Circling the Northeast by Rail

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that detailed report and great photos. I got tired just reading it! I couldn’t handle those early am starts and you did so much in a short time.
It was interesting to read your list of the service on Train 76. Amtrak could take lessons. Is there still a service chief (steward) on the Ocean. I wish Amtrak would try that (again) as I understand they are responsible for the entire OBS. I think that helps with service consistency especially with VIA using seasonal help on the Canadian, and maybe Ocean? I think I had my best sleep on a train in an upper on the Ocean years ago. Sleeping on those deep and wide mattresses make Amtrak beds feel like your sleeping on the floor.

Your welcome as always. I’m honestly not sure how I handled all of those early AM starts. I’m slowly getting back to my normal sleep schedule now.

VIA has a service manager who basically is the conductor and head of OBS. On the ocean they work the whole route. On the Canadian they change at Winnipeg. VIA does a great job.

Thanks for the interesting trip report! Your ‘chase’ towards Moncton is the same route I do myself.

And thanks for adding ‘Limited’ to the Ocean. A name it had for nearly 50 years from it’s original inaugural in 1904…...and reminiscent of the time it had ‘Sleeping Cars Only’ status!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_(train)

Last edited:
Thanks for the interesting trip report! Your ‘chase’ towards Moncton is the same route I do myself.

And thanks for adding ‘Limited’ to the Ocean. A name it had for nearly 50 years from it’s original inaugural in 1904…...and reminiscent of the time it had ‘Sleeping Cars Only’ status!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_(train)

Your very welcome. I love that chase route and I really want to spend some more time chasing west of Sackville to be honest. There are some beautiful shots in that area. But I can leave that for the next time. You should post some of your photos from the area as mine aren’t as good.

To me it has been and only ever will be the Ocean Limited. I also have the habit to refer to the corridor trains with their old names.

Back