Hiawatha equipment?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never seen a Superliner set used for the Hiawatha (which is not to say it's never happened). In my hundreds of Hiawatha rides over 20-plus years it's always been a single-level set.

Not sure, as I haven't either, but thought I read it here
at some point in the past, for whatever reason, like no single level cars readily available, or something like that....
I suppose it would have been a treat for some rider's, if so....

I've never seen a Superliner set used for the Hiawatha (which is not to say it's never happened). In my hundreds of Hiawatha rides over 20-plus years it's always been a single-level set.

In the mid-1980's, it was common to see the former C&NW bi-level intercity passenger cars assigned to one of the Hiawatha trainsets. In 1986, I rode the Hiawatha with these bi-levels and the former cafe-coach bi-level was one of the cars on the train.

Amtrak also used the former C&NW bi-levels on the Chicago to Valparaiso, IN trains until those trains were discontinued.

They used turboliners in the late 70s early 80s. A couple of times I rode to Milwaukee on 7 and had lunch in the diner. This was when it left around 11. You could still ride it to Milwaukee. Then I would catch a turboliner back to Chicago.

Back