experience departing from Emeryville, there is a sign in front of the vendor kiosk in the station reminding passengers that the first meal on the Zephyr is lunch and thus suggesting pax buy items for breakfast in the station. (It doesn't help that the station is located in the middle of nowhere, in terms of accessible food & beverage options---contrary to the other Bay Area stations.)

The Emeryville station isn't in the middle of nowhere. Plenty of food and beverage options within a five minute walk, either via the pedestrian bridge over the tracks, or walking a couple of blocks. More options than Berkeley, particularly since Spengers closed. It's a bit better than San Jose. Light years ahead of Richmond or Oakland Coliseum. It's not up to Jack London Square's level, but few places in the East Bay are. It's comparable to Martinez, although that station has the advantage of being within walking distance of the birthplace of the Martinez cocktail, better known as the Martini:

https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/birthplace-of-the-martini

Oh wow!!! I didn't know the Martini was born in Martinez and thus aptly named. Shut the front door!!

Until I read this thread, I actually didn't know that on trains with a full service diner, that coach pax could feasibly request "at-seat" service. I just assumed one had to either eat in the diner or eat in his/her room (if that was the accommodation).

“Credo Quia Absurdum!”

TiBike, thanks for increasing my vocabulary and adding to my “generally useless knowledge” database. (I tried not to, but I just had to look it up!) I’m always on the lookout for more tidbits of information that almost no one that I know will give two hoots about, but that I find tremendously interesting!

Back