Last Intercity 125 from Paddington

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and they're not finsihed yet. Some will be refurbihed and used on other routes.

Most of the IC125s are now running up on Scotrail & will continue to do so. And GWR will continue to run Class 43s & Mk3 consists (but not IC125, shorter trains) in the southwest.

Here is Geoff Marshall's video on the last ones. Even includes a trip into the engine room!

peter

The trains were British engineering at its best !!!
I rode them in 1992 when I was over there on a two week Britarail Pass.
A lot of the newer trains coming online aren't even close to in comfort to the HST'S.
Long live the HST'S !!!:):):)

The trains were British engineering at its best !!!
I rode them in 1992 when I was over there on a two week Britarail Pass.
A lot of the newer trains coming online aren't even close to in comfort to the HST'S.
Long live the HST'S !!!:):):)

True, the Mk3 coach (which the HST uses, but is also to be found in other uses) is still being held up today as the benchmark in rolling stock excellence, and all new trains are compared to it

How embarrassing that nothing new has emerged in the intervening years that could replace it in that capacity.

Surprisingly Mk 3s apparently also meet the FRA buff strength standards, or are very close to it. They are built like brick shithouses, but have been furnished well inside so far. Now they are even getting remotely operated sliding doors replacing those classic slam doors, in their latest refurbishment - the so called "Castle Class" refurbishment..

But truth be told about the HST power heads... I still miss the whine of a Paxman Valenta winding up for departure in those power heads. :(

But truth be told about the HST power heads... I still miss the whine of a Paxman Valenta winding up for departure in those power heads. :(

Who are you telling?

My childhood home directly adjoined the Great Western main line. The track was in a deep cutting in this location and there were dense trees so it was difficult to actually see any trains (West of Tilehurst for those who may know the location), But hear them I could. I basically grew up with the music in my ears.

Back