USA by Rail guide book

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just received mine from Amazon, but haven't read it yet. I know I could look up the info online, but it will be handy having it already printed out in a bound form. I expect to spend many hours contemplating and dreaming about various train vacations I could take.

I have several earlier editions of the book. I like it because the author, John Pitt, is from Great Britain, and his section on what to expect in the USA is written from his perspective as someone from another country. It's always interesting to see our country viewed from someone else's perspective.

I bought the Kindle version, which I have been leafing through. Much useful information, but the claim that it has been thoroughly updated is misleading. For example, the info on the Coast Starlight is seriously out of date. It writes lovingly about the Pacific Parlour Car, notes that meals are served on real china, and that sleeper guests get an amenity bag which might contain a logo glass or umbrella. Well, not in years, I would say. Also, it reminds riders to look out the window on leaving Seattle for the Kingdome--which was imploded almost 20 years ago. Useful, sure. Updated and revised, not so much.

^ Darnit, that's too bad. Seems like I may not be missing much, if the info in that book is like 20 years old! Myself,I would prefer the info be more recent, like no more than 3-5 years old.

Does this book mention Amtrak trains that are no longer running today? I.e. Three Rivers, Pioneer, Desert Wind, Sunset Limited's portion east of New Orleans, Kentucky Cardinal, etc. Or whatever the train in Florida was, that ran through Ocala and Waldo before being rerouted.

Back