Boston Copley Place Good Central Area?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seat38a

Engineer
So I'm heading to Boston for the long Labor Day weekend. I'm thinking of staying at the Westin or Marriott Copley Place. Is this a good central area of the city to stay and see most of the city? First time in Boston so will want to do all the touristy stuff. It would have been great if I was able to take a week and hit both NY and Boston together and even take the Acela for the first time between the two cities, but with work and all, I have to break up the trip into two parts.

How is the subway system in Boston?

I stayed at the Fairmont Copley Plaza and found it to be a great location. Spent some time that first evening sitting at the Fairmont's Bar watching a Red Sox Game with some Red Sox fans and Bartender. One of the most enjoyable evenings I have ever spent at a hotel's bar for this Cincinnati Reds fan.

You can’t go wrong with either hotel, and the Boston Sheraton is another good choice. All these hotels connect directly to the Copley Place/Prudential Center Malls, and as mentioned the Back Bay Station.

The T (subway, bus and trolley), will get you to all the places you need to be, and for stays of 2 days or more, buy the 7 day unlimited ticket. It’s good on all busses, subways, trolleys, and up to zone 1A on Commuter Rail (perfect for getting to Fenway Park).

Enjoy

Ken

You can’t go wrong with either hotel, and the Boston Sheraton is another good choice. All these hotels connect directly to the Copley Place/Prudential Center Malls, and as mentioned the Back Bay Station.

The T (subway, bus and trolley), will get you to all the places you need to be, and for stays of 2 days or more, buy the 7 day unlimited ticket. It’s good on all busses, subways, trolleys, and up to zone 1A on Commuter Rail (perfect for getting to Fenway Park).

Enjoy

Ken

Yes the Sheraton is definitely a contender. Ever since the merger, there seems to be a Bonvoy property across the street from each other.

Suggestion. If price is an issue. Check out the Courtyard Marriott next the the Route 128 station. I stay there frequently, it’s affordable, lots of food options, and from the time I get off my Amtrak train to the time I’m in the lobby it’s 5 minutes. The only drawback is relying on Commuter Rail. Which in the Boston area is poorly scheduled on weekends.

The most important question of them all. Where's the best lobster in Boston? :)

Yankee Lobster in the Seaport is the best. It’s no frills, and not that touristy. If you want touristy than the Union Oyster House is hard to beat.

Legal Seafoods is always reliable, and their best options are Legal LTX in Downtown Crossing (a few blocks from Macy’s), or the Legal Test Kitchen in the Seaport.

The best regular Legal Seafood is their 3 level megaplex at the Seaport. The test kitchen is not located there.

Enjoy

Ken

I've stayed at the Westin Copley. Very good. Try the restaurant "Top of the Hub" at the top of the Pru Center.

It's been awhile, but I stayed at the Westin as well and agree with your evaluation. Well located for my purposes. Never tried the Top of the Hub Restaurant, however.

It's been awhile, but I stayed at the Westin as well and agree with your evaluation. Well located for my purposes. Never tried the Top of the Hub Restaurant, however.

I wish Durgin-Park was still around. I loved going there. The waitresses were all, pretty much like Poly Holiday's character "Flo." I used to impress them by being able to rattle off my order without missing a beat.

Just around the corner from Copley Square and very near the Copley T stop on Boylston Street is s very small hotel, the Charlesmark. The rooms are small but it’s generally cheaper than the big hotels nearby. I also really like the bar there.

I stayed at the Fairmont Copley Plaza and found it to be a great location. Spent some time that first evening sitting at the Fairmont's Bar watching a Red Sox Game with some Red Sox fans and Bartender. One of the most enjoyable evenings I have ever spent at a hotel's bar for this Cincinnati Reds fan.
Unfortunately for me, the Titanium status makes it a bit difficult to go out of the Marriott gravitational pull.

Are both the food and view impressive or view impressive but the food so so?

The view is certainly impressive, especially at night, when i saw it (about 10pm). I was late in arriving into Boston from NYC because of weather delays. They were nice enough to keep the kitchen open for me. The food was also pretty decent, but that's an "eye of the beholder" kind of thing. They also had live entertainment as well.

I'd say go for it!

Unfortunately for me, the Titanium status makes it a bit difficult to go out of the Marriott gravitational pull.

As a Marriott Rewards Member (or whatever the new name for the program is), I understand. With the start of the new program, I lost my previous status to the next lower level. But, I still prefer Marriott properties with the Fairmont properties being preference #2.

Try Hotwire and specify Back Bay and you might score a nice hotel. We will be there around the same time and will be staying in downtown area.

If it's your first time in Bean town choose either Back Bay or Theater District or Water Front. Avoid Financial district as it will will be quiet and less fun at night or weekend.

There is a great, informative, Travel Blogger on You Tube, Wolters World, and his series of 5 things you will hate and love about key
international cities are very informative, and he really loves Boston, which has been our home going on 4 years.

One insider tip, which rarely gets any mention from the tourists sites and guides is the Harborfront is Eastie (East Boston), which gives you the best
views of the ever changing skyline, and has one of the most beautiful modern era parks in the city, Piers Park. It is all right by the Maverick station
along the Blue Line (turn left when exiting the cars for the Harborfront exit). The pictures shows one of the views from here.

Ken +T9gdN3fTFqUVFpvSpB8cw.jpg

Back