Redeem eVoucher For Food?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have $20 leftover from an eVoucher. Am I able to redeem an eVoucher on a Cafe Car or Dining Car? Or, is there a way I can convert the eVoucher, whether it's at a ticket office or some other method, to some other form that I would be able to use for a meal while aboard the train?

I am pretty sure that you are unable to redeem an eVoucher for food on the train.

Here is a link to page regarding vouchers at Amtrak.com. After reading that page, I made the assumption that eVouchers may only be redeemed for train travel. To make sure, you may want to phone Amtrak.

Why not use it towards your next train ticket (assuming you're not using points) and then use the $20 you saved on the ticket for food. You can use voucher & "cash" to buy tickets.

That is a definite no-go when it comes to using an eVoucher on board a train. eVouchers are for travel only, nothing else. Not even Amtrak gift cards are accepted onboard. Food must be purchased with cash, credit card, or debit card only. An eVoucher is either use it for travel within validity period or lose it.

That is a definite no-go when it comes to using an eVoucher on board a train. eVouchers are for travel only, nothing else. Not even Amtrak gift cards are accepted onboard. Food must be purchased with cash, credit card, or debit card only. An eVoucher is either use it for travel within validity period or lose it.

Buy a ticket with it on a route you know you’ll use for a year (11 months) out at low bucket then play the modify game when you know your dates. 20 bucks is 20 bucks..

I hope there are plans to allow gift card redemption onboard. Had a customer recently use one for his ticket and the residual was all he had to buy food. He thought it'd work right up to when his pizza was heating up and the LSA asked for payment. Oops.

Thanks for the input. It would be nice if eVouchers and gift cards were accepted on board for food. I understand the thought behind using it for travel later, but it would also be nice to have an option to exhaust a voucher like that with a low dollar amount for food, or even if they could offer food vouchers or something equivalent to buy/transfer online would be nice. Either way, Amtrak is getting its money. The voucher is actually my sister's and I don't know the next time she would take a trip. It's just nice to not worry about a voucher somewhere deep in your inbox months later, or forgetting about it.

Back