New Employee!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Everyone!

Well it finally happened! After a couple years of persistent trying, I finally joined the team on Amtrak! Today I was notified that I officially passed all my pre-employment testing, and I just completed all my New Employee paper work online.

Now I have some question to any current/former employees who are active on this forum. What advice do you have for any new employees in the OBS position? Are there any “mistakes” that new employees commonly make that are avoidable? Also, from your experience, what’s the best way to pack for your trips? What do you usually bring along your trips and the amount of clothing?

Thanks for your help in advance and feel free to leave any advice!

Last edited:
Congrats. However, I would be careful about identifying yourself as an Amtrak employee on a railroad forum. You could find yourself the object of unwanted attention both from the public and Amtrak management.

Be careful, and have fun.

Wasn't there a book about how to travel on Amtrak written by an OBS employee? I've forgotten the name of the book, but I remember he said he liked to grow mung beans on a multi-day trip, so he'd have something fresh to eat along the way.

Congrats. However, I would be careful about identifying yourself as an Amtrak employee on a railroad forum. You could find yourself the object of unwanted attention both from the public and Amtrak management.

Be careful, and have fun.

Not really necessary to be careful. There are a few Amtrak employees in this forum (I won't call them out but they're obvious in their posts or forum names) and they seem not to have any qualms about people knowing they work for Amtrak. Congratulations Garcia_736 and good luck with your employment on the rails!

Not really necessary to be careful. There are a few Amtrak employees in this forum (I won't call them out but they're obvious in their posts or forum names) and they seem not to have any qualms about people knowing they work for Amtrak. Congratulations Garcia_736 and good luck with your employment on the rails!

I know who they are, it’s easy to tell, and they’ve made their choice. You can also tell they’re fairly senior in their positions.

I’ve heard stories about how trainmasters and other management personnel look through these forums to see if anyone is leaking company information to “foamers”. I suppose freight employees are less forgiving than Amtrak, but it’s still prudent to be cautious.

I know who they are, it’s easy to tell, and they’ve made their choice. You can also tell they’re fairly senior in their positions.

I’ve heard stories about how trainmasters and other management personnel look through these forums to see if anyone is leaking company information to “foamers”. I suppose freight employees are less forgiving than Amtrak, but it’s still prudent to be cautious.

I suppose that’s true. But I’m sure even newbie employees should know better than to leak such information, being we’re in the age of social media. Of course, who knows who’s lurking around. I was referring to not worrying about general stuff....I should have been more specific.

I suppose that’s true. But I’m sure even newbie employees should know better than to leak such information, being we’re in the age of social media. Of course, who knows who’s lurking around. I was referring to not worrying about general stuff....I should have been more specific.

He is right. Amtrak is very very anal on certain things being public. But a new employee might post something thinking oh this may be helpful to someone who is in a future class of say LSA’s and it’s a fireable offense.

Congrats on your exciting new opportunity. As others have said, best to err on the side of caution as a new employee, regardless of what others are doing or not doing. You have an ex-airline guy running the show and I can tell you as a former airline employee. how you can't be too careful in your job. It's not to make you paranoid, you will have a great time. It just never hurts to be careful where your employer is concerned.

Back