Upcoming Trip on the Crescent this weekend

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryher

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Hi all,

My 11 year old son and I are so excited for our trip this Sunday. Thanks to everyone here on this forum I was able to plan our trip (here's the original thread helping me decide https://discuss.amtraktrains.com/threads/help-planning-upcoming-trip.74422/)

Depart
Sunday June 9 from PHL 3:55PM

Arrive
Monday June 10 in NOL 7:32PM

Accommodations: Bedroom

I understand this route has alot of delays, which is fine by us :) As you'll see we're all about the trip and not as much the destination. So as long as we're in a comfortable Bedroom we're fine with any delays. So I'm not expecting us to get in at 7:32PM. probably closer to 10PM from what I've been reading. Or later.

We then check into a hotel nearby and stay the night. Early the next AM we're back on the return trip home :) Yep I know the smart thing is to take some time and explore NOL. I just dont have that much time to use. The trip itself will take us at least 3 days without spending any extra time in NOL. We're both A OK with that as we just want to get back on the train.

Return Trip
Depart
Tuesday June 11 from NOL 7:00AM

Arrive
Wednesday June 12 in PHL 12:08PM

Accommodations: Bedroom

Again, just fine with any delays on the way back. Do you think we'll get a second dinner on the way down before arriving in NOL?

My son is really excited to do a video tour/review of the trip. We did one for our trip on the autotrain.

Any other tips or things to look out for or report back on?

There should be an "Express Dinner" on board the Crescent before arriving into New Orleans. It will be a single seating, and a limited menu. (Most likely the only entrees will be Burgers, Chicken, Entree Salad, and Pasta). While some would think it's crazy to eat dinner on the train and not in New Orleans, it's included in your room and it's all part of the experience!

You guys will enjoy the single-level equipment, it rides alot differently than the Superliners and the Viewliner design is pretty cool.

If you are early risers, open up the window southbound, the early morning views going through the Blue Ridge Mountains are really pretty.

Crescent is a really fun train that has a variety of scenery... have a great time!

We were on the Crescent a few weeks ago. We didn't find the "express dinner" to be that limited. We ordered the steak. It seems to me that baked potatoes were not available and possibly the Land and Sea option was not available, just the steak, but all other menu options were available as far as I can recall.

Our train was maybe an hour late at Atlanta, three hours late into New Orleans. Hope you have a great trip.

Hi all,

My 11 year old son and I are so excited for our trip this Sunday. Thanks to everyone here on this forum I was able to plan our trip...

I understand this route has alot of delays, which is fine by us :) As you'll see we're all about the trip and not as much the destination. So as long as we're in a comfortable Bedroom we're fine with any delays. So I'm not expecting us to get in at 7:32PM. probably closer to 10PM from what I've been reading. Or later.

We then check into a hotel nearby and stay the night. Early the next AM we're back on the return trip home :) Yep I know the smart thing is to take some time and explore NOL. I just dont have that much time to use. The trip itself will take us at least 3 days without spending any extra time in NOL. We're both A OK with that is we just want to get back on the train.

Y'all are true railfans! The journey is the destination ...

Thanks all.

There should be an "Express Dinner" on board the Crescent before arriving into New Orleans. It will be a single seating, and a limited menu. (Most likely the only entrees will be Burgers, Chicken, Entree Salad, and Pasta). While some would think it's crazy to eat dinner on the train and not in New Orleans, it's included in your room and it's all part of the experience!

You guys will enjoy the single-level equipment, it rides alot differently than the Superliners and the Viewliner design is pretty cool.

If you are early risers, open up the window southbound, the early morning views going through the Blue Ridge Mountains are really pretty.

Crescent is a really fun train that has a variety of scenery... have a great time!

So wait, are you saying the top window opens up on the viewliners?? If so thats awesome and never knew that. Or maybe you just meant the curtains covering the windows.

We were on the Crescent a few weeks ago. We didn't find the "express dinner" to be that limited. We ordered the steak. It seems to me that baked potatoes were not available and possibly the Land and Sea option was not available, just the steak, but all other menu options were available as far as I can recall.

Our train was maybe an hour late at Atlanta, three hours late into New Orleans. Hope you have a great trip.

Ok great to know about the meals all. From what I've been reading and hearing here, and to confirm what you said, expecting to get into NOL 10:30 or later. So would hopefully get this extra meal Bonus!!

Y'all are true railfans! The journey is the destination ...

Thanks for recognizing that. My wife just thinks we're nuts :)

I have taken the Crescent, and the one thing I could recommend is being awake for Northern Georgia. The Chattahoochee National Forest is one of the more scenic areas you will be able to see during the day time.

You might be the type of person who likes to rise early anyway, but if not, I would set an alarm to see that...and then maybe nap a little later. You can miss a little bit of Georgia/Alabama if you get to see that area.

Then, the next big bit of scenery is when you approach and cross Lake Pontchartrain. That is pretty spectacular!

So those are the two best scenic bits. The part in the middle, most of Alabama and Mississippi, is charming, but you can miss a bit of it.

Honestly I think anywhere between Greenville and Metro Atlanta is fairly scenic. From Greenville to Toccoa off the right hand side of the train you can see the Blue Ridge Mountains in the distance and that shouldn’t be missed after Toccoa the views get even better. Have a good trip.

I believe you will get dinner on No. 19 going into New Orleans regardless of whether the train is on time or is running late.

If the train is running late you will not be able to see much of Lake Pontchartrain going west but you will see it in the morning eastbound.

I have taken the Crescent, and the one thing I could recommend is being awake for Northern Georgia. The Chattahoochee National Forest is one of the more scenic areas you will be able to see during the day time.

You might be the type of person who likes to rise early anyway, but if not, I would set an alarm to see that...and then maybe nap a little later. You can miss a little bit of Georgia/Alabama if you get to see that area.

Then, the next big bit of scenery is when you approach and cross Lake Pontchartrain. That is pretty spectacular!

So those are the two best scenic bits. The part in the middle, most of Alabama and Mississippi, is charming, but you can miss a bit of it.

Agree. The Chattahoochee is a national, natural treasure and a very scenic forest on the ground or from a train. After all, it's where Amicalola Falls and Springer Mountain are, where the Appalachian Trail begins its 2,192-mile route to Katahdin, Maine.

Back