Tips for a Amtrak Coach newbie

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aside from the screw ups which i'm sure occur, the ability of commuter ticket or cross honor situations helps create the possibility of more passengers than seats. My opinion (not a validated fact) is that lack of seats because of unoccupied seats is likely to create more negative thinking than passengers who will stop riding because they can't have 2 seats.

Aside from the screw ups which i'm sure occur, the ability of commuter ticket or cross honor situations helps create the possibility of more passengers than seats. My opinion (not a validated fact) is that lack of seats because of unoccupied seats is likely to create more negative thinking than passengers who will stop riding because they can't have 2 seats.

Good marketing can overcome most potential negative thinking. Wouldn't you rather be able to choose, the aisle or window, or pay for both? And as long as Amtrak is getting the revenue, the financial bottom line is the same. Plus, if people wanted 2 seats in coach because it was less than a sleeper, benefits to the entire coach car would ensue. I don't have to spell them out.

On Southwest, I can reserve two seats for myself. (It's actually required, due to my size.) They give me a piece of paper that says "Seat Reserved", which I place on the seat next to me.

As people board, they see that seat is taken. Nobody complains to a flight attendant. Nobody forces themself into the seat.

The conductors say it's hard to explain to people why they can't sit in an empty seat. I see no reason why Amtrak couldn't also issue a similar document.

Obviously, this is going to be difficult on unreserved trains that sometimes fill up with more passengers than the train can hold. I am speaking only about reserved trains.

As far as getting two seats, once the train empties out a bit, that's when I very sweetly ask for a seat next to an empty seat to the person I've already tipped when I got on the train, then I tip them again. My method is to get people to talk about themselves... about their kids, about where they live. It usually works. If they're expecting a lot of people to get on at another stop soon, it's a temporary extra seat until the train fills up again.

As far as getting two seats, once the train empties out a bit, that's when I very sweetly ask for a seat next to an empty seat to the person I've already tipped when I got on the train, then I tip them again. My method is to get people to talk about themselves... about their kids, about where they live. It usually works. If they're expecting a lot of people to get on at another stop soon, it's a temporary extra seat until the train fills up again.

It's your prerogative to live your life based on your own moral code and ethical standards, but to my eyes what you are describing looks more like a bribe than a tip.

Mostly just confirming what others have said.

From Chicago, unless you are leaving on an especially busy day, your car will most likely be "open seating" so you can find what looks to be a good window seat and a hope for no seat mate. No guarantees, but highly likely.

I've never brought a blanket, but always make it a point to wear a heavy shirt and long pants, even in summer. The coach cars do get cold at night. Some sort of travel pillow will be helpful. Sleep is possible in small doses, but you will probably be very eager to see daylight come and an opportunity to get an early coffee from the Cafe car.

I usually do a happy hour in the observation car prior to dinner with a couple of drinks from down below and some mixed nuts, etc.

Certainly try for dinner in the dining car, but you may need to be proactive rather than hoping to be asked. If nobody comes around with reservation requests by 5 PM, I just go to the door of the dining car and tell them I'd like to reserve a time. They are often "grumpy" about it, but I've never been completely turned down. Breakfast in the diner is never a problem. But, depending on your time constraints after arrival in Denver, be aware that you can get a truly excellent breakfast in Union Station at "Snooze".

That about covers it. Have a great trip!

Is Snooze a restaurant or bar, or some sort of eatery within Denver Union Station? Or say like across the street, from that station? I suspect during that long smoke/stretch break, there'd be some nearby places nearby one could run to for a bite to eat.

1. Bring a pack of makeup remover wipes. There's a big restroom that has a little bench and a nice mirror for putting on makeup,with a sink and an outlet for your flat iron or curling iron.

2. Eat dinner in sometimes in the diner but get pizza for your first night. Can't remember the the name of the place across from Union station but it's pretty good. They'll bring it over to the station if you don't feel like carrying it. Get enough to share.

3. Bring wine in those little plastic bottles. Bring a few bottles of water, an insulated cup and tea bags or instant coffee. Sometimes I bring a 6 pack cooler for snacks and cheese sticks and yogurt.

4. There's halfway decent stuff for breakfast in the cafe car.

5. Bring a sleeping bag and roll it up tight. Smoosh part of it for a pillow. If you feel like stretching out for awhile, around 10 or 11 go over to the dome car.

6. Tip the attendant to get a seat to yourself. I've done that when I don't want a seatmate and feel like stretching out a bit.

7. Bring an extension cord. You might need it if you don't get the window seat.

8. Use Yelp to find restaurants near stops where you know you'll have at least an hour stop. Call them to have it ready. Breakfast and lunch are overpriced and not very good in the diner.

I'd love to know what you do with the cardstock and tape!?

I've never tried #6(tipping an attendant to get a seat to yourself in coach), does that ever work? I suspect at certain times the attendants wouldn't be able to do anything about sold out trains, and that if anything, I'd worry that I would be risking annoying him to try to tip to do that. But who knows, if a lot of people try that and it works, maybe I'd try doing so on a less crowded long distance train? And by #2, do you mean Beggar's Pizza? I remember they have a location that's kitty corner away, from old hall(or whatever the historic waiting room area is called) of Chicago Union Station.

And for #8, I always look up yelp and google for ideas of possible places I could walk to and get a bite at(if remaining time at smoke/stretch stops allows for it quickly, without being left behind when you get back to the station), for any longer smoke/stretch stops(i.e. Denver, Albuquerque, Indianapolis, Minot, etc).

Is Snooze a restaurant or bar, or some sort of eatery within Denver Union Station?

What's the difference between a restaurant and an eatery? Snooze is a brunch place with a bar featuring bright fiberglass furniture and a millennial hipster vibe. I've had both good and bad luck with Snooze. My main advice is go there when it's busy. Stay away near opening/closing times when it's dead.

At Union Station in Chicago coach passengers can buy a $25 day pass to the Metropolitan Lounge. This will get you a nice quiet waiting area and priority boarding ahead of everyone else. Best $25 I spent on my last trip. The attendant gathered us up at boarding time and walked us past the hoards of people in the general waiting area right to the train. Coach cars are assigned based on your destination but they were happy to accommodate a window seat on the side of the train I wanted to be on. https://chicagounionstation.com/travel/metropolitan-lounge

Is Snooze a restaurant or bar, or some sort of eatery within Denver Union Station? Or say like across the street, from that station? I suspect during that long smoke/stretch break, there'd be some nearby places nearby one could run to for a bite to eat.

It's a restaurant specializing in breakfast, brunch and lunch. They do serve alcohol, but limited items and probably 80% of their clientele stick with water, coffee, etc. Located right inside Union Station about 100 ft from the tracks.

I've always had positive experiences with the food - rather innovative menu for breakfast. My only warning is that when it gets busy it could take awhile to get seated and waited on. If your final destination is Denver, it is ideal. But I wouldn't recommend trying it if you arrive and leave on the westbound Zephyr. If busy, the layover may not be long enough.

It's a restaurant specializing in breakfast, brunch and lunch. They do serve alcohol, but limited items and probably 80% of their clientele stick with water, coffee, etc. Located right inside Union Station about 100 ft from the tracks.

I've always had positive experiences with the food - rather innovative menu for breakfast. My only warning is that when it gets busy it could take awhile to get seated and waited on. If your final destination is Denver, it is ideal. But I wouldn't recommend trying it if you arrive and leave on the westbound Zephyr. If busy, the layover may not be long enough.

I'm around DUS quite a bit and I'll second Boulder's motion. Snooze is great if your time is flexible. If you are passing through, there are three places on the right hand (west) side of the station waiting room to serve you. First, a sandwich place that uses good bread, second is Pigtrain Coffee (which is better than it sounds) which has the usual pastries, third is an ice cream place. If you go any further, past the 105th Meridian landmark, you are out on the street with too many possibilities to write about. You will also hear two shorts and your train will leave without you.

Tips from someone who enjoys Coach.. What can day I love making train friends and never have had any creepy seat mates. The Amish and Mennonite families are a joy to travel with. Well behaved children and kind people.

Tips for Chicago to Emeryville and other long distance trips

1. Bring a pack of makeup remover wipes. There's a big restroom that has a little bench and a nice mirror for putting on makeup,with a sink and an outlet for your flat iron or curling iron.

2. Eat dinner in sometimes in the diner but get pizza for your first night. Can't remember the the name of the place across from Union station but it's pretty good. They'll bring it over to the station if you don't feel like carrying it. Get enough to share.

3. Bring wine in those little plastic bottles. Bring a few bottles of water, an insulated cup and tea bags or instant coffee. Sometimes I bring a 6 pack cooler for snacks and cheese sticks and yogurt.

4. There's halfway decent stuff for breakfast in the cafe car.

5. Bring a sleeping bag and roll it up tight. Smoosh part of it for a pillow. If you feel like stretching out for awhile, around 10 or 11 go over to the dome car.

6. Tip the attendant to get a seat to yourself. I've done that when I don't want a seatmate and feel like stretching out a bit.

7. Bring an extension cord. You might need it if you don't get the window seat.

8. Use Yelp to find restaurants near stops where you know you'll have at least an hour stop. Call them to have it ready. Breakfast and lunch are overpriced and not very good in the diner.

I'd love to know what you do with the cardstock and tape!?

I think a lot of this is "different strokes for different folks." When I started riding Amtrak overnight on a regular basis, I did coach. It was fine, until one ride when it really wasn't (creepy seatmate but they didn't touch me, they just kept talking at me, and finally he asked me if he could give me his address so that if I ever cut my ponytail off, I could send it to him (!?!?!?!) After that request, I got up and got permission from the conductor to ride the rest of the way in the lounge car, luckily my trip was almost over...)

After that, I decided it was worth it to me, personally, to pay for a roomette. It MIGHT be different for men than for women in this, I don't know. And I think it would be very different if I were not travelling alone - I'd be willing to brave coach again if I had someone I liked I was travelling with to sit next to, and to be insulated a bit from the creeps (I realize the probability of that is low, but still - when it happens, it's not fun)

For other people, saving money might take precedence and they might be comfortable trying to do things like buying two seats and then tipping the conductor to ensure being able to get both those seats together. I'm not that assertive. And I usually travel at holiday times (Thanksgiving, Christmas, academic spring breaks) when the coach tends to be totally full.

I also have a very hard time falling asleep and the comparative privacy (and ability to lie down) in the sleeper helps a good bit. usually I didn't sleep more than an hour or two in coach, usually in a sleeper I can snag at least 4-5 hours, which makes a lot of difference between "feeling like death warmed over" vs. "feeling kinda human" once I reach my destination

This is totally a YMMV thing, but for me, I have a vast preference for a roomette, and I'm willing to spend the money for one (or the points, if I have enough points saved up...)

I've found the places in the renovated Denver Union Station to be pretty good, of course, everyone may have their own views. With the hotel and commuter traffic, the station has really come alive.

How on earth do they determine "obesity caused by a disability" vs. "obesity because you use frosting as a condiment"?
Well, for example, if someone has bad lungs and is hooked up to an oxygen machine, they are not likely to get adequate exercise to keep extra weight off. Plus, there are certain kinds of endocrinology disorders that self-discipline can't help with.

Well, for example, if someone has bad lungs and is hooked up to an oxygen machine, they are not likely to get adequate exercise to keep extra weight off. Plus, there are certain kinds of endocrinology disorders that self-discipline can't help with.
Oh, right. I get that. :) I just feel that it would be much harder to prove something like an endocrine disorder vs. walking on with an oxygen machine or something else that's more "obvious". I'm not sure if Amtrak would require a doctor's note, or if you have a book it a certain way?

It's kind of like when people give someone a hard time for having a handicap plate on their vehicle when they appear healthy, even though that person may suffer from some kind of heart/lung condition that makes it difficult to walk across a parking lot.

Oh, right. I get that. :) I just feel that it would be much harder to prove something like an endocrine disorder vs. walking on with an oxygen machine or something else that's more "obvious". I'm not sure if Amtrak would require a doctor's note, or if you have a book it a certain way?

It's kind of like when people give someone a hard time for having a handicap plate on their vehicle when they appear healthy, even though that person may suffer from some kind of heart/lung condition that makes it difficult to walk across a parking lot.
I would imagine that they would at the very least have to book it through an agent by phone. I also would like to know if a note from a physician would be required.

Back