5/31 Texas Eagle (#422) CANCELED

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The few times I've ridden the Thruway service linking OKC and NEW (via Wichita), it was not a Greyhound scheduled route, but a dedicated Amtrak service. It is indeed overnight and uses standard coaches, but only carried Amtrak passengers.

I researched this, as I am booked on this route for later on, and this is one of the hybrid Thruway routes. In other words, it is basically run for Amtrak passengers, but if someone turns up with a connecting Greyhound ticket or walks into their station in the middle of the night to go from Wichita to Newton, they can. The bus company is well-regarded and runs a couple of regular route bus services in addition to the Texas Chief route.

https://www.beeline-express.com/beeline/ does not even show the Oklahoma City -Wichita segment.

It says on Amtrak's page this morning that the Missouri River Runner will be a bus trip until the 12th.

I'm supposed to leave on the Eagle on the 12th. I'm hoping that AT LEAST Amtrak gets its stuff together enough to run a bus bridge, if not running trains the full way. I've investigated the other options (a friend in Louisiana even offered to drive to either Tyler or even Dallas and get me) and they are really unappealing - either flying and then Greyhound, or Greyhound all the way

The Missouri River Runner morning trips are back in operation but the afternoon trips are still using busses.

By the way, does anyone have any idea when those trips will return to using trains? I'm leaving on July 1st from Chicago to California and decided to go via St. Louis in order to ride the River Runner for the first time, but the afternoon trip is the one with a connecting Lincoln Service from Chicago so I would want to change to the SWC all the way out of Chicago if train service had not resumed by that point.

The Missouri River Runner morning trips are back in operation but the afternoon trips are still using busses.

By the way, does anyone have any idea when those trips will return to using trains? I'm leaving on July 1st from Chicago to California and decided to go via St. Louis in order to ride the River Runner for the first time, but the afternoon trip is the one with a connecting Lincoln Service from Chicago so I would want to change to the SWC all the way out of Chicago if train service had not resumed by that point.

Looks like this weekend: https://www.amtrak.com/alert/st-louis-kansas-city-service-fully-restored-this-weekend.html

I took 21 (Texas Eagle) back on Wednesday into Thursday. We were 2 hours late at Mineola because of some freights and speed restrictions along the Mississippi (I did not look out the window of my roomette to see how close the water was to the tracks, because I figured I'd just worry about it and not sleep if it were very close), but really? Two hours late is a MINIMAL delay for the Eagle even without the challenges of flooded areas.

The Missouri River Runner had been cancelled again through Friday.

I'm undecided what to do about my Monday CHI-STL-KCY-NDL trip; there's one seat left on the SWC from CHI to KCY but it's an upper bucket. I'm definitely not going via STL if I know in advance there's a bustitution (I'd rather cancel entirely) but would prefer to go that way if it's operating which it is still scheduled to do as of now.

Does anyone know whether the River Runner will be operating tomorrow? The cancellation was extended through today, whereas tickets are still being sold for tomorrow although the status is listed as service disruption.

Back