Work at New York Penn

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a bit surprised they didn't go with the maneuverable, waterproof plastic/rubber ties which are being used in Chicago L's subway sections now, specifically because of their resistance to water damage. They're not great for high speeds but that shouldn't be an issue inside Penn Station.

Here comes round two. Wick Moorman presses on!:

Penn Station train changes announced for winter track work

Please allow a few "fair use" quotes:

Tracks 15, 18, and 19 -- all used by the LIRR -- will be taken out of service in January and will "probably" remain out of service until May as Amtrak plans a "total reconstruction" of the three tracks. They will work on the tracks one at a time.

Additionally:

Here's a list of changes for Amtrak service from January 4 to May 28:
- Amtrak is cancelling Northeast Regional Trains 110 from Washington, D.C. (WAS) to New York Penn Station (NYP) and 127 from NYP to WAS
- Northbound Keystone Train 640 will terminate at Newark Penn Station
- Southbound Keystone Train 643 will originate at Newark Penn Station
- Southbound Train 173 will stop at Newark Airport
- Southbound Trains 129, 193 and 653 will all have earlier departure times.
- Train 170 will also depart WAS early, stop at North Philadelphia and Cornwells Heights and resume its schedule from Trenton

NJ Transit announced the following changes from January 8 through May 28:

--NJCL train 3216, the 6:11 a.m. eastbound Long Branch departure, will now depart at 6:23 a.m. and will be diverted to Hoboken renumbered as 2604
--NEC train 3122, the 7:06 a.m. eastbound departure from New Brunswick will terminate at Newark Penn Station renumbered as 5822.
--NJCL train 3267, the 5:25 p.m. departure from PSNY, will originate from Hoboken at 5:22 p.m. renumbered as 2609
--NEC train 3171, the 5:43 p.m. departure from PSNY, will originate at Newark Penn Station at 6:03 p.m. renumbered as 5869
--NJCL train 3441, the 6:51 p.m. departure from PSNY, will be canceled

The Long Island Rail Road is also expected to announce service schedule adjustments.

An MTA spokesman said the changes will be nowhere near the summer disruptions for the LIRR -- and "we're currently negotiating with Amtrak to ensure the minimal impact to our customers as possible - but we expect no more than a few trains will be involved."

Work in the area of Track 15 involves the demolition and replacement of a section of concrete (similar to the work done on Track 10 over the summer) and Track 18's work involves concrete demolition and replacement, steel replacement and rail renewal.

Keep an eye on the website. A few changes are looming. It looks like Empire service will remain in NYP for the summer although there may be a combination train operating. There may also be a rescheduling and/or alteration of a few trains.

Thanks for the heads up.... I hope any revised schedule won't force me to take Metro North. Guess I will hold off on buying another 10-trip ticket till I hear something.

Thanks for the heads up.... I hope any revised schedule won't force me to take Metro North. Guess I will hold off on buying another 10-trip ticket till I hear something.

Click on the link for the basic plan for NJT and LIRR. The Amtrak plan is quoted below:

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loc...ers-Rail-New-York-Penn-Station-509377071.html

Amtrak announced the latest round of major track repairs at New York Penn Station that will impact NJ Transit and LIRR commuters in what could be reminiscent of 2017's "Summer of Hell" for some travelers, but at least one railroad says not to worry.

The latest round of work, also believed to be the last phase, will constitute the replacement of two underground interlocking which directs Amtrak, Long Island Rail Road and NJ TRANSIT trains heading east and west from the East River Tunnels. The work is believed that it will have a bigger effect on LIRR, but it will still bring major changes to the direct service of NJ Transit.

The total cost of the projects is estimated at $30 million. The work on JO Interlocking will occur between June 28, and Sept. 2.

They will also rehab 14 and 15 track. This is bad for JO interlocking since those are two of the four track capable of reaching all of the East River Tunnels in a straight move. You'll likely see LIRR on the low side of NYP.

AMTRAK

Amtrak schedule adjustments during the scheduled rail work will include:

• Northeast Regional Train 110, operating from Washington, D.C. (WAS) to New York Penn Station (NYP), and 127 operating from NYP to WAS will be cancelled;
  • Northbound Keystone Train 640 is terminating at Newark Penn Station (NWK);
  • Southbound Keystone Train 643 is originating at NWK;
  • Southbound Keystone Train 653 is departing NYP early;
  • Cardinal Train 51 will depart NYP early on weekdays only;
  • Maple Leaf Train 63 and Adirondack Train 69 will be combined on the regular time slot for 63 and will split at Albany (ALB).
It wouldn't surprise me if the entire, combined Lake Shore rolled into NYP at some point this summer.

I mean you gotta do what you gotta do as far as track work. And taking 14 and 15 out of service and refreshing them while extremely disruptive it’s gotta be done.

Side note. I just learned why my trains from the Shore Line are constantly on track 14. [emoji4][emoji23]

I'm sorry to read this may be the last Phase. While a lot of the other projects can be performed with standard 55 hour outages, I liked the full court blitz. The station is old. I think they should keep up the summer blitzes when traffic is down. Even if they just use the time to keep the maintenance up to snuff.

Judging by the website, the Cardinal will depart NYP at 610am on weekdays during the construction period.

Back