Delayed Departure...Shorter Vacation...What are my options?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alang

Train Attendant
Expecting an eight hour delay in departure of CZ from LNK. Long night in the Amshack. The delay essentially eliminates one day from our trip to California. Can I request my return on June 5th instead of June 4th? Obviously, I expect any additional expense to be picked up by Amtrak. What are my options?

I've had 3 totally canceled trips on the A/T over the years. That's 650 passengers at each end. With the AGR I was able to get on the next day, however, due to crowded conditions, some had to wait THREE days at the Comfort Inn for an opening. Compensation = 0

In my opinion, you don't have any options other than to call Amtrak and modify your ticket. The key word to use is 'modify'. At this late date, only roomette and handicap rooms are available (I just checked Amtrak.com). Apparently, there's a number of people cancelling or revising their travel plans due to flooding concerns.

Amtrak isn't going to pick up your expenses just because you prefer a vacation of a certain length. You can request a voucher for future travel in compensation for the inconvenience of the delay. You're unlikely to get it in time to apply it toward the return leg of this trip, but at least it's something.

April 2014 I had a non-refundable rental of a resort condo in Whitefish and an AGR redemption of an H - room (for me and my elderly father) HOS-LAX-PDX-WFH. A couple weeks before our departure, Amtrak made a temporary schedule change which broke our connection in Portland. To make matters worse, the H - room from Portland was sold out the next two days. Fortunately, I was able to switch our connection point to Seattle where an H - room was available on the next day's train. Overnight in Seattle at my own expense and had to accept a day's shorter stay at the condo. No compensation whatsoever. Oh well.

Back