Random BOA Amtrak Card, AGR points questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troo troo tcrane

Train Attendant
I just received my spanking new card (BOA Amtrak MasterCard no fee card, the silver one) and I am itching to use it. Got a few novice questions regarding points, rewards, etc.

My husband and I both have AGR membership numbers but the BOA card is under with my number only even though we each have a card.

Questions:

1, I purchased our tickets for two using another card. Is it possible to transfer the purchase somehow to my new Amtrak MasterCard to earn points or am I SOL?

2, Dumb me, I forgot to give the my husband's membership number when I made the purchase. Can I add it afterwards so he can earn points or is he SOL?

3, Our upcoming travel comes after 24 months plus 5 days since our last. He does not have a MasterCard under his own membership number but he does have a card under my membership number. Does it mean his points will not expire after 24 months or is he still SOL?

4, My husband will use the new MasterCard to make $1000 purchase to earn that 12,000 points and I know the points will come under my membership. But, would that count as a "qualifying activity" or is he still SOL and subject to losing his points?

5, OK, I just asked my husband to complete a survey. He tried but was told the survey was not right and he only earned 5 points for trying. Did that count as a "qualifying activity" or is he still SOL?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
1. You can cancel and rebook, but that may end up being more expensive.

2. You can call and add his number so that he gets the points for traveling.

3,4. The card is tied to your AGR account only. His use of the card has no connection to his AGR account whatsoever.

5. Any activity that earns or redeems points should count as activity and reset the clock.

Can you husband take a short roundtrip where you live? I'm in the northeast so I can easily take a roundtrip to the next Amtrak station but I realize that most people around the country cannot do this. If that's not feasible where you live, perhaps it is at your destination?

5. Any activity that earns or redeems points should count as activity and reset the clock.

Just the possession of the AGR MasterCard (in good standing, of course) eliminates the expiration of (your) points.
Your husband will need "activity" (such as that survey) on his AGR account to prevent the expiration of his points since he does have a CC in his name.

In your question 2...if you call and add his AGR number as Ryan mentioned, he will earn points which will reset the expiration calendar.

Last edited:
I just received my spanking new card (BOA Amtrak MasterCard no fee card, the silver one) and I am itching to use it. Got a few novice questions regarding points, rewards, etc.

My husband and I both have AGR membership numbers but the BOA card is under with my number only even though we each have a card.
Big mistake! I opened separate accounts for each of us and so we both got bonuses and we are both protected from losing points. You might consider deleting him from account then after a few months, have him apply for his own card (and his own bonus). We actually got 3 bonuses - I got pay card with big bonus and she got regular one. Then, after a year or two, I canceled my pay card and got free one for a third bonus.

I think your other questions were answered.

Back