New York to Washington

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlamoWye

Train Attendant
I was wondering why when I try to schedule a trip from NYP to WAS it gives me the Long Distance trains as well as the NEC and Acelas. The posted schedules indicate that these trains only allow boardings at WAS.

WAS is an extended stop because of the switch from the wire to diesel; I would think that would allow more than enough time for WAS bound pax to comfortably get off. If your schedule allows and you have to chose between NEC and long distance, take long distance.

A couple of weeks ago I took the Crescent from NYP to WAS. I too was surprised that the system was willing to sell me a seat on a long-distance train for a trip in the NEC, and I was even more surprised that almost all the other coach passengers also left the train the WAS. Filling the train with all those NYP-WAS passengers means they can't sell those seats to anyone traveling from NYP to ATL or NOL or other points south - which I thought was the whole point of the restriction in the first place.

I'm sure Amtrak stays on top of capacity control and if a large inventory of seats is open out of NYC, they'll offer them for those traveling to WAS. Probably the same Northbound as well.

They seem to allow mid-corridor travel on some LD trains, but not all.

A few weeks ago I took the southbound SM and was surprised when they gave the standard "leaving" announcements at Trenton and Philadelphia. Except for Newark (which is still "R"), you can get off at any station. For example, you could travel from Wilmington to Baltimore on the SM.

You can do this on the SM, but not on the SS.

Back