Springfield, MA Intermodal Center

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
neroden said:
The situation with 448/449 stopping at low-level platforms when there is a high-level platform isn't going to be tolerated forever.  Amtrak should be thinking about its ADA obligations a bit harder than it currently is...
I highly doubt Springfield would get another high level platform unless an east-west corridor ever came to fruition. The optimal solution to deal with 448/449 would probably be to add a switch connection west of the platforms between CSX track 2 and Springfield Line track 2. On the east end all the tracks eventually can connect to the CSX line already. That would allow 448/449 to exit the main line, pull through the station on track 4 or track 6, stop at the high level, and then continue forward and renter the main line on the other side of the station. To have 448/449 stop at the high level without this would require a backup move. I don’t see them spending the money this just for 448/449. Probably not worth adding a backup move to avoid the low level also. They’ll just keep using a wheelchair lift for it. There are other stations with high level platforms that also have some low level platforms - Washington comes to mind. If it’s ok for Washington I’m sure it’s going to be ok for Springfield.
It is also not unusual in the event of a late Vermonter for the two Vermonters to meet in the station or down by Sweeney. And 449 comes through normally somewhat close to the time the Vermonters do ( and I have seen a couple times the lake shore pass through with both Vermonters sitting side by side in the station.) three trains fighting for tracks 4 and 6 could delay a train in that scenario.

From signage I saw associated with the platform project, track 8 which is kind of the main track now will also continue to see some trains which if true will also still be low level. On Saturday and Sunday mornings one regional must park on track 8 (with the other on track 6) so on weekend mornings I wouldn’t be surprised if one regional still uses track 8 for boarding rather than pulling out of the station and then backing into one of the high level tracks. On weekdays there’s just one regional laying over so if you park that on track 6 you’ll be all set those days.

I highly doubt Springfield would get another high level platform unless an east-west corridor ever came to fruition. The optimal solution to deal with 448/449 would probably be to add a switch connection west of the platforms between CSX track 2 and Springfield Line track 2.
This seems pretty easy.

On the east end all the tracks eventually can connect to the CSX line already. That would allow 448/449 to exit the main line, pull through the station on track 4 or track 6, stop at the high level, and then continue forward and renter the main line on the other side of the station. To have 448/449 stop at the high level without this would require a backup move. I don’t see them spending the money this just for 448/449.
They'll get sued. They'll do it. Not sure when.

Probably not worth adding a backup move to avoid the low level also. They’ll just keep using a wheelchair lift for it. There are other stations with high level platforms that also have some low level platforms - Washington comes to mind. If it’s ok for Washington I’m sure it’s going to be ok for Springfield.

It's not OK for Washington and they're spending large amounts of money to change it. (Very slowly.)

Amtrak is generally behind the times; I mean, they're 10 years late on their original ADA requirements and they were given 20 years. Congress and/or the agencies tighten the regulations intermittently. Mark my words, this is something they need to plan on fixing preemptively, if they don't want to be behind the 8-ball again; they're going to be mandated to fix this sort of stuff pretty soon.

An intelligent approach to ADA rules is to use current best practices whenever doing a project because that usually gets you ahead of the upcoming regulatory changes. Amtrak has not even been complying with the existing regulations, which is a dumb approach.

Over the next week Amtrak will be relocating from the 1994 Amtrak Station Building at Springfield (SPG) and relocating into the new Union Station transit center at 55 Frank B. Murray Street located on the opposite side of the railroad viaduct. The transit center was constructed within the historic Union Station originally constructed in 1926 by the Boston and Albany Railroad and condemned in 1973. A multi-agency project restored the historic terminal building and demolished the former attached freight and baggage warehouse and in its place a bus terminal was constructed and also restored the tunnel underneath the tracks to the Lyman Street entrance - the entrance from Lyman Street was used exclusively by passengers after condemnation and Amtrak constructed a smaller facility on top of the viaduct adjacent to track 8. The new transit center opened on June 24, 2017 to local bus passengers (Pioneer Valley Transit Authority) and Peter Pan and Greybound began using the facility in September 2017 (all of which relocated from the now demolished Peter Picknelly bus terminal across the street.) CTrail commuter rail began using the building in June of 2018 for their ticket machines - with the relocation of Amtrak rail passengers will now have the full use of the new facility. The new building also contains a Subway and Dunkin Donuts (both of which moved from the former Peter Pan terminal) a convenience store, a rental car office, as well as space for an additional food service and retail tenant. The upper floors contain commercial office space - tenants include a local architecture firm as well as a crew facility for CTrail's operator on the second floor and the corporate headquarters of Peter Pan Bus Lines on the third floor. Additionally the new facility also has free wifi which the former Amtrak facility lacked.

Incredible! It only took TWO years to move the Amtrak station to the new facility? I was thinking it was more of a never-never thing. I remember when I moved to Springfield in '95 and had a company-furnished apartment on Lyman St overlooking the station. Back then, the ticket office and waiting area was in the 'tunnel' that had been blocked off. It was a joy when they opened up the new 'box' topside.

Incredible! It only took TWO years to move the Amtrak station to the new facility? I was thinking it was more of a never-never thing. I remember when I moved to Springfield in '95 and had a company-furnished apartment on Lyman St overlooking the station. Back then, the ticket office and waiting area was in the 'tunnel' that had been blocked off. It was a joy when they opened up the new 'box' topside.
It sure did take a while! It sounds like it was held up by a number of things and when one issue got worked out another one presented itself - it's hard to believe they are actually doing it - however I was there today and the process has begun.

MODERATOR NOTE I posted this news on two similar threads that could probably be merged together.
MODERATOR RESPONSE: Thanks for the heads up. The threads were merged and your duplicate post was removed.

Here are two articles on the Amtrak move, which was unveiled Monday, June 10, 2019: https://www.masslive.com/news/2019/...-platform-expected-to-open-in-four-weeks.html and https://www.wwlp.com/news/local-new...neal-discuss-amtraks-return-to-union-station/

A fair use quote:
As for now, Amtrak passengers buy tickets and make travel arrangements with staff on the main concourse, then walk upstairs to track side or take the elevator past the old waiting room to meet their trains on the existing platform. Getting on a train requires walking across the track and climbing up a portable stool.

But contractors are completing the new Platform C, an $11 million state-funded project to build a new high-level platform that’s handicapped accessible. Platform C will have its own, new stairwell and elevator to the hallway and concourse below.

It'll be open in about four weeks, said Kevin Kennedy, city chief development officer for the city of Springfield.

Last edited:
So how are they handling the Lake Shore Limited?

Is the LSL using the high level platform or still use the ground platform. Did Amtrak/CSXT or the state add a switch on the west side, does the LSL pull in, then back out?

So how are they handling the Lake Shore Limited?

Is the LSL using the high level platform or still use the ground platform. Did Amtrak/CSXT or the state add a switch on the west side, does the LSL pull in, then back out?
The Lake Shore will continue to use the low level platform on track 2 (the CSX mainline) - there is not a switch on the west end that would allow the Lake Shore to pull into the Amtrak side of the station and then continue on and I highly doubt they'd do a backup move. Also 449 comes through pretty close to when the Vermonters do and there will be times where both Vermonters are at the new platform when 449 arrives as the Vermonters tend to meet at Springfield (though if on time, the south bound is supposed to be out of the station before the north bound one comes in.) While it would be nice, it just isn't practical. That being said I did hear of one rare occurrence in the last year where 448 backed in to track 8 from the east because a CSX freight was occupying track 2 and blocking the platform (if I recall it might have been disabled) so 448 had to pass through to east of the station on CSX track 1 and do a reverse move into the MRS line part of the station.

Last edited:
I highly doubt Springfield would get another high level platform unless an east-west corridor ever came to fruition. The optimal solution to deal with 448/449 would probably be to add a switch connection west of the platforms between CSX track 2 and Springfield Line track 2. On the east end all the tracks eventually can connect to the CSX line already. That would allow 448/449 to exit the main line, pull through the station on track 4 or track 6, stop at the high level, and then continue forward and renter the main line on the other side of the station. To have 448/449 stop at the high level without this would require a backup move. I don’t see them spending the money this just for 448/449. Probably not worth adding a backup move to avoid the low level also. They’ll just keep using a wheelchair lift for it. There are other stations with high level platforms that also have some low level platforms - Washington comes to mind. If it’s ok for Washington I’m sure it’s going to be ok for Springfield.

Spoiler: it's not OK for Washington DC and has Amtrak under quite a lot of advocacy and legal pressure. It looks like they're going to have to build some high-level platforms on the lower level next time they renovate it.

Chicago, in its Union Station renovation plans, is now officially prioritizing establishment of a couple of high-level platforms. This is again to get ahead of the future disability related lawsuits.

It is also not unusual in the event of a late Vermonter for the two Vermonters to meet in the station or down by Sweeney. And 449 comes through normally somewhat close to the time the Vermonters do ( and I have seen a couple times the lake shore pass through with both Vermonters sitting side by side in the station.) three trains fighting for tracks 4 and 6 could delay a train in that scenario.

From signage I saw associated with the platform project, track 8 which is kind of the main track now will also continue to see some trains which if true will also still be low level. On Saturday and Sunday mornings one regional must park on track 8 (with the other on track 6) so on weekend mornings I wouldn’t be surprised if one regional still uses track 8 for boarding rather than pulling out of the station and then backing into one of the high level tracks. On weekdays there’s just one regional laying over so if you park that on track 6 you’ll be all set those days.

The Lake Shore will continue to use the low level platform on track 2 (the CSX mainline)
So people go up to platform C, then walk to the end, down a ramp, and cross the tracks to the track 2 platform from there? Just as labor-intensive as the old method, complete with blocking tracks to trains so that passengers can cross them?

They really need another high level platform and also the missing crossover tracks that would allow the LSL to use Platform C. The additional HL platform is necessary to handle the situation when the two Vermonters and an LSL shows up at the same time.

So IMHO they have only managed to get half the job done at Springfield. Of course, we are so starved for anything at all that we are quite ecstatic!

It's also possible for two LSLs to show up at once, when delays happen!

I do think there's a really natural way to add more platforms, which would be "CSX friendly" -- given that CSX doesn't want high platforms on its mainline. If they added a siding next to the station and a high platform there, they wouldn't need to build an additional elevator to access it (just a ramp to the second floor of the station), which should keep costs under control. That and the crossover to allow the LSL to access platform C from the west would probably be sufficient to handle most situations, *and* mean that the LSL would not stop on the mainline (unless it was waiting for two Vermonters to get off the platform, I guess). An extra pair of switches could allow the Vermonter to use a station-side platform in a pinch.

I also agree that they've only done half the job. :-(

It's also possible for two LSLs to show up at once, when delays happen!

I do think there's a really natural way to add more platforms, which would be "CSX friendly" -- given that CSX doesn't want high platforms on its mainline. If they added a siding next to the station and a high platform there, they wouldn't need to build an additional elevator to access it (just a ramp to the second floor of the station), which should keep costs under control. That and the crossover to allow the LSL to access platform C from the west would probably be sufficient to handle most situations, *and* mean that the LSL would not stop on the mainline (unless it was waiting for two Vermonters to get off the platform, I guess). An extra pair of switches could allow the Vermonter to use a station-side platform in a pinch.

I also agree that they've only done half the job. :-(

They technically have one now - track 2A, but it’s an island platform between that and the mainline. $11 million was spent on the platform - mostly coming from the state (I’m assuming they got some federal money through grants.) technically a separate project than the station rehabilitation. Don’t get me wrong I’d be all for another platform but I have a feeling that would be tied to the possible east west rail study that is being talked about. If East west corridor service to Boston comes then I think platform B would get rebuilt as well. Absent that, and with the high cost platform C was I think the best thing that we would get would be Amtrak putting up a temporary make shift platform with a ramp constructed on top of the current low level sort of like Hartford did which would still require using the crossing. Note that tracks 2 and 8 are equipped with wheelchair lifts and the station is staffed for passenger assistance for all train departures and arrivals so it’s less of an issue here than in other places (and they stay late until the last train is in if it’s running late) - though I do understand Washington is under pressure too so I’m sure they’ll have to address this eventually. I just don’t think the state is going to be taking much of an initiative unless the new corridor service happens.

Last edited:
So people go up to platform C, then walk to the end, down a ramp, and cross the tracks to the track 2 platform from there? Just as labor-intensive as the old method, complete with blocking tracks to trains so that passengers can cross them?

Well my understanding is the dispatchers don’t have a final track chart and method of operations yet. So some dispatchers are taking the initiative while others are sticking to the track chart until told otherwise. (Which prefers track 8/platform D - the old main low level platform.) so right now you are lucky to use the high level. I’m sure that will be sorted out soon as the platform just opened last Thursday. Springfield being a Terminal station with a few tracks they have to figure out the new way of logistics of bringing trains in on tracks 4 and 6 and moving them to other tracks for parking.

Right now passengers are supposed to enter the track D entrance (the former station entrance where the Amshack is) and cross over to the track 2 platform. Though I think people are still trying to figure things out so staff is having to go up there and make sure people go to the right place - if people are on the new platform they guide them down the ramp to the crossing. Unfortunately the signage that was put up for the platform project doesn’t mention the lake shore’s platform so they need to address that.

Quick question: Is the understanding that they should go to all high-level platforms and the job hasn't been finished due to lack of funding, etc., or is there still a need for a low-level one? (I've been through but never disembarked there.)

Quick question: Is the understanding that they should go to all high-level platforms and the job hasn't been finished due to lack of funding, etc., or is there still a need for a low-level one? (I've been through but never disembarked there.)

There is no need to have any low level platform. They have just not managed to build enough high level platforms to meet all the needs yet. They have also not updated the track layout to make the high level platform accessible conveniently by the LSL yet. So some low level platforms have to be used.

Some recent developments at Springfield. The 1994 vacated Amshack station is being repurposed for a larger space for the Springfield crew base. Originally the crews used a small portion of the building along with two modular trailers which have been removed. With the trailers gone work has begun to water proof the remaining portion of the concourse below in the track 8/platform D area (the portion that was the Amtrak lobby before the full concourse/historic station building was reopened.) The platform is currently closed and all MRS line trains are currently using platform C (the new high level.) Not that we have many trains running at the moment!

Back