How are Viewliner roomettes?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kbyrdleroydogg

Train Attendant
I'm thinking of taking a viewliner train from Chicago to NYC. How are the roomettes? I've never stayed in one. Are they really small? How is the sound between cars? Can you hear your neighbor talking?

A major factor is whether the room is used for 1 or 2 travelers. Traveling solo, the in room toilet is much less contentious an issue, and the vertical travel of the upper makes it useful as a shelf, or offers the option of sleeping up top (with windows) and leaving the lower as seats.

A major factor is whether the room is used for 1 or 2 travelers. Traveling solo, the in room toilet is much less contentious an issue, and the vertical travel of the upper makes it useful as a shelf, or offers the option of sleeping up top (with windows) and leaving the lower as seats.

My wife and I travel in a Viewliner roomette and find it works very well for us.

We find the toilet to be not a problem (we been married for 53 years!), and in fact, find it quite convenient in the middle of the night. Not looking forward to the new ones sans toilet.

I also like it, but I understand the reasons that many others have mentioned in their arguments against.....Rarely an issue for solo trvelers, but with 2 in a room there is a pretty deep divide....

OP didn't say if he's traveling solo or double.

Solo--no problem. Double--iffy. As others have said.

I've found noise from other passengers in the car to be a problem only if they leave their doors open (e.g. while on the phone or watching a movie) or talk or play (i.e. kids) in the hall. From roomette to roomette through the walls, noise is minimal, although if the next person's commode is near your head, you might hear a flush.

I prefer the viewliner over the superliner - I usually travel alone so space isn't a big issue but I do find the viewliners to be a little roomier (or at least they feel that way) and better laid out. I love sleeping in the top bunk since it has a window (top bunk of the superliner does not) and leaving the lower bunk as is (my 'office' - !)

When traveling solo in a Viewliner I prefer the roomette as its usually quieter than a bedroom. When the new cars come out and no toilet in roomette I will go back to bedrooms as Im not interested in a middle of the night walk to the bathroom.

I've never traveled on a Viewliner, but admit the thought of the roomette with the toilet makes me squeamish. Every time that thing flushes, and especially if the lid isn't down, toilet plume is spraying all over the interior of the roomette. I'd rather take the short walk down the hall to the communal bathrooms in the Superliners. But I realize I'm probably more bothered by such things than many others here.

I've never traveled on a Viewliner, but admit the thought of the roomette with the toilet makes me squeamish. Every time that thing flushes, and especially if the lid isn't down, toilet plume is spraying all over the interior of the roomette. I'd rather take the short walk down the hall to the communal bathrooms in the Superliners. But I realize I'm probably more bothered by such things than many others here.

The ViewLiner toilet cover is thick , heavy, and has a rubber gasket seal too prevent splashing, odor, and noise .It is not like a regular toilet seat cover. All toilets should be flushed with the cover closed. It is a vacuum system that sucks air into the bowl too prevent splash and odor from entering the roomette. You stand on the cover too climb up to the upper bunk.

Even the regular rooms are really small!! The only difference is the place with the toilet is also where you take a shower.

The biggest question for you, if traveling solo, is whether to sleep in the loft or the basement. Some points:
Loft - unlike the superliners, the loft has a nice view outside and lots of headroom. You can then go down to the basement and have lots of room to dress and sit down in the morning even before the SCA makes up the room.
Basement - no climbing. you can pull down the loft bed, lay out your clothes on it for the morning, then push the loft bed back up until morning. Plenty of room to put your suitcase there too.

Let your SCA know which you prefer. I liked the loft when I could climb. Now I stick to the basement.

I like the Viewliner roomettes and the toilet. Although I am able to climb, I do not like climbing up and down and up and down and up and down, so I sleep on the lower bunk.

Back