Surfliner Equipment Maintenance?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmy1

Service Attendant
In the last couple months, it seems like many of the Surfliner trainsets are running with substitute equipment. For example, I've seen trainsets with:
  • A second Superliner car subbing in for a coach or the regular business class car
  • A California or long-distance lounge car subbing in for the cafe car
In almost all cases, seating capacity is reduced, which really hurts those trains which were already at or close to standing room only. The cafe car substitution is significant to those who use the onboard wifi since the wifi hotspot is located in the Surfliner cafe cars.

Are the Surfliner cars undergoing some kind of maintenance all at once?

Not sure, but I remember reading somewhere that they might replace the bi-level cars with single Siemens Cars.
Can anyone clarify that? Or are they going to keep the bi-levels?

The version I heard from one of the Surfliner Conductor was that the bilevels from NorCal, including the ones for the Capitol Corridor, are coming to SoCal and the single-level are staying up in Norcal.

In the last few months I have seen some Pacific Surfliner coaches and business class cars go out on the Southwest Chief, probably on the way to Beech Grove for service. LOSSAN is also preparing to add additional service in the fall which means more equipment will be needed.

Pretty sure the single-level Siemens cars will be used on the San Joaquins while the Capitol Corridor and Pacific Surfliners will continue to use bilevel equipment.

In the last few months I have seen some Pacific Surfliner coaches and business class cars go out on the Southwest Chief, probably on the way to Beech Grove for service. LOSSAN is also preparing to add additional service in the fall which means more equipment will be needed.

I've have not been keeping up with the news. Whats the new service being added?

It sounds to me like it’s one more round trip over the entire length of the corridor. This means a new SAN-LAX train and extensions of existing trains from LAX to GTA & SLO. Exact times have not been announced yet.

The version I heard from one of the Surfliner Conductor was that the bilevels from NorCal, including the ones for the Capitol Corridor, are coming to SoCal and the single-level are staying up in Norcal.

This is partially true. The version I have heard is that when the single level Siemens are delivered to the San Joaquins, the Capitol Corridor JPA plans to take the bilevel equipment to supplement their fleet. The CCJPA too wants to add more trains/trains with 5 or more cars to ease overcrowding. Norcal is hurting for equipment as well so I can't see them sending anything down south, even after the Siemens cars are delivered

It sounds to me like it’s one more round trip over the entire length of the corridor. This means a new SAN-LAX train and extensions of existing trains from LAX to GTA & SLO. Exact times have not been announced yet.

I really hope they don't turn more of the 500 series trains into 700 series. The 700 series from my personal experience tend to be late most frequently.

I really hope they don't turn more of the 500 series trains into 700 series. The 700 series from my personal experience tend to be late most frequently.

I don’t have any insider knowledge, so this is just a guess. I expect to see a new 500 series train each way, an existing 500 series train converted to a 700 series each way, and one existing 700 series train extended from Goleta to San Luis Obispo each way. Also, changes this substantive will require adjustments to the crew and equipment rotations in the schedule. LOSSAN staff are probably very aware of the on-time performance issues in the current schedule and will make adjustments to correct for them.

They should add an LAX-SFO train. Work out the details with CalTrains to use a track at CalTrains Station and ROW access. Shouldn’t have to take an LD to Oakland and then arrive after nightfall (unless they’ve changed the schedule to earlier since Summer 2017) THEN have to take BART across the bay.

Back