Will Richard Anderson step down in June?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back from a long trip and the talk from some of the onboard crew was that Richard Anderson's two year contract ends in June 2019 and that he will be stepping down as Amtrak president. This is obviously unconfirmed information and may be rumors, but has anyone else heard anything like this?

Stephen Gardner is a very likely one. He will definitely be the "Acting" one pending the appointment of a permanent one through the nomination process, which may or may not happen for years, given the current trends.

I realize many on this forum have no love of Gardner or the author of this recent commentary in Passenger Train Journal, Don Phillips. Phillips said earlier this year:

"I think that one of the top candidates to succeed strange Amtrak President Richard Anderson would reverse almost everything Anderson has done, and would become the darling of people who love passenger trains. I must emphasize that I have not had a chance to talk to this man, and I may be totally wrong" Phillips continues to say this is pure speculation but:
"My guess is that if he rises to the top, Gardner will reverse all the bad things Anderson has done. Almost immediately, those sickening quickie boxed meals on the Capitol Limited and the Lake Shore Limited will be history, and dining cars will return. (I will never eat one of those quickie “meals” again.) Such stupid ideas as splitting the Southwest Chief and using buses to transport passengers in the middle of the route will never be heard again. Rather than ignoring the press and television news, Gardner will have numerous interviews and press conferences. In short, I think Gardner could be-come one of the best Amtrak presidents in decades."

So, is the devil you know better than a new one?

It all comes down to 2020 at this point. If we have a different administration, different Secretary of Transportation things will be looking up. Whoever it is shouldn’t be as anti Amtrak as Trump. With pushback from the top Anderson and Gardner will move on if they are still on the premises.

I realize many on this forum have no love of Gardner or the author of this recent commentary in Passenger Train Journal, Don Phillips. Phillips said earlier this year:

"I think that one of the top candidates to succeed strange Amtrak President Richard Anderson would reverse almost everything Anderson has done, and would become the darling of people who love passenger trains. I must emphasize that I have not had a chance to talk to this man, and I may be totally wrong" Phillips continues to say this is pure speculation but:
"My guess is that if he rises to the top, Gardner will reverse all the bad things Anderson has done. Almost immediately, those sickening quickie boxed meals on the Capitol Limited and the Lake Shore Limited will be history, and dining cars will return. (I will never eat one of those quickie “meals” again.) Such stupid ideas as splitting the Southwest Chief and using buses to transport passengers in the middle of the route will never be heard again. Rather than ignoring the press and television news, Gardner will have numerous interviews and press conferences. In short, I think Gardner could be-come one of the best Amtrak presidents in decades."

So, is the devil you know better than a new one?

Another reason that I can’t stand Don Phillips. Where does he think that Anderson is getting the ideas from? Outside of the board.

Back from a long trip and the talk from some of the onboard crew was that Richard Anderson's two year contract ends in June 2019 and that he will be stepping down as Amtrak president. This is obviously unconfirmed information and may be rumors, but has anyone else heard anything like this?

I doubt it although it largely depends in his health and if the powers that be want him to remain. Left to him, as long as he remains healthy, you will see him stay around until 2021. He wants to re-fleet the system and introduce the new Acela sets.

Last edited:
Back